• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Books, Films and TV Shows about Israel

Just noting here that part of the cast of “Shtisel” is coming to my NJ synagogue in June. There will be clips from the show and a discussion with Michael Aloni (Kive), Doval'e Glickman: (Shulem), Neta Riskin: (Giti) Weiss and Dikla Barkai the producer. Equally exciting is that our member Dara Horn, who is an award-winning novelist and teaches Comparative Literature will moderate; Dara is a hoot.

So... if you love Shtisel and will be anywhere near Caldwell NJ, come and see them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I went back to "When Heroes Fly" and am now enjoying it; if that's the correct verb. The characters of Aviv (Tomer Kapon) and Himmler (Michael Aloni) are so different that I have no trouble telling them apart.
If anyone knows some Hebrew... I've noticed some of the translation choices are strange. Commenting that the Himmler character is emotionally repressed, his friend says, "well, he's European", which sounded odd to me. What he really said was he's Ashkenazi, which means he's of Eastern European Jewish heritage; I'm assuming they were aiming for an audience that wouldn't know what an Ashkenazi Jew is. And a few other strange choices, but nothing that interferes with the plot.

I watched another "Israeli" movie.... "The Red Sea Diving Resort". It's really pretty bad, very clumsy exposition, trite dialogue, the Israeli characters speak English (whereas the Ethiopian Jews speak Amharic and the other Sudanese speak Arabic). The "Israelis" are more like the Israelis in the crappy movies that were made about the Entebbe raid. (Well, IMHO).

I watched another "Israeli" movie.... "The Red Sea Diving Resort". It's really pretty bad, very clumsy exposition, trite dialogue, the Israeli characters speak English (whereas the Ethiopian Jews speak Amharic and the other Sudanese speak Arabic). The "Israelis" are more like the Israelis in the crappy movies that were made about the Entebbe raid. (Well, IMHO).

We watched it last night and I classify it as "good junk", but, yes, junk.

False Flag (Season 2) is now streaming on Hulu....I haven't watched it yet. We enjoyed the first season.

I saw “Tel Aviv on Fire” yesterday, a comedic satire about a contemporary Palestinian soap opera being made in Ramallah, set in 1967 Jerusalem. In Arabic and Hebrew with English subtitles. We all enjoyed it and thought it was very well done. It’s playing in, I guess, theatres that show independent movies.

I am about halfway through "A Tale of Love and Darkness" by Amos Oz and I am loving it.....the writing is so vivid and the details about his growing up and his family are wonderful. Some of it is so very funny. I also like the narrator very much.

I will look for the movie when I finish the book.

"Our Boys" is now streaming on HBO...a searing docudrama about the 2015 kidnapping of three Jewish youths by Hamas militants and the retaliatory murder of a young Palestinian. Hard to watch in parts but we are impressed through the first six (of 10) episodes. It stars Shlomi Elkabeth and Michael Aloni is one of the Shabak officers. Hagai Levi (BeTipul and The Affair) is one of the creators.

I just read that there's a third season of "Fauda", that just started in Israel. Not sure when it will be streaming in US or elsewhere. And I think another season of "Shtisel" is still in negotiation.

I am about halfway through "A Tale of Love and Darkness" by Amos Oz and I am loving it.....the writing is so vivid and the details about his growing up and his family are wonderful. Some of it is so very funny. I also like the narrator very much.

I will look for the movie when I finish the book.

It took me several tries to get through that book but when I finally finished it, I loved it. The writing is beautiful and I am not sure why I kept putting it down. I just read his book Judas, which was an odd story but full of interesting thoughts about the Jesus story, and I found it a bit slow going too.

Is there a movie of A Tale of Love and Darkness?

I just read that there's a third season of "Fauda", that just started in Israel. Not sure when it will be streaming in US or elsewhere. And I think another season of "Shtisel" is still in negotiation.

I read that there will be another season of Shtisel because the first two seasons did very well on Netflix. We watched season 2 for a second time on our last trip to Israel.

We watched Sand Storm on Netflix. It is set in a Bedouin town in Israel and is the story of a young woman who wants to marry outside her tribe. On our November trip we drove by several Bedouin villages between Mitzpe Ramon and Beersheba. Our Israel friends told us how the Bedouin men take more than one wife. It is against the law but is done. This movie starts with the wedding of a second wife.

The movie is very understated and things are not spelled out. They don’t say why he is taking a second wife but then you realise that he has no sons and the new wife is young.

New York Times - Review: ‘Sand Storm’ Follows a Bedouin Mother and Daughter in Quiet Revolts

It took me several tries to get through that book but when I finally finished it, I loved it. The writing is beautiful and I am not sure why I kept putting it down. I just read his book Judas, which was an odd story but full of interesting thoughts about the Jesus story, and I found it a bit slow going too.

Is there a movie of A Tale of Love and Darkness?

I also enjoyed “Judas”. I thought it was a rare case of where a writer could do “history repeats itself” and make a brilliant story.

There is a movie related to “Tale of Love and Darkness” but it’s only a slice of the novel, the story of his mother. Not a terrible movie but dark and not very rich, in my opinion.

Just finished binging Season 2 of False Flag (Kfulim in Hebrew...literally Doubles or Duplicates). Extremely gripping through the early episodes, it "flagged" a bit down the stretch but by then we were totally hooked. Basically a spy procedural showcasing the rivalry between Shin Bet and Mossad, it goes off in surprising directions. Lots of familiar Israeli actors in the cast, it is being shown on Hulu in the US.

1579536399109.png

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina