• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A story from someone who got permanently banned from AirBnB

Wow!

From the article: "My first thought was that I must have inadvertently paid one of the hosts in cash because this is the #1 reason why people get banned. "

I didn't know this! So far I have always paid through Airbnb and it doesn't seem like there is a way around it. If I can find a way to book outside of Airbnb, I do that instead. I do a lot of searching for their websites or I go to booking.com if they are also on there.

From the article: "After discussing with my girlfriend, the only thing we could think of was that we had recently had a very uncomfortable Airbnb experience with a rude host."

It turns out he did not write a bad review, but his host gave him a bad review anticipating that he would leave one. And for this they banned him.

When you stay at an Airbnb place the host reviews you. You cannot see the review until you submit a review, or if you wait until the review period has ended, then they let you see the review. Our host in a recent rental gave me a great review a minute after we checked out using the lockbox. He had no idea if we had trashed the apartment (unless he had a camera - ugh).

In some ways I like the review process on AirBnb because people hide complaints within the positive review.

But you feel obligated to give a good review - after all, you have usually met the owner, you can see how hard they work to create the place and you feel like you are personally insulting them with a bad review. We had a not-so-great Airbnb in Eilat, Israel in November. We met the owner and he was a very nice guy, so I did not want to leave a bad review. And maybe most people are not as fussy as me. So I did not leave a review.

The place we had in Tel Aviv was another dilemna for me. It was a fabulous apartment, but they had the word "quiet" in the name of the apartment and it was not quiet (construction next door, airplanes low overhead all night long). I did not want to leave a review, but you get those nagging emails from Airbnb and one was worded "tell the owner if there is anything misleading" and I did that one and then it ended up in the review form so I wrote a positive review where I casually mentioned the noise - and I feel guilty about it! And this is me, who started SlowTrav just so I could publish a few bad reviews of my own!

From the article: "We’re becoming increasingly dependent on a handful of major tech giants to get through our basic daily routine. Imagine waking up one day and no longer being able to check your Gmail, buy things on Amazon, or book an Uber."

This past weekend I really wanted to leave a lower rating for my Lyft driver who brought me home from the airport after midnight in the rain. He was a fairly new driver. I appreciated that he detoured to the airport to pick me up late and he appreciated my request to drive the speed limit, but he swerved around on the road some and then told me too much about his divorce. And then he was holding his smartphone (directions) on his knee... said that his little holder was coming. I didn't like him looking down in the rain.

I was hesitant to leave anything less than 5* because he had taken me to my house (where my husband was waiting) and knew where I lived. I found a way to leave a comment that I was happy that he was getting a smartphone holder after leaving a thank you for picking me up in the rain and going the speed limit.

But it points out something interesting about these reviews... the more personal connection you have, the harder it is to leave a somewhat anonymous negative review.

I agree that it is very difficult to leave anything less than a very positive review when you have gotten to know the owner of a rental. Three years ago we rented an apartment for a month in Lisbon through Home Away. The apartment had many positive reviews. We were met on the first day by one of the owners. The apartment was lovely. We had contact with the owner on numerous occasions and even met for a meal once with both of the owners. We personally like them very much and appreciated their hard work and sincerity. But, we experienced several issues with neighbors and noise during our stay. (I had carefully read all prior reviews for any HINT of noise problems because I am a light sleeper.) We talked with the owners about the issues during our stay and I sent them a direct email at the end of our rental detailing the problems, again. But, I couldn't bring myself to leave a negative review. I decided it wasn't worth it and convinced myself maybe it was just me and my noise sensitivity. That being said, I would never rent this apartment again.

As the owner of a rental apartment in Provence (which I manage remotely), I do try to form a personal connection with our guests through email. We do know many of our guests personally and have several people now who have returned for a second or third stay. We do still list on VRBO, where people can leave reviews. I would be horrified if someone left a negative comment and hadn't brought it to me personally. We really want to know about issues or suggestions and hope to address anything quickly during the stay. I would sure encourage any guest to take issues and suggestions directly to the owner. I think how issues are addressed says a lot... some things are outside the owner's control.

I know some owners-- if they are told about an issue that can't be adjusted-- will adjust their write-up to mention this.

And as several have suggested, you can also raise an issue in a review in a positive way. to be helpful for future guests.

I've never booked through AirBnB, so I have no personal experience. I rent apartments reviewed here, or, recommended by friends. I use VRBO, with a lot of checking for validity. The situation with the renter being banned sounds unfair.

I do have experience with Uber here at home and I will never use them again in my home city. I was solo, leaving my house for the airport on a quiet Sunday afternoon when there's no traffic. Five minutes before my pre-arranged pickup, I got a text that I was being charged TWICE the quoted price--that's $25 more than a taxi. At that point it was too late to cancel and call a taxi. My driver didn't impress me at all. He was unkempt, his car was unkempt, he sped...and, now he knew my address and that "maybe" no one else lived there and I was out of town.

My friends in Paris love Uber, so I would consider taking it there, but I tend to call a reliable taxi/car service instead.

@Cameron , try Lyft instead. Many drivers tell me they drive for both, but that Lyft does a more thorough background check on their drivers. Plus Uber's had those problems of sexual harrassment of women in their office... another reason to try to use Lyft.

You could raise an issue with Uber about the rate being changed last minute. I don't know how that would happen.

It amazes me that an Airbnb renter could be blacklisted, while Airbnb lets the landlord get away with anything. Lying, for instance. I wish I did not have to use Airbnb but unfortunately it is the platform more and more people are using to rent their places these days.

Regarding the reviews - indeed, it is difficult to write a bad one. Maybe Kathy will remember the Airbnb in Los Angeles I stayed at when we worked at the LA travel show.. the landlord was WELDING in the next room for several hours in the evening. My body was so tense the next day I had to go to a masseuse. But did I leave a bad review? No. Was I annoyed beyond belief? Yes.
But I have had some very good experiences too. I wish another company with a little more socially conscious company would come along. Airbnb is causing a lot of problems in many places and they don't seem to care about that too much.

I only use Lyft unless Uber is the only option. I had a problem last weekend (the driver who was suppose to pick me up didn't, but then said he did for 20 seconds and I got billed) but Lyft rectified it right away. Uber would not have cared.

Hmmm...I use Airbnb quite frequently and have had all positive experiences so far...both in the US and abroad. I did use a rental agency in London last October due to the posts that I saw about illegal rentals there...I used Ivy Lettings and was very pleased with the apartment and the service I received from the agency.

"Airbnb is causing a lot of problems in many places and they don't seem to care about that too much."
This is why I don't use them. There are many issues and potential for fraud in myriad ways. I use a local agency or organization whenever possible with inspected properties or some type of accountability and recourse in case of problems. I don't like what they've become and the negative effects, so won't support them with my vacation dollars/euros. (A personal decision.)

@Shannon - welding? Holy heck! These are exactly the kinds of things that need to have negative reviews! Problem is, I have heard from some owners that it they can easily cancel their listing on sites like this and insert a new one to cancel out any negative reviews and start afresh with suddenly glowing ones.

I think it depends where the property is and the price range. At the upper end of the market in top tourist destinations there are bound to be some (not all) hosts/agencies taking advantage of Airbnb to avoid regulations/taxes and generally creating problems for the locals. But travellers generally have other options in such places.
Instead, in less popular destinations Airbnb can bring precious extra income to local people and encourage travellers away from tourist hotspots. I am a very small scale Airbnb host but the small apartment I rent in the summer (and use myself for extra room in the winter) is in the small mountain village with 84 inhabitants where I live in the middle of nowhere at 1000 metres a.s.l., thanks to Airbnb we have hosted people from Lituania, Spain, the US. They would never have found us without Airbnb. Also when travelling to less popular destinations, in the (low) price range I can afford I would find it very difficult to find alternatives, a hotel and eating out is not an option for me. None of the apartments we stayed in were part of some big business. In some cities (Trapani we noticed and talked to our host about) abandoned buildings in the historical centre where people aren't so keen to live (narrow streets, no parking etc etc) are being turned into apartments for tourists with the general result of many areas being smartened up. There are lots of different aspects related to Airbnb....

Here is a good example of someone who knows how to write a "good" bad review...

"If you're not looking for any luxury or comfort and like to stay in a bit of Spartan place, not in the booming centre of Santa Catalina, but a 15-20 min walk beyond and the beach distanced at a 20-30 minute ride by (rented) bike, if you don't need a balcony or sun or view or fresh air and don't care about rumour from other guests around your place (slamming the front door, hearing people taking showers, flushing the toilet, having a quarrel (or sex) and having trouble trying to open the lockbox at the other side of the wall of your livingroom) this is your place to be. It's a cheap stay, where you can sleep and take shower. Don't expect more and you won't be dissapointed."

That's not a "good" bad review". That's a bad bad review, LOL.
I think bad reviews have their place, just as good reviews have their place. I too have the hardest time writing a bad review, not even on the Nice apartment where David found the shriveled corpse of a mouse on a trap in the kitchen, which he disposed of right away and did not even dare tell me, plus the bedroom window that did not close, which could come into this ground-floor flat through the backyard. 6 months later when David confessed about finding the mouse, I gave the landlady a chance. I wrote her about all these problems and told her that her caretaker was completely letting her down. No reply. I still could not write a bad review. I know for some of you, it is against your religion to write a bad review. Imagine you rent THAT apartment, when I could have warned you and spared you transcendental holiday grief.

Ive used airbnb many many times in various locales. Ive had excellent experiences with them including help in resolving problems. I agree that it is difficult to write a negative review but think it's important to be honest and constructive. I appreciate that in others when I read reviews. There is usually something positive to write. But if a place is noisy or has a useless kitchen for example, I think it's important to let others know. Giving a rave review to an undeserving place isn't fair to others.
I have to admit, I'm a little tired of these one sided experiences trashing Airbnb. So many people use them without incident yet we seem to hear about the outliers with horrible stories to tell. And we don't know the whole story. Banned for life! I can hardly believe it unless they did something they are not saying.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina