• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Zurers in Italy 2024

Jim Zurer

500+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
We leave for our annual visit to Italy two weeks from today, April 28. Our itinerary is shown on the map below.

Screenshot 2024-04-14 172726.png

1. Como: April 29-May 4
2. Brescia: May 4-7
3. San Quirico d'Orcia: May 7-12
4. Rome: May 12-17
5. Todi: May 17-21
6: Ascoli Piceno: May 21-24
7. Ravenna: May 24-27
8: Malpensa Airport: May 27

We return on May 28.

Thanks to Pauline, I will be posting my daily reports from Italy here.

Sounds wonderful! Will certainly be following your reports. We are heading back in September for 3 weeks and need inspiration for our itinerary!

Zurers in Italy 2024​

Monday, April 29: Day 1: Como​

After a rocky start--our plane from Newark is delayed by two hours and there is some concern about whether it would ever take off--the flight to Milan is uneventful. We even sleep for a few hours. Our luggage arrives promptly, we pick up our car, and set off for Como--about an hour away. The weather is great...sunny and warm.

We do manage to get lost en route to our apartment in the center of Como....the GPS fails us and we are stymied when we end up in one of the main squares--Piazza Volta--which is a pedestrian zone.

1714471312233.png

We have to call the apartment manager to meet us at a parking lot and walk us to the apartment. The apartment is in a commercial area a few blocks from the lake (you can see a slice of the lake from the balcony). It is spacious, modern, and a bit austere with a kitchenette in the living room.

Once we are on our own, Diana is ready for a nap and I head out to explore a bit in the neighborhood and down to the lakefront. Since it is a beautiful day, there are many people out strolling on the promenade and long lines at the ferry terminal and at the gelateria. There is a lot of construction going on the lake shore; they are building new ferry docks so parts of the lake are behind chain link fences.

But I do manage to get some nice photos of the lake in spite of the obstructions.

1714471403431.png

1714471638658.png

1714471578826.png

Diana has a quiet afternoon resting from the trip while I explore more of the town. Once you are away from the lake and the tourists, Como is another one of the many attractive mid-sized Italian cities...nice shopping streets, a large cathedral, old buildings, and pleasant squares lined with sidewalk cafes.

1714471731873.png

1714471798142.png

1714471905773.png

1714472258682.png

1714472320853.png

In the late afternoon, we head out together for the afternoon passeggiata....we walk to the lake, are discouraged by the long line at the lakefront gelateria, walk back towards the duomo, and enjoy our first gelato of the trip--Diana has pistacchio and vaniglia (delicious) and I have one of my standard orders...limone and fragola (very refreshing). Back at the apartment, we sit on our balcony in the warm sun.

I go to the supermarket to get some coffee for the morning and explore other parts of the city which are much more extensive than I had remembered (our previous stay in Como was in the late 1990s).

Dinner is at a nearby Tuscan restaurant - da Rino (many places are closed on Mondays). When we get there at 7:30, there are already a dozen people (some Italians, some tourists) waiting for the restaurant to open its doors. Dinner is excellent after a rocky start. There are only two women working for the ten occupied tables and things develop slowly. I am getting apprehensive as we wait for our turn to get menus and then order. We speculate a lot about what is happening and also wonder about the other diners. It seems like foreigners and one young Italian couple are relegated to the back room. However, when the waitress finally comes to take our order, she is very friendly. The food is terrific...we share a plate of very tasty steak tartare served with caramelized onions and parmigiano cream. Diana has the spinach gnudi (gnocchi-like dumplings made with ricotta cheese and semolina) served with a rich ragu which is delicious and I have the peposo, a peppery beef stew which is terrific. We drink the house wine (an excellent Tuscan red) and the meal is topped off with one of the best versions of panna cotta that I have ever had. Definitely a place to return to....

It is a short walk home through quiet streets and we quickly go to bed hoping to sleep through the night and defeat jet lag. Tomorrow we will start to explore the lake...

Jim and Diana

Zurers in Italy 2024​

Tuesday, April 30: Day 2: Como​

We manage to sleep through the night and wake up to a bright sunny day in Como...just like it is supposed to be when we are in Italy. I go out to the nearby bakery and buy some cornetti for breakfast and we eat in the apartment. I have to relearn how to use the Italian coffee maker (Moka) and I do wish I had an American drip coffee maker.

After breakfast, I go to get the car from the parking garage and make my way back to the apartment...I find it a challenging drive (especially the sharp right turn from one narrow street to another) but successfully arrive and pick up Diana. Our destination is Bellagio, the beautiful town at the tip of the broad peninsula jutting into Lake Como.

1714565749304.png

The road to Bellagio is impossibly scenic...it runs high above the lake for much of the route and the views of the lake, the towns on the opposite shore, and the mountains are spectacular. (No pictures...it is hard to find places to stop along the narrow road.) However, I get a bit apprehensive as we descend into Bellagio...the road is filled with parked cars a long way before the town. When we arrive, we really can't find any place to stop and we make a quick decision to take the car ferry which will be leaving in 20 minutes for Cadenabbia and Menaggio on the west side of the lake. While waiting for the ferry

1714564368531.png

we do some people watching and enjoy the views.

1714564439882.png

1714564471330.png

1714564509778.png

The short ferry ride is perfect for me (not a fan of boat rides)....very short but still giving us the opportunity to experience Como from the water as well as seeing the snow capped Alps in the distance.

1714564577260.png

1714564609551.png

1714564639235.png

1714564686964.png

In Cadenabbia, we get the last spot in the town's parking structure and walk through the town to the waterfront piazza. We get a table with a lake view and have a light lunch---prosciutto and melon for Diana, a prosciutto and mozzarella piadina for me.

1714565341614.png

The ride back to Como along this side of the lake is a very different experience though no less spectacular. For much of the route, the road runs right next to the lake and we go through a number of villages. We pass near George Clooney's villa but decide not to stop to say hello. As we approach Como at rush hour, the traffic is very heavy and it takes a good while to navigate our way back to our parking garage. We stop at a terrific gelateria just steps from the apartment on the way back. I have stracciatella and fior di panna (yum!) and Diana has the stracciatella and crema, also delicious. We share a bench with two elderly (our age??) Como ladies who, when finished, crush their cones and feed the pigeons.

Diana stays at the apartment while I go out to do some more exploring...I need to find a place for dinner tonight and there is still a lot of the historic center of Como to explore. I come across some lovely wrought iron gates and windows

1714565398769.png

1714565447756.png

1714565509546.png

1714565568300.png

1714565612735.png

as well as the old tower at the entrance to the old city.

1714565673712.png

We have dinner at an elegant seafood restaurant called La Tana dei Pescatore about a ten minute walk through the pleasant and very level streets of Como. The restaurant was quite busy but the staff was very professional and efficient. The food was fine though not great. Diana had a branzino with a Sicilian sauce (olives, capers and tomatoes) and a plate of grilled vegetables. I had a gigantic plate of fritto misto and a really delicious mixed salad. We managed to drink almost a whole bottle of Falanghina, a white wine from Campania.

On the pleasant walk back, the streets are almost empty and very quiet. Tomorrow is May Day and rain is forecast for the afternoon which doesn't make me happy. Agenda tbd ...

Jim and Diana

We spent a week in Menaggio years ago in July (1996 or 1997 I think) and it had been raining for weeks, the lake was almost flooding into the town, it was cold, the apartment in a villa that we rented had no heat (because heat is turned off for summer and will not be turned on, but we didn’t realize that) and it was impossible to reach the agency (no mobile phones then, only a phone box down the street). The woman who looked after the apartment screamed at us frequently in Italian (that was before Steve learned Italian) and we had no idea why. Many things in the apartment were broken.

And yet we returned to Italy again and again and again. But we haven’t been back to Lake Como.

We went to Villa Carlotta to see the azaleas last week (24th April).....spectacular if you like gardens:

Villa Carlotta 6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We spent a week in Menaggio years ago in July (1996 or 1997 I think) and it had been raining for weeks, the lake was almost flooding into the town, it was cold, the apartment in a villa that we rented had no heat (because heat is turned off for summer and will not be turned on, but we didn’t realize that) and it was impossible to reach the agency (no mobile phones then, only a phone box down the street). The woman who looked after the apartment screamed at us frequently in Italian (that was before Steve learned Italian) and we had no idea why. Many things in the apartment were broken.

And yet we returned to Italy again and again and again. But we haven’t been back to Lake Como.
Oh you have to go back!

I'm so happy to be reading about your travels in Italy again this year. I've only spent minimal time in Como, transferring on foot from the Bellagio/Como boat to the train station. I remember wanting to go back and stay in Como. It's fun to learn more about Como through your posts. Love your photos! I look forward to the rest of your trip!

I'm so happy to be reading about your travels in Italy again this year. I've only spent minimal time in Como, transferring on foot from the Bellagio/Como boat to the train station. I remember wanting to go back and stay in Como. It's fun to learn more about Como through your posts. Love your photos! I look forward to the rest of your trip!
Thanks Susan. I hope you get the chance to visit Como city.

Zurers in Italy 2024​

Wednesday, May 1: Day 3: Como​

Today is a big holiday in Italy...the first of May is the Festa dei Lavoratori. Businesses, museums, and many stores are closed. We wake up to sunny skies and mild temperatures....just as ordered. I head out on my cornetti run to a different pasticceria and cross the completely empty Piazza Volta....

1714660792441.png

It is usually filled with people at the bars and sitting around in the square.

After breakfast in the apartment (which is in a great location--in the middle of the center but only two blocks from the lake), we decide to walk over and visit the Duomo. As we arrive at Piazza Duomo, we chance upon the local union celebration of the day--speakers, union members with flags. It is quite a social event...not many people are listening to the speeches, but people seem to be enjoying themselves.
1714660849743.png

1714660908697.png

1714660973769.png

After hanging out a while at the rally, we make our way into the Duomo. The Como cathedral is massive...it was finished in the 15th century...it dominates the piazza and its green dome can be seen from all over the town. The interior is jammed with highly decorated chapels, two gigantic organs, an elegant pulpit, rows of tapestries hanging from ceilings, a large rose window, and many brightly colored stained glass windows. For people who are fans of more austere Romanesque architecture it is a bit overwhelming, but there are many things that make demands on my photography.

1714661057205.png

1714661121856.png

1714661253147.png

1714661300280.png

1714661346223.png

There are people getting ready for an upcoming event, testing the public address system from the pulpit and making sure the organ is in tune.

1714661423367.png

1714661494690.png

I also am able to find another Last Supper for my "collection", this one a vivid stained glass window.

1714661555228.png

The exterior is as full of detail as the interior, with many carvings, sculptures, turrets, and gargoyles on the facades.

1714661601201.png

1714661672359.png

1714661738739.png

1714661789038.png

One very interesting detail is that the two statues on either side of the main door are likenesses of "pagans" (non-Christians) which is unusual in church decorations. The two people so honored are Como natives and Roman
notables, Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger.

There is an extensive food and wine festival going on behind the Duomo...many stalls selling food and wine from all over Italy. Of particular interest to us is the porchetta stand...and I end up running back in the rain to buy a couple of sandwiches for lunch.

In the afternoon, the promised rain materializes and we have a lazy afternoon in the apartment. We watch some television and Diana does some quilting, while it continues to rain. We decide to stay close to home for dinner and walk over to a local pizzeria/ristorante--da Fontana, just steps away. We get the last available table and enjoy our meal...nothing memorable...the staff are friendly and efficient and the food is fine. Diana has a dish of spaghetti carbonara and a scaloppine of veal in a lemon sauce and I have my favorite spaghetti alle vongole (you just can't get it back home--we don't have the right kind of tiny clams) and a big bowl of mussels in a spicy tomato sauce. We also drink a half-liter of a refreshing white wine.

It's a short walk home. Tomorrow the weather forecast is dire--it is supposed to rain all day. We will see what happens.

Jim and Diana

I have to relearn how to use the Italian coffee maker (Moka) and I do wish I had an American drip coffee maker.
We used to take our own pot to Italy - too many prior to that had been poorly treated with black mould caked into the water reservoir. A bit of a 'coals to Newcastle' action, but it gave us peace of mind and coffee is important, even when making a humble cup in the apartment.

Zurers in Italy 2024
Thursday, May 2: Day 4: Como​

The sun is shining this morning in spite of the forecast, though the streets are wet. I go to the bar next door to get our breakfast cornetti and they turn out to be the best so far. After breakfast, I take advantage of the sun to look for the laundromat that is supposedly in the center. However, it's not....but I do see some beautiful wrought iron gates and gardens, a statue framed in an arched entrance, and a very narrow street.

zurer-4-1.png

zurer-4-2.png

zurer-4-3.png

zurer-4-4.png

Rain is threatening, so after a short walk to the lakefront with Diana, we retrieve the car and drive along the old lake road which runs directly along the shore and goes through the center of a few small villages. We pass many beautiful gardens and elaborate mansions along the way but the most unusual thing we see is a large pyramid in a cemetery in Laglio.

zurer-4-5.png

Photo from Visit Laglio

It is the grave of a 19th century doctor and good friend of Alexander Volta, Joseph Frank. He lived in a villa in Laglio and had wanted the pyramid in Como but the city fathers refused the request.

We get to the end of the lower lake road and turn around. The rain is coming down harder now and it's time for lunch. I remember a place a few miles back and we stop there. Da Luciano turns out to be a butcher shop that serves meals based mainly on their meats and we are happy to stop. They are very friendly and have built an enclosed, heated glass porch across from their shop. (The picture is obviously from a sunny day.)

zurer-4-6.png

From the da Luciano web site.

zurer-4-7.png

We decide to share a simple plate of salumi and cheese. The other table of two men are devouring their steaks and schmoozing animatedly with the owners. It's very serendipitous that we found this spot just when it was needed.

The rain continues for most of the afternoon and we hang out in the apartment. We are watching a four-part Hulu series about the rock band, Bon Jovi. Though not knowing anything about their music, we are hooked from the first episode. It is very skilfully put-together--lots of archival material and interviews with the principals--and the band members who are interviewed are quite appealing and very reflective, especially the leader Jon Bon Jovi.

The rain lets up so I decide to try and find the next laundromat candidate, which is located just outside the "citta murata" or walled city. I make it a point to make the trip on streets where I have not yet walked. Since we are in Italy, there has to be a statue of the national hero of the unification - Giuseppe Garibaldi - and here is Como's entry.

zurer-4-8.png

We eat dinner at another neighborhood place, the Latteria San Fedele. I have avoided going there up to now because the menu seemed pretentious and overly complicated, but we don't want to go too far afield because of the weather. Once we conquer the menu and order, dinner is quite good. We split a plate of sciatt--a local dish of buckwheat flour and cheese fritters--which are very tasty. Diana has the tagliata and she says that the steak is excellent. My pizzocheri--a local thick pasta served with a (too) rich cheese sauce was not as successful. We had several glasses of excellent red wine and Diana really enjoys her dessert, a beautifully done fruit tart. There was very nice, quiet jazz playing and the staff are extremely pleasant. We belatedly struck up a conversation with the single man sitting next to us. It turns out he is from Finland and is in Como for a big textile show.

There is a lot of artwork in the restaurant and throughout dinner, I have been looking at this very dark painting hung over our table.

zurer-4-9.png

As we are about to leave, I realize that the painting is "A Last Supper"...the figures in the piece have become more distinct as I concentrated on it. I am quite tickled since I can add this "Supper" to my "collection". I want to find out more about the artist so I plan to come back tomorrow to ask the owners.

Back at the apartment, we finish the last episode of the Bon Jovi documentary and call it a night.

We are hoping for no rain tomorrow.

Jim and Diana

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina