• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - January 2018

Fair enough. It's in a city which in mediaeval times was part of a territory later much contested and ultimately divided between major powers, with the end result that it's now very near a national border, and in this city a great twentieth century national leader was born.

Good clues, I was thinking perhaps Lech Walesa related, but it appears he was born near Poznan, which is fairly central, so not really near a border. That's my guess, but I think it's wrong!

Much further west! An easy journey from London.

The first time I tried to do a Google image search, it didn't produce anything but when I tried again just now, it has thrown up Lille Cathedral of Notre Dame de la Treille. The famous persion born in Lille in 1890 was Charles de Gaulle.

I had the same experiece, Eleanor -- some of the photos allow a Google image search and others don't. Anyone know why?

Bingo, Eleanor! I was there this last weekend.

(Can't help with the Google image search problem, I'm afraid)

Stepping back in time, but where?
Screen shot 2018-01-17 at 09.32.53.png

With the flag in the background it has to be in the UK
The plant behind the trolley surprises me - seems out of place
Grange Laundry sign would indicate it may be in Grange Over Sands
However, The Shields Gazette would be Newcastle upon Tyne
Since it is a 1953 photo
I am guessing, and I mean guessing - Newcastle upon Tyne

That baby buggy and the clothes aren't from 1953, much more contemporary. I guessed from the Shields Gazette and the pristine shininess of the tram that this is probably a place I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't visited: Beamish?

HaHa - I right clicked on the photo and looked at the name real quick (09-32-53-png.8623/) and with Eleanor's introduction comment of stepping back in time I assumed 1953.

Guess what there are not 32 days in September. So Private Investigator is not in my future. :oops:

HaHa - I right clicked on the photo and looked at the name real quick (09-32-53-png.8623/) and with Eleanor's introduction comment of stepping back in time I assumed 1953.

Guess what there are not 32 days in September. So Private Investigator is not in my future. :oops:

I thought I'd posted this, but maybe I'd only previewed it.

If you don't already recognise this place, these figures will tell you what sort of building it might be, and perhaps the style of the background mosaics might suggest the city.
20422788535_5e72fbfc5c_c_d.jpg

The Palau de la Música, Barcelona. Your clues were a help: when we visited, last March, we were a bit high up to get a good view of the sculptures.
IMG_4576.JPG

Correct! I did the tour rather than a concert. Your photo's really impressive.

Opera House in Lyon?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina