• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - February 2018

Another castle -

fullsizeoutput_60d9.jpeg

I don't know it but I'm guessing Trieste, where I believe Joyce lived (it's certainly not Dublin!).

I often wondered about going there, and to Duino nearby, because of Rilke's Duino Elegies.

Your clues abd google have helped me find the answer.... This is the Triumphal Arch of the Sergii in Pula, Croatia. It commemorates three members of the Sergii family, a powerful Roman family in what was originally a Roman Colony.

James Joyce lived here for a short time and would frequently have passed this arch.

Bingo! Next to the arch is a building that housed the Berlitz school where Joyce worked during his time in Pula - it now includes a cafe with this statue of the writer. Pula is in Istria, which was part of Italy from about 1920 to 1947.

I love Istria and Pula, but Joyce apparently was not particularly impressed during his sojourn there.
james joyce pula.JPG

Two more pictures and a clue - this is in England and a part of the country popular with many visitors on Slow Europe...
Screen shot 2018-02-14 at 17.07.11.png

Screen shot 2018-02-14 at 17.07.23.png

It is Minster Lovell Hall. It is one of the places associated with the story of the Mistletoe Bough when a new bride is playing a game of hide and seek and hides in a chest in an attic. She is unable to escape and not discovered by her family and friends. The body is found many years later in the locked chest as a skeleton in a wedding dress.

There are other ghost stories associated with the ruins and you can read about my experience here....

Your turn next JustTravel.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina