• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - January 2018

the next one is up

RRC-440.jpg

Thank You chachalaca
Decode the window is hint 1.

What a wonderful picture and so much history too..

The date 6.8.1945 was the date the United States dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Googling has brought me to the ‘Physics window’ Heiliggeistkirche in Heidelberg, with Einstein’s equation E=mc2 which led indirectly to the development of atomic energy and the atomic bomb. The German text is a quote from 2Peter 3 v10 “The day of the Lord shall come as a thief of the night, on which the heavens shall pass, with a great crash; but the elements will melt with heat, and the works that are upon them will burn.”

The red at the bottom represents the shattered globe. The arrow at the top is the Spirit of God coming to heal the world...

Eleanor,

You are correct, the stained glass is known as the “Physics Window”. Located in the right in the rear of the Church of the Holy Ghost in Heidelberg, Germany. Originally a Catholic church it eventually became a Protestant church, but during the transition in the 1700s it was shared between the two groups with a wall down the center.

The Physics Window was installed as part repair effort to the church following the war. As the Nazis retreated in the waning days, they blew up the bridge crossing Neckar river. The original window was blown out from the blast. The artist Johannes Schreiter was chosen to replace the missing window.

Your deciphering of the window is correct, but in fact there are two Bible quotes. The one you identified from Peter, and the second one is from Isaiah. Isaiah 54:10 - Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken.

Your turn!

A Catholic Church in Spain?

I think that guess was out to lunch after studying the picture a little more.

Last edited:
It is a Catholic cathedral but not in Spain. It is unusual as the original building was a Greek temple which later became a Byzantine basilica and then the Catholic cathedral.

Duomo di Siracusa in Sicily?

Well done. This is an amazing building and so different to anywhere else I have been. The Greek columns can be seen on the outside of the north wall and the spaces between them were filled in when the temple became a Christian basilica.
Screen shot 2018-01-26 at 21.15.58.png

The nave was the original shrine (Cella) of the Greek temple).
Screen shot 2018-01-26 at 21.17.21.png

Your turn Colo..

Anybody been here?

NextOne.jpg

Yes it is a white village. Any guesses on which one?

Looks similar to the village/town we saw from across the river in the Portuguese village/town of Alcoutim. Thus I'll guess Sanlucar de Guadiama.

Just Travel you are correct. Sorry Ian. JT you are up

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina