• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

An obscure discovery - copy/paste word doc with comments

Ian Sutton

1000+ Posts
I discovered this on another forum that uses the same software.

If copying a word document in which you've added comments, the comments are retained, though the text that the comment is attached to does not get pasted.
e.g. This is the original
upload_2017-2-24_20-54-21.png

I copied the Borgo Buio and La Grotta lines, then pasted them below. The comments come through quite nicely as [O1] and [O2], but the name get dropped because that was where the comment was attached to. (see below)

[O1] - Via Borgo Buio 10, Phone: 0578 717497 mon

[O2] - Localita' San Biagio, 15, Phone: 0578 757607 wed

[O1]Very odd place, which might appeal or horrify. The owner is an amateur opera singer who loves to serenade his guests, and it rather takes over the evening. The food was a bit hit and miss, so recommended only if a slightly surreal experience appeals

[O2]Despite facing a tourist attraction (San Biagio) this didn’t feel touristy and was indeed surprisingly classy in both food and service. We would return here

Arguably this is a bug, but I was really surprised / pleased to see the comments pasted as well, in a reasonable format, so I'm definitely not complaining. Easy to copy/paste the names in afterwards :cool:

That's interesting! I only recently discovered that you can copy and paste, or drag, images into a post. You don't have to click the Upload a File button. Once you drag them in, they get uploaded.

I wish XenForo had a User Manual for the people who use the software. They have documentation for the admin, for installing, configuring - but nothing that says this is how you use the forums. They do have good forums themselves where I ask questions about how things work.

I must admit it surprised me, and might even be unintentional, or at least not a trumpeted feature. I've picked up enough new software in my time to be happy to experiment (including the copy/paste you mentioned for photos), but I do recognise how it can be intimidating for people with less exposure to IT / IT development. That said, there is a lot that is very intuitive - I may not be an Apple fan, but have to applaud the way they've made everyone think about the user experience.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina