• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Fire at Rome's FCO

I remember the bus, but there were no lines at all in customs, I saw my bag immediately and was out the door in minutes. By the time I go home I expect there will be boarded off areas (duty free shops ), but I'm hoping for normal operations otherwise.

Not too bad: not jet lagged. Just a long day at airport. With delayed planes coming in at unscheduled times they were backed up considerably. Never had that at FCO. I hope it is smoother leaving next month. I won' t recommend RomeCabs again. Driver parked in garage, long walk and did not offer to take one of suitcases. Just talked on his phone. A shame as I ' ve had several great drivers in the past.

Return:
Travelling from Rome?
May 20, 2015
Please be advised that the Air Canada check-in counters at Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport (Fiumicino) in Rome have been temporarily relocated to Terminal 5 (from Terminal 3), due to damages caused by a recent fire.

If you are travelling from this airport, we ask that you arrive at the airport earlier than normal in order to allow more time for check-in and security screening.

I did not see this on the front page of their website before heading to FCO on June 7/15. Another traveler and shuttle driver told me about the change in check in location.
It was a very long morning that took a couple of hours to get through line ups, 2 security checks, 2 bus rides and one shuttle to reach the gate and plane.

The VAT line was over an hour wait on top of the other 2 lines. For check in I was in business class so that helped a bit but was not easy to make our way to the front. A very busy place when I left on June 7th, but a smooth flight and only 40 minutes late.

Wow! What a difference. I flew British Airways and departed from Terminal 3 on May 31 with no lines, no fuss (except at the espresso place, where a non-Italian woman was making a huge fuss because they didn't have milkshakes). I passed by closed duty free shops on my way to the gate, but I couldn't tell if they were closed because of fire damage or because it was early in the morning.

Milkshakes??

I just realized that I booked BA into Rome for our September trip (originally was going to go via Bologna - not really sure why I changed my mind). I hope I have your experience Chris!

I was surprised by the shuttle then 2nd bus since I left from gate H, not gate G LIKE LAST YEAR. LINE UPS WERE TERRIBLE WITH 2 Momtreal and 1 Toronto flights close together.

shouldn't be a problem for your airline-but check for notices.

Milkshakes. I swear it was enough like a Monty Python sketch that I looked around for cameras. She kept shouting across the room to her traveling companions, and the guy behind the counter tried to give her three hot milks, which infuriated her, so he tried to give her three cokes several times and she kept yelling NO COKES, NO COKES!!

I am glad to be home. My last week in Tuscany left me with bee stings and insect bites. I am still feeling it. The insect repellent didn't help much. (nothing to do with fire topic).
The business lounge attendant helped us get to gate H, 10 minutes before bus to boarding plane. I have only left from there once so was confused when we had to take the shuttle, fter the first bus ride.

I am glad to be home. My last week in Tuscany left me with bee stings and insect bites. I am still feeling it.
Horrible! We have experienced mosquitoes in Tuscany, but not that often. On our southern Italy trip I suffered the whole time from a bad spider bite (resulting in a swollen eye) that happened in England before the trip!!

I think I have spider, mosq & bee stings. I had OFF on the whole time. They especially went after my face-hairline and lower arms. I do have a swollen wrist with two stinging red spots. See dr. Mon.

We left the same day with AC. It was awful! We had plenty of time b/c Ron wanted to work in the lounge. We had no idea we would have to shuttle from 5 to 3 and go through that crazy rigamorole. When we got to H we discovered there was no lounge there and no place to sit. It was awful. We were on a plane to Montreal.

If I had known that you were there also we could have had a mini get together. It wasn't a great way to end the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Lisa, I wish I knew you were there. In all, I had 20 minutes from 8:45am-12:25 to sit down. Toronto people were held back in a huge line at t5 until both Montreal flights went through check in. Then we were allowed through doors to line up for check in.
VAT- 1 lady doing global very slow.
1st security in T5
bus to t3.
this is where we were confused.
agent wrote on boarding pass-gate G FOR LOUNGE.
THAT'S where we found out there was a shuttle to H.
HAD toilet break, drink,
agent took us down stairs to shuttle,
then 2nd time through security check before gate H,
then bus to plane. zone 1 & 2 on 1st bus, free for all up stairs of plane.

I flew out of terminal 3 to London on BA a few days after the fire there. It was a mess, as they had to close the area where the fire had been. It was terrible to smell, too. And it changed all of BA's schedule. They canceled and delayed almost all of the flights. Because it is Italy I'm posting about it somewhat after the fact as they are doing an "investigation" into the cause and it may affect flights for some time to come. Mostly BA flights, though, not all airlines.

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Oh my! What a nightmare. Not a great way way to end a holiday ~ miserable bug bits & airport chaos..... I'll be at FCO this evening for my flight to Dubrovnik - leaving out of Terminal 3. We'll see. I had no problems coming into FCO from Paris soon after the fire. Fingers crossed!

I read this too, and marveled at how lucky I must have been to slip through without any problems. I do remember the people at the check-in desks were wearing masks -- it never occurred to me that it was related to the fire until I read that article

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina