• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - September 2018

It is Hoorn. The three statues are the Bontekoe ship boys. Bontekoe was the skipper of one of the Dutch East India Company ships. Hajo, Padde and Rolf were cabin boys on the voyage. During the voyage, a cask of brandy was accidentally set on light and this caused the gunpowder magazine to explode and sink the ship. The survivors survived on fish and birds they caught and rain water. The crew got so hungry they agreed to kill the three ship boys although it was agreed they would wait three more days. Fortunately for the boys, the lifeboat reached land and they were saved. Their story might have been forgotten if the log kept by Bontekoe hadn’t been turned into a popular children’s book and also a film.

Over to you Mark.

Here you
IMG_2442.JPG
go

Ann, You are correct. Thomas Jefferson used this building as his model for his home, Monticello, in Virginia.
From Wikipedia
Villa La Rotonda is a Renaissance villa just outside Vicenza in northern Italy, and designed by Andrea Palladio. The proper name is Villa Almerico Capra Valmarana, but it is also known as La Rotonda, Villa Rotonda, Villa Capra and Villa Almerico. The name "Capra" derives from the Capra brothers, who completed the building after it was ceded to them in 1592. Along with other works by Palladio, the building is conserved as part of the World Heritage Site "City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto".

You are right Jennifer.
The photo shows the volunteers sweeping the grounds at 5pm. This is a daily ritual.
Your turn to post.

I had to go to Google to help me with this. I was sure I recognised the picture, but it is now 13 years since we were here! It is the footbridge at the end of the Mizen Peninsula, at the SW tip of Ireland.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina