• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where to stay in Provence

We are 95% set on Vaison-la-Romaine. Absent compelling other suggestions we will go for it. It's been good reading the blogs and trip reports. Other suggestions as to favorite day trips from there or restaurants or wine (or other blogs) will be greatly appreciated, We want to make the most of our 10 days there. Thanks so much to you all.

The nearby village of Cairrane has organized evening walks through the vineyards. It is so beautiful. There is wine tasting along the way with photo-worthy moments all the way. It ends with a dinner - casual. It is a group walk but it doesn't feel like a "field trip". Bring plenty of water! It was SO hot and I didn't. It's about a a couple hrs walking and dinner at the end.

Also, the drive to Abbey de Senanque is beautiful, and if it's lavender time it's amazing.

If Roman ruins are your thing Orange has the amphitheater and of course those right in Vaison.

Isle Sur Sorgue is the brocante/antiquer's paradise.

Grignan, home to the Marquis de Sade, offers a unique perspective of terrain and architecture.

Oh, man, I'm on vacation here in France and I could go on and on..,

There's a nice wine shop on the same street as Roz's and Amy's apartments -- very nice young man will help you choose a wine :)
DD, the wine shop that used to be on Rue Trogue Pompée is now on the Place Montfort. It's the one I mentioned above, where the owner Mathieu serves a wonderful dinner every Friday.

We are leaning towards Vaison-la-Romaine because it seems like it will get us immersed in the country-side more readily. The only concern is whether the town itself will hold our interest for 10 days. We know there are more than 10 days of things to do and see within striking distance, but having trouble picturing what a stroll around town would feel like or the breadth of restaurant/cafe options. Any reassurance that you can provide about that would likely push us over the top. Roz, the place you rented there looks really nice to us.

Any insight about Avignon as a base? Or Nimes (seems a bit out of the heart of things)? Any other thoughts?
I much prefer Vaison to Avignon. Somehow Avignon has never clicked with me, although I haven't actually stayed there. It's not that far from Vaison, though, if you want to visit it.

A visit to Nimes is also quite doable. One of our all time top experiences in France was canoeing down the Gard River and under the Pont du Gard -- truly one of the wonders of the world.

There is quite a variety of restaurants in Vaison, although, like Amy, we usually took day trips and had lunch in one of the many beautiful nearby villages. Here is a link to a photo album from our trip last year: France 2016. If you click on the first photo and make sure the info window is open, you can read a brief caption describing each photo as you click through. I think that will give you an idea of the range of options for activities and restaurants in Vaison and nearby. This was actually our 2nd visit, and we didn't repeat much from the prior trip in 2014, so I don't think you're likely to get bored!

There is quite a variety of restaurants in Vaison, although, like Amy, we usually took day trips and had lunch in one of the many beautiful nearby villages. Here is a link to a photo album from our trip last year: France 2016. If you click on the first photo and make sure the info window is open, you can read a brief caption describing each photo as you click through. I think that will give you an idea of the range of options for activities and restaurants in Vaison and nearby. This was actually our 2nd visit, and we didn't repeat much from the prior trip in 2014, so I don't think you're likely to get bored!
Roz -- I so enjoyed your photos -- took me back to our trip from a couple of years ago. I had forgotten how lovely Vaison and the countryside are! I especially loved the soup competition -- how fun. And thanks for letting me know the wine shop has moved. I think I must plan another trip to the area...

DD

Roz, the pictures are great and really helpful. Laura, the suggestions for the area have started me plotting things on the map. Thankful to Pauline and DD too for their insights, Am quickly understanding that 10 days are not nearly enough. But alas, this is the tail end of an 8 week trip and we have a wedding to attend back home later in May. At least when we get home we will be able to start planning our next trip to experience some of things that we have to miss. As we get more into the smaller details of the trip other questions will come. In the meantime, we love the blogs, trip reports, suggestions and pictures.

Another fan of Vaison. It was a good base for all the reasons mentioned by others. It's a great introduction to Provence.

I've also based in Aix for a week and can recommend it as well. You'll find more night time vibe.

Then, there's Nice or Antibes on the coast -- I also recommend.

To me, it's a tie! You can't go wrong with any of those bases. All are interesting in terms of ambiance, markets, food, scenery -- that is why I've base in all four of those villages (and Mougins), on different trips to Provence.

You'll spend more time driving a car if based in Vaison or Aix, and more time walking or using the train if based in Nice or Antibes. In fact, I don't recommend renting a car when based in Nice or Antibes.

So, my friend -- for this trip, go for Vaison, but plan to return to Provence and try the other wonderful places.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina