• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Dream Vacation

@Mom83 Panzano is a small town and it won't take you long to look around. It sits on the crest of a hill with vineyards on both sides, so the setting is quite spectacular.

The most famous restaurants are run by legendary butcher Dario Cecchini. http://www.dariocecchini.com/dariocecchini/en/ You can visit his butcher shop and eat at one of the restaurants. There is a lot of focus on meat, of course. The "Dario Doc" is a simple lunch place with a good hamburger (their version of a hamburger).

You could also consider Ristorante Oltre il Giardino or Il Vescovino if you wanted a more traditional lunch, including pasta. For something really simple, there's a little wine bar on the main square with tables by the fountain that offers meals. But my choice-- if you'd be making a day trip-- is to drive up the twisty road on the other side of the valley to Ristoro di Lamole, one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. The combination of the setting, the food, and the welcoming service... it's an idyllic lunch. (I blogged about it here: http://slowtraveltours.com/blog/chianti-experience-dinner-at-lamole/)

See this thread also https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...suggestions-in-the-greve-area.817/#post-11947. There are some good suggestions for restaurants in the Greve/Panzano area.

@Mac1947 , sorry to hijack your thread!

No problem Kathy, if we can't get into Dario's we'll try one of your suggestions, the Ristoro di Lamole sounds wonderful, thanks.

I was at Savanna too! I am the one who started Slow Travel (in 2000) and I am trying to re-create the SlowTrav atmosphere here.

You have 17 destinations in 13 weeks. That is a lot of moving around. Some could be combined if you wanted to stay longer in one place. Terni and Bevagna could be combined. Stay in Bevagna and do a day trip to Terni. Same for Panzano and Siena. And Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.

I second the recommendation of staying in Camogli (or in Santa Margherita Ligure ) instead of Portofino (very expensive, long road into it) and of visiting Ravenna (notes on Ravenna).

I am not sure how interesting Salerno would be for a stay. You could stay south of Paestum in Castellabate (on the sea). If you want to get off the beaten track, head further south to Maratea, a seaside Basilicata town (notes on Maratea).
We're taking your advice with a revised trip, Dream vacation 2

We're glad to be here too. Maybe we can do another GTG in Charlston S. Carolina; it is just beautiful.

We're in the planing stage of the trip now and it still seams like a dream come true, hope to see other slow tripers on the trip.

Mac & Karen

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina