• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - September 2018

Verona? (it looks similar to a place where we picked up some Mozzie cream)

Oh hang on a mo! It's the Torre del Barbaresco, with I think the Produttori winery on the right, and the Tanaro river in the 2nd photo

Oh hang on a mo! It's the Torre del Barbaresco, with I think the Produttori winery on the right, and the Tanaro river in the 2nd photo

My wine friend you are correct... I found my happy place in the Barbaresco Enoteca. The enoteca is in an old church and I felt that I was in heaven. They told us every Barbaresco winery in the region is represented and one could taste or buy all of them except two which do not participate with the community enoteca.

Colo was very happy!

Barbaresco.jpg

They had 6 Barbaresco wines set up for the daily tasting for a very reasonable fee.

Barbaresco6.jpg

Ian the next picture is yours!

Last edited:
Hi Colo
Yes a lovely place to drop into.
I don't know if you've timed a trip there for the Festa del Barbaresco (now renamed something else) which has a good outdoor market, plus walkround tasting (typically 3-4 Barbaresco wines from each winery, including mostly new vintage, but often with one or two slightly older vintages. Of course tasting young vintage Barbaresco (or Barolo) can very quickly turn into mouth-drying tannicity!
Another slightly more manageable option in May is Barbaresco a Tavola, with tasting of 20 current vintage wines, but in a restaurant with traditional food. A fine experience.

In terms of photo's I probably need to raid some very old 'print' photos, but on the offchance I've not yet posted this...
IMG_0206.jpg

Regards
Ian

Looks like an airport?

I think (because I've been researching for my forthcoming trip), that this is the test track on the top of the old Fiat building in Turin.

Insert Michael Caine quote here!

Wow Tim if you are right that is so cool. I drive a Fiat I would love to take a spin on the roof :)

I drive a Fiat, and I'm not sure it could get up there :) (it's an old diesel Panda- and I mustn't mock as its been a great car)

I think (because I've been researching for my forthcoming trip), that this is the test track on the top of the old Fiat building in Turin.

Insert Michael Caine quote here!

You're only supposed to blow the ****** doors off!

Yes indeed, the test track that every Fiat used to visit before leaving the factory, and where they filmed part of the car chase. The track is an unusual rubber surface with quite a bit of give in it. We had a lovely stroll around it (it's now used by the hotel as a running track)

The building is 3 substantial stories off the ground (with a tight spiral drive to get up there), and whilst the wall is there, it really isn't very high, and the drop substantial enough to expect anyone experiencing it in a car wouldn't survive it. But yes of course, would be too cool to go round there in a car or even a kart!

All your's Tim!

Regards
Ian

p.s. Definitely my favourite city, with 10-12 visits already since 1995. My most recent trip I joked was to do the grocery shopping (fare la spesa). Not too far off the truth, my bags weighing about 25-30 kilo more than on the outward journey (thought wine probably accounted for over half that weight)

I have to confess I cheated and googled to find out where and what this is. It is in Singapore. In 2000, the Singapore Tourist Board created Open Air Interpretive Centre along the river Singapore, with a series of sculptures reflecting scenes from Singapore’s history. This is called ‘The First Generation’ and are five bronze statues of boys jumping into the river. The sculptor, Chong Fh Cheong says it represents the first immigrants to the state.

Eleanor, you are correct. It is one of my favourite sculptures I've seen on my travels as the boys look so exurberant.

It is great fun isn't it and so typical of children of all ages.

Another statue of boys but with a different story....
Screen shot 2018-09-09 at 11.37.35.png

I like the statue, and the setting looks like the Netherlands or Belgium - but apart from that I'm totally stuck. I may have to google it later :)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina