• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Winter in Switzerland

coleyfagiole

10+ Posts
Well this is exciting - my first post in nearly three years, and I think my first not about Italy!

My son will me in Paris next Nov-Dec and we are hoping to meet him for Christmas week somewhere lovely.
His cousin will be in Zurich and we are thinking of a nice mountain chalet near a town where we can maybe ski one day, maybe snowshoe, mostly relax, eat well, and enjoy the beauty --- Christmas markets! -- for the one week I have my kids captive (they are college and beyond, so the time gets more precious each year).
That's as far as I've gotten - suggestions for locations to start?

Nicole

Last edited:
We go to Switzerland frequently but always in summer. The mountain towns that we go to have hiking in summer and skiing in winter. My favourite area is the Berner Oberland, the mountain valleys south of the lakes Thunersee and Brienzersee (thunder and lightening). Going from east to west you have Grindelwald (very popular), Lauterbrunnen (very popular with Americans, links to Wengen and Murren), Kandersteg (smaller, quieter). Then you get to the Simmental (Simmen Valley) with the popular Gstaad and Saanen, and the quieter Lenk.

We’ve stayed in all of these towns and Lenk is my favourite because we love the hiking there. Any of these towns would be good. Grindelwald, Gstaad and Saanen will be the most expensive. Lauterbrunnen probably the most lively.

I would choose Kandersteg because it is stunningly beautiful and a bit more moderately priced. You can take the train there from Zurich.

There are so many great ski towns in Switzerland. I don’t think you will go wrong with any of them. You may want something closer to Zurich. Or you may want to go to the Valais (Zermatt, Saas Fee, Crans Montana). We spent a couple of weeks in Crans Montana years ago but it was not good for hiking (trails not well signed). I’ve read it is great for skiing and it is a lively town.

The tourist offices for Switzerland are great. They are usually in the format townname.ch. You can view maps of the ski runs.

I have a few articles about Switzerland in the summer. They have photos so you can see the towns.

I’ve always wanted to go to Switzerland in the winter. Many ski towns have walking paths in the winter.

Winter in Switzerland is a fantastic time to visit. While some countries curl up and snooze during the winter months, Switzerland turns into a winter wonderland, so there are plenty of exciting things to do. One of Europe's – indeed the world's – most popular train journeys is the Glacier Express. The views from the train are completely enthralling. You'll enjoy the 180-mile voyage on the world's slowest express train from Zermatt to St Moritz. While sitting in the train's plush interior, you'll enjoy the seven-and-a-half-hour voyage. The journey is completed daily by two private Swiss railways: Rhätische Bahn and Gotthard Bahn. While watching one of the world's most amazing railway views, guests can drink fresh Swiss white wine and a delectable meal of their choice. If you're in Switzerland during the winter, this is a must-do.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina