• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Israel Four weeks in Israel, November 2019

Thanks, a couple of those look nice but knowing me I will probably end up staying in one of the Colony Suites apartment. I try to stay in apartments where there's someone local to check you in and to go to if there are problems, just gives me a secure feeling.
I do like the German Colony too, pleasant neighborhood and shopping and that Train Line Park. Also, and I keep on reminding myself about this, there are several liberal synagogues in the Colony and in adjoining Baka'a, and that's important to me. As for the kitchen.... I like to be able to eat in but I am much too lazy to cook seriously. (Even at home...) I love the grocery stores and bakeries...

Hi Pauline. If we are really lucky, maybe our dates match. We are on a tour (yes, I know that's hard to believe) which ends in Jerusalem. Then Ken and I have two days before flying home March 17 any chance you will be there March 15 and 16? We should be so fortunate.

Hi Jane, we are in Haifa when you have your days in Jerusalem. Too bad - it would be nice to see you and Ken again. Here is our schedule:

Wed Mar 4 - Sat Mar 7 - Tel Aviv 4 nights
Sun Mar 8 - Mon Mar 16 - Haifa 9 nights
Tues Mar 17 - Sat Mar 21 - Galilee 5 nights
Sun Mar 22 - Tues Mar 31 - Jerusalem 10 nights

Where are you going on your tour?

Dog gone it! I was excited when I saw your dates But figured we wouldn't be so lucky. It would have been a lot of fun to see you and Steve and sit down to a meal together once again. I think the last time was in Spello. The rest of our itinerary doesn’t match either.

We will be going to many of the Old and New Testament sites but also other places…the Druze community, a military base and other unusual places. I’ll report back. BTW. your Israel notes are really helpful.

Just tagging on here Pauline because I was looking at some apartments, and I saw your nice review of the Colony Suites Levant. I can't figure out exactly where it is: I know it's not one of the Hananya Street apartments, and I THINK it's a few blocks down the hill, that is, further down from the First Station and rather close to the Supermarket baMoshava. Right?
I am thinking that I might want to upgrade from the Hananya Street apartments, and I am also keeping in mind that I want to avoid steps. (The Hildesheimer apartment is too big and anyway it seems to be booked for all of October.)

Happy traveling!

Levant is across the street from Bagel Cafe. It is right on Emek Refaim but set back from the street. There is a parking lot in front of it. It is ground floor but there are a few steps up to it.

I have photos and a review here: https://www.sloweurope.com/communit...-bedroom-apartment-in-the-german-colony.3204/

You can find it on Google Maps, it says Colony Suites Apt. Address is 53 Emek Refaim. I have photos of the inside if you want more info. It was a comfortable apartment.

Here is a screenshot from Google Maps

F3698573-599A-48D0-8ABA-2378A4DF7559.png

We did a last minute change to the trip. Instead of Tues Mar 17 - Sat Mar 21 - Galilee 5 nights, we are going back to Mitzpe Ramon for the 5 nights. I was able to cancel the place in Amirim without losing a deposit.

The reason? The weather is not looking very warm and when we stayed in Amirim last March it was very cold at night. We have had a cold and wet winter here in Dorset and we need some warm weather. Thank goodness we had those two weeks in the Canaries! It won’t be that hot in Mitzpe but hotter than the northern Galilee.

Interesting change!

I think I mentioned that two of my young(er) friends made Aliyah recently and live down south in Beer Sheva. It’s warmer and less expensive than central Israel. One of them is coming back here for work for a few days and I’m to have Shabbat dinner with him at a friend's home.

Now I see where the Levant apartment is, in one of those setbacks. Would you believe I’ve never been to Bagel Café or even had a bagel ( that I can recall) in Israel. I think there’s a cheese store right near there.
ll have to think about this....

Thanks

Would you believe I’ve never been to Bagel Café or even had a bagel ( that I can recall) in Israel.

I remember you telling me before our first trip that bagels are not an Israeli thing and you were right. But we did find some. There is a chain called Sams Bagels in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. We always go to Bagel Cafe in Jerusalem. Tal Bagels in Tel Aviv is very good. Even the chain Aroma has bagels.

But what is hard to find is a toasted bagel for breakfast. When you find bagels they are part of a lunch or large breakfast - like bagel sandwiches. Only Bagel Cafe offers a simple breakfast of a toasted bagel and they don’t let you order it on weekends.

Once we were in Tel Aviv at an Aroma and wanted just toasted bagel and coffee. It took a long time to explain what we wanted, longer for them to produce it and they charged us as if we had the full breakfast. Now I just order the full breakfast (bagel, eggs, spreads, chopped salad).

Those elongated Arab bagels are sort of bagels.

I remember you telling me before our first trip that bagels are not an Israeli thing and you were right. But we did find some. There is a chain called Sams Bagels in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. We always go to Bagel Cafe in Jerusalem. Tal Bagels in Tel Aviv is very good. Even the chain Aroma has bagels.

But what is hard to find is a toasted bagel for breakfast. When you find bagels they are part of a lunch or large breakfast - like bagel sandwiches. Only Bagel Cafe offers a simple breakfast of a toasted bagel and they don’t let you order it on weekends.

Once we were in Tel Aviv at an Aroma and wanted just toasted bagel and coffee. It took a long time to explain what we wanted, longer for them to produce it and they charged us as if we had the full breakfast. Now I just order the full breakfast (bagel, eggs, spreads, chopped salad).

Those elongated Arab bagels are sort of bagels.

Thanks for the apartment photos. I think it's getting to be time to ask what the rates would be for the October visit I'm planning. (And maybe even to tell my cousins what I'm thinking about.....)

Bagels... not to beat this to death but: Until abominations like frozen supermarket bagels, I don't think any self respecting bagel eater would dream of eating one that wasn't baked fresh that day. It's the nice doughy resistance to chewing that is the essence....toasting is what you might do with a stale one. The local bagel shops here in NJ (all owned by Greeks or Latinos so far as I can see) never ask about toasting. But then again I am sure I ask for things when eating in Italy that are just not done...

Well, I've taken a few steps toward making the next Israel trip real. I told my Jerusalem cousin I was thinking seriously about coming. And I just sent off an email to Linda at Colony Suites asking about availability for the Levant or the Maple for 15 nights mid October. (My cousin, who lives in the Saint Simon neighborhood more-or-less between the German Colony and Katamon, has invited me to stay with them now that all their "kids" are out of the apartment. That's so sweet of them, and I love spending time with them, but I'm thinking it's not a good idea.) I think I'll even head over to my friend on the Trip Advisor Israel Forum; I see the same D.E.'s are still active.

Looking forward to reading about your next trip!

I don't think any self respecting bagel eater would dream of eating one that wasn't baked fresh that day.

That might be my problem right there! I probably say “toasted bagel” but I mean bagel without all the fillings and extras. Bagel Cafe is the only place I’ve found where you get a bagel with butter and jam, and, you are right, it isn’t toasted but they do warm it.

If all goes according to plan I will research this more next week.

That's so sweet of them, and I love spending time with them, but I'm thinking it's not a good idea.) I think I'll even head over to my friend on the Trip Advisor Israel Forum; I see the same D.E.'s are still active.

It is always nice to have your own space I find.

I’ve been reading the TA forums recently to see what they are saying about Coronavirus.

@ItalophileNJ I saw your post on the TA forums about Residence Rafael on Derech Bethlehem in Ba’ka near the German Colony. These apartments look very nice and might be a good option for us some time. I like that area. You sent us to the Grand Cafe there on our first trip and now we go every trip. There is a good bakery/deli nearby, and a good fruit and vegetable place.

Yes, you are due to head there soon!
Bagels.... try just asking for a bagel and butter, or a bagel and cream cheese. If ideally the bagel is fresh, the butter or cream cheese accumulate on it nicely. (I didn't realize those crazy Israelis warm their bagels...)

After reading Shaul's advice on TA about sticking with the Colony Suites I realize that's really what I wanted to hear: Stick with what you like.
I do have a friend who stayed there a few years ago.... we'll see.

I love that fruit and vegetable place! Unless something else has opened on Emek Refaim that I've forgotten about, it's the nicest in the area.

We are heading to Israel this week and I will post a few notes and photos in this thread while traveling. This is our fourth trip to Israel. Our first trip was March last year, then we went for four weeks last November, then four weeks this March. We've fallen for this country! Plus it is a good off season destination for us, giving us an extra bit of sunshine.

Our itinerary:

Jerusalem - 7 nights. I've rented an apartment from Colony Suites. We've rented from them twice before and are trying a different apartment this time. It is in the German Colony, just a few blocks from apartments we rented on the 3 previous trips.

We pick up a rental car towards the end of our week.

Ein Gedi (Dead Sea) - 1 night. We've stayed at the Ein Gedi Hotel twice before, both time for 2 nights. This time 1 night only to make the rest of the schedule work.

Eilat (Red Sea) - 3 nights. We've been here once, last November. I am not sure how much I like the town, but I love the area. I rented an apartment through Airbnb. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/33909319 I did not like the place we stayed last time, so am trying another place. This is an apartment in complex of apartment buildings. The owner has several small apartments in a large house nearby but this is a larger apartment in an apartment building.

Mitzpe Ramon - 7 nights. We spent 1 night here last November and liked the town and the area (and the roaming ibex), so this time I booked an apartment for a week on Booking.com. https://www.booking.com/hotel/il/lev-midbar.html It is a cottage beside the owner's house. It is a bit expensive but the choice seemed to be either very cheap places in rundown looking apartment buildings, or a few expensive places. It is also on Airbnb but at the time I was booking it was cheaper on Booking.com. Plus it is easier to cancel if you have to on Booking.com.

Zikhron Ya'akov - 10 nights. We spent our first night of the March trip here and loved the town and area. @Amy recommended this location to me when I was planning our first trip. It is on the coast, about 30 minutes south of Haifa. I love Haifa but it is a large city. I want to try being in a smaller town in the area. We can take the train into Tel Aviv and do day trips into the Galilee. I found a nice cottage on Airbnb, right in the town center. It is a cottage behind the owner's house. https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/2364529 Again, it is a bit expensive but Zikhron is an expensive town.

We drive to the airport tomorrow and have an early flight on Wednesday.

I am still having a problem with my knee (I strained the ligament). We are bringing our hiking gear but may not do the long hikes that we want to do. We will see how it goes. My physio said it should heal in 6 weeks and that would be about half way through the trip. It is getting better this past week. I can walk 5 miles but a bit slower than usual and if I do too much climbing it hurts. Hopefully I will improve.

I was worried that the UK would crash out of the EU on October 31 (no deal Brexit) and we would return to chaos, but now it looks like we won't be Brexiting just yet.

Nice sharing, thank you.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina