• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - March 2018

I suspect an easy one, and equally easy to guess where is was taken from.
IMG_0055.jpg

Bologna? The only reason I know is because I am researching an October trip there right now. This must be a good omen.....:)

It is indeed, taken from the Torre Asinelli, probably with a little camera shake as I really don't like heights.

If it helps, I've attached my cribsheet which as ever is a little heavy on the food shops. * places are ones we particularly liked.

In addition, I've not added a discovery from the last trip, a southern-Italian leaning enoteca called In vino Veritas @ Via Garibaldi Giuseppe, 9F. Relaxed, cosy and friendly with tasty/rustic food and a fine selection of wines by the glass. Individual bottle prices a little high (Caffe Bazaar is the shop to go for value at all levels)

Attachments

• bologna.docx
    24.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks very much Ian! The list of food shops and markets is just what we need. Haven't decided for sure that we're going, but the final decision will be made by the end of March, and things are looking good...

The following is a photo of a place that I think you're the only one who might know....a bit difficult, but I've prepared a Plan B photo as well ;) :

30039304650_3f098a7057_k.jpg

:eek: Good grief! :) Obscure for sure. I doubt many English-speaking tourists make it there.

Yes I did recognise it, though had to confirm it by checking on Google maps. Oddly it was the path running round the outside that triggered the memory. We'd walked up there from the apartment / agriturismo we were staying in (only 4km to the south, but mostly up hill to get here). A coffee and a panino in the nearby village gave us the energy to brave the elements and the return route.

I'm out of photos on this PC (must get some more copied across) so will leave it for others to see if they can guess (this or the backup), but I'm grinning that you chose this as a photo. Very (pleasantly) unexpected.

Regards
Ian

Well, since the above photo apparently will only be recognizable to devote Piemonte fans (hint, hint...), I will attach another one that I hope will be easier. This one is from the same region : the names of the city and the building, please. And of course the former photo is still open for guesses (Ian knows exactly where it is).

30006709910_a85f483b05_k.jpg

Nice work JT - your turn or Ian's.

BTW, the photo of the church with the light-blue domes is the Santuario dei Caffi, located on a lovely wooded ridge above Bubbio, Piemonte. This area of the Langhe is one of our favorite places in the province.

I think we have left the land of the best wine in Italy (IMHO) to the lakes to the north.
Villa Carlotta - Tremezzo, Como?

So here is a different twist. The question is where I am sitting (town/village) enjoying a glass of wine while taking in this view. Once again not what are you looking at, but where the view is from.

boat.jpg

No... Not Lake Constance

Spurning him from thy bosom to the skies,
And send’st him, shivering in thy playful spray
And howling, to his gods, where haply lies
His petty hope in some near port or bay,
And dashest him again to earth:—there let him lay.

Penn251 - you are correct! The view is looking across the Gulf of Poets (Gulf of La Spezia) towards Portovenere. The shot was taken from a bench on the boardwalk that connects Lerici and San Terenzo not far from the Hotel Shelley e delle Palme.

The poetic lines above are from Lord Byron, who like Shelley, used these waters as his swimming pool.

So where will you take us know?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina