• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Hello Europe Travelers!

Ana3

10+ Posts
My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy - Amalfi Coast and Tuscany/Florence in September. We are not looking for a hectic and action-packed trip, and would rather take our time exploring and enjoying both regions self-guided. Thinking about 10 days on the Amalfi Coast and 10 days in Tuscany. For Amalfi, we are deciding whether we should have one base, Sorrento or Praino for example, or stay 5 days in each location. We'll be taking public transportation. Will there be too much time spent on traveling if staying in one town to travel the coast, or is it better to have 2 bases? Afterward, we will travel to Tuscany for about 10 days, 5 in Pienza as a base where we will rent a car, then drive to Florence, return the car and spend 5 days. Would you split that time differently? Any suggestions are welcome!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy - Amalfi Coast and Tuscany/Florence in September. We are not looking for a hectic and action-packed trip, and would rather take our time exploring and enjoying both regions self-guided. Thinking about 10 days on the Amalfi Coast and 10 days in Tuscany. For Amalfi, we are deciding whether we should have one base, Sorrento or Praino for example, or stay 5 days in each location. We'll be taking public transportation. Will there be too much time spent on traveling if staying in one town to travel the coast, or is it better to have 2 bases? Afterward, we will travel to Tuscany for about 10 days, 5 in Pienza as a base where we will rent a car, then drive to Florence, return the car and spend 5 days. Would you split that time differently? Any suggestions are welcome!
Hi Ana
Re: Amalfi Coast, those locations are close enough (1h15m with the frequent SITA buses), with whatever walking you'd have at either end.https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/sorrento-to-positano-bus-schedule

They can provide a different experience, so it's a valid option. e.g. Sorrento is popular & touristy, whilst Praiano will feel quieter.

If you want a bigger contrast, then Sorrento + Ravello would be it. A longer transfer, including a change of bus at Amalfi (or you could take a taxi from Amalfi to ease the burden). Ravello quieter still, and arguably with the best views of what is a stunning coastline. If doing this, I'd use Sorrento to be active, seeing Pompeii & Herculaneum, and maybe Positano or Capri as well (and Praiano could also serve as a reasonable base for such active exploring). Meanwhile in Ravello you can relax, visit the contrasting gardens (formal Rufulo & more relaxed Cimbrone), enjoy the walks, the views and the peace.

FWIW we did a 2 base holiday ourselves here, with Ravello followed by the less fancy/celebrated Pogerola, and we enjoyed the contrast.

One alternative, that may ease the logistics, is to have 3-4 days in Napoli, and 6-7 days in a single AC base, e.g. Praiano. Naples can be a love it / hate it place. Incredibly vibrant/full of life and yet also be intimidating/intense. It does allow you to most of the artifacts recovered from Pompeii, and in logistical terms might break that longer transfer up brilliantly.

_________

For Tuscany, that does also give some good contrast, though I'd probably be looking for an agriturismo or similar (just) outside of Pienza to make the driving easier, and add to the contrast. If there's lots you want to see and do in Firenze, then stick with the 5 days, but I personally might switch to a 4 there and 6 in Pienza.

One final thought. Although it would look madness on a map, it appears that Napoli to Firenze on the train has a number of direct routes, and is faster than Napoli to Pienza (worth checking this on trenitalia). Thus although it means some doubling back, I wonder whether Amalfi Coast (via napoli) to Firenze by train is a better option, hiring a car on exit from Firenze to go to Pienza, potentially returning the car to Pisa or Firenze airport (and it's always nice to have a car to get to the airport, as those heavy bags don't have to be lugged around).

I like Ian’s suggestion of a few days in Naples, then one location on the Amalfi Coast. I would pick Positano because you have better transportation options - buses and boats.

We’ve done three 2-week trips to the Amalfi Coast, two based in Positano, one in Praiano, all with a car. We were mostly into hiking.

Transportation is the problem with the Amalfi Coast. Buses can be packed. Having a car is not ideal. But it is a fabulous place!

I’ve written trip reports for our trips, and you’ll find them and others in the Trip Reports forum.

Ravello is beautiful, never stayed there but always made my way up there.

The buses from Amalfi to Ravello and back can be packed. There have been times where you're in a long queue and you don't get on the bus, have to wait for the next one.

Some people on Tripadvisor say taxis will charge €30 or more to drive you up there.

The views are great but if you want to connect to buses and ferries for the rest of the Amalfi Coast, you have to go down to Amalfi.

Never stayed in Positano. Places are more expensive, as it's very popular and all of the accommodations are along hills and have ocean views.

Sorrento is definitely more convenient for Pompeii and maybe Capri as well. But to reach any of the towns on the Amalfi Coast, it's a long SITA bus ride.

If the OP likes to hike, Il Sentiero degli Dei or the Path of the Gods is famous.

With 10 days, it might be worth 2 or 3 nights in Capri.

You can spend 7-8 days on the AC, then take a ferry to Capri. Then from Capri, you can take a ferry back to Napoli and the train station (taxi from the port to the train station).

Lot of day trippers in Capri but like a lot of places, it is beautiful in the evenings and even early mornings before places get crowded.

Been to the AC and Capri 3 times. I've always passed through Napoli, never spent a night there. Not saying there's no reason to. Archeology, probably a lot of history since it was a capital, unique food.

FWIW we tended to settle on walking down from Ravello to Amalfi (or Minori), but taking the bus back up. Mostly because of the slope, but it also made sense when we had groceries. Very true about the bus being crowded, though whenever it was too full to get all the passengers on in Amalfi, they always seemed to find another bus & driver to take the remainder within 5 mins. I hope that's still the case.

The walking is indeed superb, and the Tippett guide still a wonderful resource, covering as far as Sorrento, as well as the Amalfi coast proper. There are even some lovely paths not even featured in the book, including a superb one we found inland of Ravello... and without any steps on it!!!

I only walked down from Ravello to Amalfi once. IIRC, it took about an hour and I felt it. It wasn't a leisurely stroll even though you're walking downhill.

Even if you are fit, it still requires a bit of time, if you wanted to get to Amalfi to get on a bus or ferry to Positano.

So that extra time, whether taking the bus or walking, will impact how much of the other towns you might be able to see in a given number of days.

So that extra time, whether taking the bus or walking, will impact how much of the other towns you might be able to see in a given number of days.
Ravello definitely not a base for active exploring along the coast. Yes it's possible to do Capri, or Pompeii, or even Paestum from Ravello, but it's definitely more tiring / time consuming than going from e.g. Amalfi, such that if based in Ravello, it forces you to limit such exploring aspirations to what absolutely appeals the most.

Hi Ana
Re: Amalfi Coast, those locations are close enough (1h15m with the frequent SITA buses), with whatever walking you'd have at either end.https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/sorrento-to-positano-bus-schedule

They can provide a different experience, so it's a valid option. e.g. Sorrento is popular & touristy, whilst Praiano will feel quieter.

If you want a bigger contrast, then Sorrento + Ravello would be it. A longer transfer, including a change of bus at Amalfi (or you could take a taxi from Amalfi to ease the burden). Ravello quieter still, and arguably with the best views of what is a stunning coastline. If doing this, I'd use Sorrento to be active, seeing Pompeii & Herculaneum, and maybe Positano or Capri as well (and Praiano could also serve as a reasonable base for such active exploring). Meanwhile in Ravello you can relax, visit the contrasting gardens (formal Rufulo & more relaxed Cimbrone), enjoy the walks, the views and the peace.

FWIW we did a 2 base holiday ourselves here, with Ravello followed by the less fancy/celebrated Pogerola, and we enjoyed the contrast.

One alternative, that may ease the logistics, is to have 3-4 days in Napoli, and 6-7 days in a single AC base, e.g. Praiano. Naples can be a love it / hate it place. Incredibly vibrant/full of life and yet also be intimidating/intense. It does allow you to most of the artifacts recovered from Pompeii, and in logistical terms might break that longer transfer up brilliantly.

_________

For Tuscany, that does also give some good contrast, though I'd probably be looking for an agriturismo or similar (just) outside of Pienza to make the driving easier, and add to the contrast. If there's lots you want to see and do in Firenze, then stick with the 5 days, but I personally might switch to a 4 there and 6 in Pienza.

One final thought. Although it would look madness on a map, it appears that Napoli to Firenze on the train has a number of direct routes, and is faster than Napoli to Pienza (worth checking this on trenitalia). Thus although it means some doubling back, I wonder whether Amalfi Coast (via napoli) to Firenze by train is a better option, hiring a car on exit from Firenze to go to Pienza, potentially returning the car to Pisa or Firenze airport (and it's always nice to have a car to get to the airport, as those heavy bags don't have to be lugged around).
Thanks for this perspective! Also, regarding the train from Napoli to Firenze, I'm assuming you're referring to the high-speed train, is that correct?

FWIW we tended to settle on walking down from Ravello to Amalfi (or Minori), but taking the bus back up. Mostly because of the slope, but it also made sense when we had groceries. Very true about the bus being crowded, though whenever it was too full to get all the passengers on in Amalfi, they always seemed to find another bus & driver to take the remainder within 5 mins. I hope that's still the case.

The walking is indeed superb, and the Tippett guide still a wonderful resource, covering as far as Sorrento, as well as the Amalfi coast proper. There are even some lovely paths not even featured in the book, including a superb one we found inland of Ravello... and without any steps on it!!!
Thanks for the tips!

Ravello is beautiful, never stayed there but always made my way up there.

The buses from Amalfi to Ravello and back can be packed. There have been times where you're in a long queue and you don't get on the bus, have to wait for the next one.

Some people on Tripadvisor say taxis will charge €30 or more to drive you up there.

The views are great but if you want to connect to buses and ferries for the rest of the Amalfi Coast, you have to go down to Amalfi.

Never stayed in Positano. Places are more expensive, as it's very popular and all of the accommodations are along hills and have ocean views.

Sorrento is definitely more convenient for Pompeii and maybe Capri as well. But to reach any of the towns on the Amalfi Coast, it's a long SITA bus ride.

If the OP likes to hike, Il Sentiero degli Dei or the Path of the Gods is famous.

With 10 days, it might be worth 2 or 3 nights in Capri.

You can spend 7-8 days on the AC, then take a ferry to Capri. Then from Capri, you can take a ferry back to Napoli and the train station (taxi from the port to the train station).

Lot of day trippers in Capri but like a lot of places, it is beautiful in the evenings and even early mornings before places get crowded.

Been to the AC and Capri 3 times. I've always passed through Napoli, never spent a night there. Not saying there's no reason to. Archeology, probably a lot of history since it was a capital, unique food.
Thanks for sharing, it's helpful!

Thanks for this perspective! Also, regarding the train from Napoli to Firenze, I'm assuming you're referring to the high-speed train, is that correct?
yes - those high-speed trains are fast, and generally more comfortable.

As I’m researching flights from our area, it appears that non-stop flights are available to Rome and not Naples. We do prefer non-stop flights to avoid possibly missing connecting flights and longer air travel. Any thoughts on landing in Rome and taking the high-speed train to Naples and then private transfer to Sorrento or Amalfi (not sure yet which of these will be first), instead of flying into Naples? Will the extra train ride be worth having a non-stop flight?

As I’m researching flights from our area, it appears that non-stop flights are available to Rome and not Naples. We do prefer non-stop flights to avoid possibly missing connecting flights and longer air travel. Any thoughts on landing in Rome and taking the high-speed train to Naples and then private transfer to Sorrento or Amalfi (not sure yet which of these will be first), instead of flying into Naples? Will the extra train ride be worth having a non-stop flight?
I guess it depends what the transfer is like, though personally I much prefer train travel to the cattle herding of modern air travel, so it would have to be a brief and reliable transfer for me to want that option.

The only (small) snag being the best train prices are often for specific trains, pre-booked in advance, so you'll find yourself weighing up which train is likely going to be a 99% safe bet, whilst accepting some waiting time... or ignoring the saving, and trying to get a ticket on the next train after getting to the ticket office.

One alternative worth checking, as I don't know if they're still going, are direct coaches from Rome Fiumicino to Amalfi coast. I remember finding out about them here, but that was years ago, and don't know if they still occur.

I guess it depends what the transfer is like, though personally I much prefer train travel to the cattle herding of modern air travel, so it would have to be a brief and reliable transfer for me to want that option.

The only (small) snag being the best train prices are often for specific trains, pre-booked in advance, so you'll find yourself weighing up which train is likely going to be a 99% safe bet, whilst accepting some waiting time... or ignoring the saving, and trying to get a ticket on the next train after getting to the ticket office.

One alternative worth checking, as I don't know if they're still going, are direct coaches from Rome Fiumicino to Amalfi coast. I remember finding out about them here, but that was years ago, and don't know if they still occur.
Thank you, Ian, for your thoughts. It's very helpful, particularly about buying train tickets!

That's odd, as I thought I added an update to the above post. I had a quick look, and direct coaches from Leonetti Roma go to Pompeii / Ercolano, with some heading onto Salerno... but nothing direct to the Amalfi Coast. At least from what I could find out from Google.

That's odd, as I thought I added an update to the above post. I had a quick look, and direct coaches from Leonetti Roma go to Pompeii / Ercolano, with some heading onto Salerno... but nothing direct to the Amalfi Coast. At least from what I could find out from Google.
Thank you for searching!

It looks like several transfers need to be taken if flying into Rome vs. Naples. Plan A-From Fiumicino Airport take Leonardo Express to Termini Station 30 min, take a high-speed train to Naples Central Station for 70 min, and take one of the transfer options to Sorrento. Of course, this will stretch out the day due to the wait times in between. Plan B-Fly into Naples, 8 min shuttle to Central Station and take one of the transfer options to Sorrento. Still debating if the several moving parts are worth it to have a direct flight, rather than a 3-hour connecting flight. Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Under current schedules, there is a direct train from FCO Airport to Naples (no change in Rome) leaving at 9.38 a.m., if your flight arrival is early enough to make that.
Thanks Andrew. We land at 11 a.m. in Rome. Which direct train are you referring to?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina