• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

2 Weeks In Yorkshire

artnbarb

1000+ Posts
We'll be there the first 2 weeks in June, so hopefully the weather will be nice enough to do some walking. The question is, where to base? We haven't been to York for many years and would definitely want to visit the city itself again, but is basing in York for the entire 2 weeks too far from the Dales, where I assume we would find more/better walking trails?

Maybe one week in the Lake District and one week in the Yorkshire Dales?

Our Coast-to-Coast walk (which we did twice) started on the west coast in the Lake District, then through the Yorkshire Dales to the North York Moors and the eastern coast. It's all beautiful! Easier walking in the Dales... harder in the Lake District, but the scenery in the Lake District is so dramatic! Grasmere is a popular center in the Lake District.

On our long trip we stayed on an estate near Harrogate. This was a good area for walking and exploring. We enjoyed exploring the James Herriott countryside and did a day trip into York. We also visited Fountains Abbey. There are a lot of castles in this area.

In the Dales, we liked the area called "Swaledale." You might look around Reeth or Richmond. Haworth is where the Bronte sisters lived.

In all these areas you could stay somewhere pretty remote or in a busier village or town. You might want to do some reading about these different areas and think about what you'd like to see and do... that might help you decide where best to base.

Plenty of good options, and I'd certainly recommend the North Yorks coast - Filey, Bridligton, Robin Hood's Bay, etc. and even Scarborough is worth a look. Some wonderful scenery and they shouldn't be in high season in June.

There are some great walks around Edale, Hathersage, Bakewell etc. - not too taxing, but good sized hills nonetheless. Back in the 1980s we used to be able to get a bus from Sheffield out into the 'Peaks' for 25 pence, a bargain of the highest order. That said there was also a great walk from Eccleshall road along a lovely green 'ribbon' off to the Derwent dam and beyond.

The advantage of York, is that staying outside the city, should still allow for a very easy day trip in, and there are Park and Ride options, or you can park up at a smaller railway station and take the train in.

@Kathy , I think Swaledale is further north than I want to be, but that may be my desire to be closer to York (and Castel Howard). I was thinking of somewhere in between Ripon and Harrogate, unless that means we'll be driving more every day just to take walks. Of course if the drive itself is amazing, it might not matter!

For the Dales, think about basing yourself in either Settle or Hawes which are both small towns. There is excellent walking from both.

You mentioned a possible interest in staying near Harrogate. I went online to see if the cottage we rented back in 2004 was still listed. (It was on a beautiful estate.) But I don't think so any more...

But I found this https://www.yorkshire-cottages.info/yorkshire-dales/harrogate-area/the-old-hayloft-dc4338 that looks really interesting in that same area. (The first week of June seems to be available.) The village is seven miles from Harrogate and although it's a small village, it does seem to have a pub. Or maybe you'll find something else on that site.

@Kathy , I now agree with you that one week in York is enough! I wanted - really wanted! - to settle in to one place for a full 2 weeks, but I just don't think Yorkshire is the right place. Other than London and The Cotswolds, there are probably very few places where I would want to stay for more than 1 week.

So - if we did stay one week in Yorkshire, I might be tempted to stay right in York. We can easily spend 2 days in the city, and another day at Castle Howard, maybe a day or two of walking if it's nice, and I saw a cute seaside village about an hour's drive from York - there may be others that are closer - called Staithes, that might be a nice day trip.

Now the big question is: where to spend a 2nd week? The Lake district is the obvious choice, isn't it? I haven't read a lot on the area, but I do know that RS says the area around Windemere is over-commercialized, and that he recommends basing in Keswick. Does anyone have any recommendations for a week in The Lakes District? I guess I need to start another thread!

Last edited:
Years ago (1999 to be exact), we spent 4 days in Ambleside at Rothay Manor. We enjoyed our time in the Lake District very much, but undoubtably it has changed over the years. Hopefully someone who has been there recently can give you some current input. I do remember at we took some lovely hikes and walks, but I do not have my trip log with me at our home here in SC. We ate several times at the Drunken Duck nears Hawkshead - our favorite pub in our 3 weeks in England and Scotland.

Personally I'd very much favour the beaches in Yorkshire (a week alongside another week in York, Harrogate, or walking in the Dales). Scarborough is the classic 'saucy postcard' type destination, however the northern section is a bit more classy, but you've also got Bridlington (home of the wonderful Sutcliffe B&W phoographs), Filey, the utterly beguiling Robin Hood's bay and more. This would be my choice for getting a feel for a beach/coastal area, but without feeling that it was all a bit tacky. Here's a decent little video that shows the entry into Robin Hood's Bay (very steep hills) and the beach itself is very much unspoilt
@Ian Sutton , I've quoted this post from another thread, and it looks like both Scarborough and Robin Hood's Bay are a little closer to York than Staithes - but I have to admit that Robin Hood's Bay was a little disconcerting! Straight down and then straight back up!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, not mine - I just wanted to give you a sighter of the wonderful views, which just leave out the best of all, as the unspoilt beach opens out in front of you at the bottom. Back then we could drive down to the bottom and park in a small car park on the right. It looks much busier in that video, though it might have been more peak season than we went.

I'm seeing these apartments in Yorkshire:
  • THIS cottage would be ideal if we could do a lot of walking - but what if it's still cool, and/or rainy?
  • This one, in THIRSK, is 30 min. from York, 45 min. from Harrogate, but further from the Dales, and further from the coast, but the village sounds amazing! I'm a sucker for a cute village, have you noticed?
  • Eldon Cottage is IN York, but parking is on-street, no idea if it's a problem.
  • THIS one is also in York, and has its own parking space. I'd like to see pictures of the bathroom. I like that it has a small patio.
  • Another one in Thirsk, with parking and a garden.
Time to make a spreadsheet and unfold the map!

I'm shocked that someone would consider 2 weeks too long to spend in Yorkshire (being from Yorkshire myself and having lived in the Cotswolds for 10 years). If you're determined to only spend a week there, how about moving on to Northumberland? Far less crowded than the Lakes, amazing beaches, beautiful countryside, more castles than you can shake a stick at. Also a Harry Potter connection if you're into that.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina