• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - March 2018

It is in the south of France but not Bouzels. Here's another photo -

fullsizeoutput_6189.jpeg

The lovely village of Rocamadour

Well we have been looking at the beauty and glory of the distant past, how about this one that closed the 19th Century and was the harbinger of many things to come in the 20th.

guess42.jpg

Hint: This shot was captured on location where two friends discussed the actions of one, his faked death, and what would he do for money. It is a classic for movie buffs.

Not being a film buff, the clue isn't helping me. I'm assuming it is a funicular railway somewhere....?

I love old movies, but I had no idea what funicular meant? :D
We both will learn something on this one. ;)

So no it is not a funicular railway, but balance and counterbalance is important.

Another angle

Guess421.jpg

I'm intrigued by this. I'm assuming it is some sort of railway (in the broadest sense). Is it either worked by cables on an inclined plane or is it water worked?

Is it a cliff railway?

No not a cliff railway,

It does remind me of a Grammy winning song
What goes up, must come down...

Built by a Royal Naval Engineer it does offer great views

Guess423.jpg

Hooray, I think I've eventually tracked it down to the giant ferris wheel in Vienna. I think the twin towered church in the picture is the Votivkirche and a bit of hard googling has revealed a ferris wheel there. I'd not thought about one of them!

That was really good and definitely challenging.

Built in 1897 by a Royal Naval Engineer, Lieutenant Walter Bassett, the Wiener Riesenrad is the oldest operating Ferris Wheel in the world.

It was the location of a pivotal scene from the Orson Wells Classic movie "The Third Man"
(Follow the link and take a second it is worth a watch!)

Oh and the Grammy winning song was by Blood, Sweet, and Tears in 1969 - "Spinning Wheel"
What goes up, must come down...
Spinnin' wheel got to go 'round

Located in the Prater amusement park in Vienna it is great ride and wonderful way to see the sights of Vienna.

guess424.jpg

Back to you Eleanor.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina