• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Books, Films and TV Shows about Israel

ItalophileNJ

100+ Posts
Just noting here that part of the cast of “Shtisel” is coming to my NJ synagogue in June. There will be clips from the show and a discussion with Michael Aloni (Kive), Doval'e Glickman: (Shulem), Neta Riskin: (Giti) Weiss and Dikla Barkai the producer. Equally exciting is that our member Dara Horn, who is an award-winning novelist and teaches Comparative Literature will moderate; Dara is a hoot.

So... if you love Shtisel and will be anywhere near Caldwell NJ, come and see them!

Last edited by a moderator:

ItalophileNJ

100+ Posts
I went back to "When Heroes Fly" and am now enjoying it; if that's the correct verb. The characters of Aviv (Tomer Kapon) and Himmler (Michael Aloni) are so different that I have no trouble telling them apart.
If anyone knows some Hebrew... I've noticed some of the translation choices are strange. Commenting that the Himmler character is emotionally repressed, his friend says, "well, he's European", which sounded odd to me. What he really said was he's Ashkenazi, which means he's of Eastern European Jewish heritage; I'm assuming they were aiming for an audience that wouldn't know what an Ashkenazi Jew is. And a few other strange choices, but nothing that interferes with the plot.

I watched another "Israeli" movie.... "The Red Sea Diving Resort". It's really pretty bad, very clumsy exposition, trite dialogue, the Israeli characters speak English (whereas the Ethiopian Jews speak Amharic and the other Sudanese speak Arabic). The "Israelis" are more like the Israelis in the crappy movies that were made about the Entebbe raid. (Well, IMHO).

Pauline

Forums Admin
I watched another "Israeli" movie.... "The Red Sea Diving Resort". It's really pretty bad, very clumsy exposition, trite dialogue, the Israeli characters speak English (whereas the Ethiopian Jews speak Amharic and the other Sudanese speak Arabic). The "Israelis" are more like the Israelis in the crappy movies that were made about the Entebbe raid. (Well, IMHO).
We watched it last night and I classify it as "good junk", but, yes, junk.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

New resources