• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Who's traveling in France this year? Let's share plans...

If you have some days around Tours, then you might visit the magnificently restored medieval Plantagenet city of Le Mans, birthplace of King Henri II and stage set to most historic movies, much more spectacular than Tours. And the quaint little Loir valley, full of farmer's markets, romanesque chapels and romantic gardens, and a bit away from the heavy tourist crowds which are in the immediate vicinity of the famous castles, which are also a must to see, Chenonceau, Amboise, Cheverny, Blois, Chambord, Villandry.
You might wish to take a look at being a guest in our château, which has been in our family, 20 générations unbroken lineage, since 1404. http://chateaudelabarre.com
Since you will have three months in Oxford, the Wolsey Lodges website, or http://www.scotlandmadeeasy.co.uk/ will be full of tips to visit England extensively, while being guests in gentlemans homes, from simple homey to grand estates.

Thanks for joining the forums Marnie and posting great local information, but I would ask that you don't post suggesting your business. Instead, tell us all about it in the Arrivals forum and put a description and link in your signature. If you have any problems creating a signature, send me a message (either in a conversation thread on the board or click Contact Us in the footer) and I will get it set up for you. Thanks! And your chateau looks lovely!

We have a wedding in Tours Aug 30th and thought we might use the til end to explore the Loire. This would be just before our 3 month stay in Oxford. We have never explored that part of France. We may endd our overseas stay by returning to Nice for 2 weeks from Dec 13- 28th

Lisa, we're planning to be in Bonnieux next December for about three weeks... not quite sure of our timing yet, but we'll be there until at least December 27. We're hoping to go over to Morocco for four or five days before Christmas, after our daughter arrives.. Maybe there's a way for us to connect if you're in Nice. We really enjoy Christmas in Provence, and I think you will too.

We went to Marocco in 2010 and enjoyed http://www.lesjardinsdeskoura.com/en/, not expensive, but very nice. The Kasbah Tamadot is supposed to be out of this world, but also price wise, unfortunately. And the Maison Arabe was a good choice in Marrakech. Essaouira we found picturesque, very "Orson Wells', but extremely windy, not a good choice if you wish to swim in the ocean

I'll be in Normandy in June for work with a group of donors and then I am going to take a week off and head to Paris. I'm so excited to return!

Heidi: Can you post the link to the apartment? I am not sure if I'm staying with friends or renting a place.

I will be in Paris, Montrouge actually for 9 days from April 5th. This is a week to spend with my old roommate from our college days in Bangalore. She is returning to the area after almost 30 year, having done a post doc stint at Sorbonne while staying at the Citi Universitare. This time her hubby is back on a visiting Professorship and we two get to hang out...no definite plans...just hang out...

Did Shannon say she will be there in April?

We're heading to Paris July 3-13. This will be my first trip, believe it or not, as somehow Italy and Spain always win out. Hubby has been to Paris but not since before we met--at least 25 years ago! And I have to confess, I am finding it hard to get too excited about Paris (don't shoot me!) Hopefully some of the posts here will inspire me ;)

We're heading to Paris July 3-13. This will be my first trip, believe it or not, as somehow Italy and Spain always win out. Hubby has been to Paris but not since before we met--at least 25 years ago! And I have to confess, I am finding it hard to get too excited about Paris (don't shoot me!) Hopefully some of the posts here will inspire me ;)

If you approach Paris as an experience, rather than a destination, hopefully you'll fall in love with it. "Just being there" rather than chasing down the sights is, IMHO, the best approach. We love it there, having gone 1-2 times a year for many years now.

If you approach Paris as an experience, rather than a destination, hopefully you'll fall in love with it. "Just being there" rather than chasing down the sights is, IMHO, the best approach. We love it there, having gone 1-2 times a year for many years now.
Cameron, I agree with you, it's most enjoyable to just experience Paris, on foot, or why not just pick up the Velib bicycles which you find easily available. Insert your cc and ride away, and drop it off at a similar stop anywhere else in the city. You cover so much ground that way, and the bicycles have little baskets in front to put your shopping in. And I think you will still be able to see the exhibition of the Impressionist paintings from private collections at Marmottan museum. Fun places to dine are throughout the city, and better prices often available at lunch menus versus dinner. An unusual place is Nicolas Flamel, the home of the XIVth century Alchemist reputed to have turned lead into gold. His home is now a restaurant. Reserving in advance, you might also be able to do a tour of the Palais Garnier Opera house and it's underground lake. Original.
Also, if you find 10 days to long, why not hop a TGV train out into the countryside for a couple of days? In less than an hour, you can be in Reims for tasting champagne, or in Vendome (43 min) to enjoy the bucolic countryside, farmers markets and even Loire castles.

Heidi: Can you post the link to the apartment? I am not sure if I'm staying with friends or renting a place.

I'm so sorry kcalnyc, I obviously missed your request. It may be too late but I'm staying in Le Buci apartment in the 6th. I actually spontaneously decided to book this apartment after seeing SharonJ post about it on another forum :muted: I'll be there early May, she and her husband will be there a few weeks (?) later.

If you are still looking for an apartment in Paris, I notice Slow Europe has Paris Vacation Rentals listed on the Paris rentals site. I looked there first because I stayed with them last Spring, but they had nothing for my dates this year. The agency is reliable and easy to work with.

Good luck!

We are traveling to the Dordogne area in May. We are renting a lovely house in the town of Beynac for a week and then will take the train to Paris, where we will spend four nights, before heading home. This will be our first trip to the Dordogne area, so a bit nervous. We have visited Paris numerous times and will be renting an apartment in the 6th.
Sharon, I was just reading your 2 reviews on slowtrav of Paris apartments. Which company are you using next month? I'm going with my daughter in October and would prefer an apartment over a hotel, even though I am not familiar with paris.

I'm so sorry kcalnyc, I obviously missed your request. It may be too late but I'm staying in Le Buci apartment in the 6th. I actually spontaneously decided to book this apartment after seeing SharonJ post about it on another forum :muted: I'll be there early May, she and her husband will be there a few weeks (?) later.

If you are still looking for an apartment in Paris, I notice Slow Europe has Paris Vacation Rentals listed on the Paris rentals site. I looked there first because I stayed with them last Spring, but they had nothing for my dates this year. The agency is reliable and easy to work with.

Good luck!
Thanks, and this answers my question to Sharon too. I see this one is available for my 8 nights in October.

Debra, I'll be there in about 23 days *hyperventilate* and can pass along a quick review, if that helps. Of course, the reviews on-line are all glowing... but I'm never certain if the negative ones fail to get published o_O

Debra, I'll be there in about 23 days *hyperventilate* and can pass along a quick review, if that helps. Of course, the reviews on-line are all glowing... but I'm never certain if the negative ones fail to get published o_O
I await your input and wish you fabulous travels.

Last month, in the Favourite France Blogs thread, Chris mentioned Lost in Arles, which reminded me that I'd browsed through the blog a year or two ago, and been very taken by the little cabanon near Simiane-la-Rotonde.

Anyway, I'm delighted to say that I've just booked it for a week in mid-July! I'm really looking forward to exploring that (to me) unknown corner of the N Luberon - I know Kathy has been round there a bit, and Parigi too, so I'll post some queries soon.

I've tacked on an extra 3 nights at the end in Marseille - partly because I've never been there, and because flights back from MP2 to Gatwick (Easyjet) are a lot cheaper away from weekends. And after a week in the middle of the lavender fields, I'm sure that a few days in the centre of Marseille will bring me back to reality!

Jonathan, that's great you booked that little place near Simiane-la-Rotonde... it looks like a great place to relax and explore a more remote area of the Luberon.

You'll be right in the middle of a lavender area and at the ideal time of year. We love visiting up there... were just there last month with my parents and took them on a variation of a day from our "Return to the Luberon" week: Caseneuve, Viens (love this), the gorge at Oppedette, a picnic near Valsaintes, and then Simiane-la-Rotonde. We didn't visit the garden at Valsaintes because it was too much walking for my parents, but this is one of my favorite places. You'll find plenty to do around there... or I think you'll enjoy doing not much of anything!

There's supposed to be a great bookstore in Banon... I need to check that out sometime.

Kathy

That is not far from where we are staying at the end of May, in Forcalquier. I am hoping to do some hiking in the area and can pass on any maps, etc. that we get when there.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina