• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - September 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustTravel

1000+ Posts
Contest 2019 Winner!
Here's the first one this month -

fullsizeoutput_5dc5.jpeg

Is that an optical illusion or is that house actually built into the hill?
Going with Croatia... maybe

Looks like a troglodyte village in the Loire valley. I can't remember the exact name of the village -- we visited there in the 90s.
I just looked at my old photos, and the name of the village I'm thinking of is Rochemenier, near Doue-la-Fontaine.

Last edited:
The funny thing is I went back and looked at my photo albums, and I actually did take a picture of that same house, also in 2005, also after we visited Clos Lucé.

Here's another photo. The angel, for some reason looks a little weird, but the main identifying factor is the coat of arms -- one of the more unusual I've encountered.

IMG_0357.JPG

I remember seeing troglodyte houses in Amboise, but I don't specifically remember one that looked like the photo.

I knew this!! I remember walking by it and I have a photo of it too. Serves me right for not checking this thread.

Here is my photo from 2010. No one was home when I took my photo.

amboise-2010--1399.jpg

Since no one seems to have a guess yet for my photo above, here is another picture from the same place -- this one of the chapel which bears the name of the owner of that coat of arms.

IMG_0336.JPG

Right, Cameron -- it is the Colleoni Chapel in Bergamo, a wonderful town to visit, by the way. And the chapel is an amazing building, inside and out.

The coat of arms is that of 15th-century condottiero Bartolomeo Colleoni, who was very proud of the fact that he had three testicles. They are shiny on the shield because the tradition is to rub them for good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina