• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Help me plan my trip to Israel

Our flights are booked - we are doing this trip! Two weeks in the middle of March, returning home several days before Passover/Easter. We arrive and leave on a Monday and I will keep in mind that things are closed from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, so won't travel on Saturday. (Does the country really close down?)

You gave me that info @Amy . Thanks!

Can you post links for both? I am considering all options.

The current plan is 6 - 7 nights in Jerusalem staying in the apartments that @ItalophileNJ recommends - Colony Suites(vacation rentals in the German Colony section of Jerusalem). Many have kitchenettes - two burner portable stove top - but two have full kitchens. We will go for the full kitchen since we cook most meals in.

Possible plan for the second week - rent a car and spend 5 nights in the Galilee area. End with 2 nights in Tel Aviv (or visit Tel Aviv from Jerusalem) or Haifa. Our flight home is late afternoon so we could drive to the airport from the northern area.

I've been reading about some of the ancient sites. Akka (Acre) looks like something we will want to see (recommended by @berliej) and Caesarea Roman ruins (recommended by @Amy and @berliej ).

Steve has been brushing up on his Hebrew!

We've been so obsessed with Italy and France (and the UK and Switzerland) for all these years that it is very exciting to be going somewhere very different from them.

Hi Pauline, found this site about Vegan food which I thought you might find interesting
https://www.facebook.com/Be-Tel-Avi...pKpV2WCkic2kfLgTXfkH1EWy8MvfqFyd-8Zrw&fref=nf

If you are in Jerusalem on Saturday you will find some restaurants open but I believe you said you won't really eat out. The Israel Museum is open 10-5 on Saturday. I believe you can walk the on the ramparts around the old city on Saturday.

I am back to working on this trip plan. The latest season of the Amazon Prime show "Transparent" had several episodes set in Israel. They did a trip to the Dead Sea - so will we!!

UPDATED PLAN - all comments/suggestions welcome

7 nights in Jerusalem, in a vacation rental in the German Colony, from the ageny Colony Suites. From there we will do a day trip to Tel Aviv.

2 nights in the Ein Gedi Hotel (on a kibbutz). We will get a rental car in Jerusalem and drive to Ein Gedi. From there we will visit Masada and Qumran and the Dead Sea. We will do a hike in the Ein Gedi nature reserve.

5 nights in northern Israel. We will drive here from Ein Gedi. After our stay here we will drive to the airport to fly home.

But, this is where I am stuck. I can't find any good looking vacation rentals on Airbnb or HomeAway for the area roughly Haifa and the Sea of Galilee. All I find are B&Bs. We need a place with a kitchen.

Many of the places that say they have kitchens only have a fridge and a microwave. Sometimes you find a two burner hot plate type thing. Why no kitchens? Does everyone eat salad or go out to eat when they vacation in the north? And why do all the places feature jacuzzis? They put in a huge jacuzzi but not a stovetop?

Many of the places on Airbnb are horrible looking - the photos are amazing - out of focus, places not even cleaned up before taking the photo, not inspiring. (Please excuse this rant!)

What I would like is good looking vacation rentals, house or apartment, in a nice small town (a bit upscale), with a few restaurants and shops. Or something rural but close to a town. Any ideas?

@berliej recommended the Vered Hagalil Horse Ranch but they don't have kitchens. I looked at rentals in Amirim (the vegetarian village), but can't find one with a kitchen (okay, one has a kitchen but it is in the bedroom).

I will do some more searching and post a short list. There are rentals in Nazareth and Safed - maybe I am better off looking there. Lots of rental in Tiberius on the Sea of Galilee, but I've read that it is not very interesting to stay there. There is a good selection of apartments in Haifa, but I would prefer to be out in the countryside.

I've been reading the TA forums and will post there eventually.

Pauline if you will have a car there is a great apartment available in Acre. It is called Voice of the Sea and is available on either booking.com or airbnb . Right on the Sea front. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15330455 Acre is a great place.. Good restaurants, nice old town. Amazing Crusader Fortress. Easy access to lots of places

Last edited:
Pauline if you will have a car there is a great apartment available in Acre. It is called Voice of the Sea and is available on either booking.com or airbnb . Right on the Sea front. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15330455 Acre is a great place.. Good restaurants, nice old town. Amazing Crusader Fortress. Easy access to lots of places

It is booked for part of the time I need in March! Looks great though, thanks. I will look in Acre - that is a good idea to stay there.

I read about Rosh Pinna on the TA forums and looked there but did not find anything yet. I will put together my short list and post it.

My trip is booked!

7 nights in Jerusalem, in a vacation rental in the German Colony, from the ageny Colony Suites. From there we will do a day trip to Tel Aviv. Maybe a trip into the Palastinian Territorries.

2 nights in the Ein Gedi Hotel (on a kibbutz). We will get a rental car in Jerusalem and drive to Ein Gedi. From there we will visit Masada and Qumran and the Dead Sea. We will do a hike in the Ein Gedi nature reserve.

5 nights in northern Israel, at Azamra Inn in Safed (Tsfat). It is a studio apartment with a kitchenette which includes a 2 burner stovetop. We will walk some of the Jesus Trail, see the Roman ruins at Beit She'an National Park and Caesarea, visit Acre (Akko), visit Nazareth, visit some Galilee Sea sites. Maybe up to Hula Valley to see the migratory birds. I am still researching this area.

We have a late afternoon flight so will have that travel day to see something while driving to Tel Aviv airport.

I know we have missed out on many things, but this will give us a taste of Israel I think.

More planning to be done over the winter. Please post any suggestions.

We were there two years ago and had an absolutely terrific guide for two he picked us up in Haifa and took us to Galilee, Megadoo, Cana, Nazareth etc and then on to Jerusalem. Udi Guberman was incredibly well informed and responsive to our interests. One of the best guides we have ever had. He can be reached at info@travelisrael.co.il
If you reach out, you will likely hear back from his wife Keppy if Udi is out with a tour.

I am doing my research for this trip. I am reading a book about the history of Israel (
Israel: A Concise History of a Nation Reborn by Daniel Gordis), plus have two novels set in Israel lined up (Exodus by Leon Uris, obviously, and The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman, historic novel set in Masada - maybe also The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East by Sandy Tolan).

We don't need a guide to tour us around - we will have a car - but I am thinking of a guide for one day in Jerusalem.

A guide for a day in Jerusalem is a good idea. There is a lot to see there and so much history that I found it very helpful to have a guide take me through the Old City on my first trip. The woman I used was terrific but she is no longer in Jerusalem. I can ask around for recommendations if you want me to.

I liked the Lemon Tree.

I hired a tour guide for a day in Jerusalem - Madeleine Lavine, www.touringwithmadeleine.blogspot.co.il. She is recommended in the travel guide I got from the Trip Advisor Forums. I have never used a private tour guide before, preferring to read about places myself, but this time I think we will need one. She will take us through the Old City.

I liked the Lemon Tree.

I'll read it!

I went into complete meltdown on this trip in the last week. I am reading The Lemon Tree (recommended on this thread) and the whole situation, which I knew about and understood, really got to me! That is a good book, but nightmare inducing.

We were booked into a nice apartment in Safed for the last 5 nights of the trip but I did a lot of Google Maps - Street View exploring and I don't like the town. I speak from total ignorance, but it looked "down at the heels" and we can't park at the apartment, and it is up on a hill which is great in summer, but we are going in March, and the guide I hired for one day in Jerusalem said she did not recommend Safed.

I looked and looked at rentals in the area north or west of the Sea of Galilee and could not find anything with a kitchen and that I liked. I have to admit, I wrote a long, slightly hysterical email to @Amy and asked what should I do? Should we stay in Haifa? (Amy loves Haifa.) Amy said yes, told me the neighborhoods to look in, went over my short list, and now we are booked in a nice apartment in Carmel Center of Haifa, with a balcony and view of the city and sea. Thank you @Amy!!

The apartment was only available for 4 nights, so our last night will be in Tel Aviv. I am finally happy with this plan.

Jerusalem - 7 nights in an apartment in the German Colony. Pickup rental car on day we leave.
Ein Gedi - 2 nights in the Ein Gedi hotel near the Dead Sea. Visit Masada the day we drive from Jerusalem. Next day do a long hike in the nature reserve and visit the Dead Sea.
Haifa - 4 nights. Drive from Ein Gedi, stopping at Beit Shean (Roman ruins) on the way. Maybe also stop at Qumran before. Arrive Haifa late afternoon.
In Haifa, one day for Haifa, one day to explore the Galilee area (maybe up to Hula Valley too), one day up to Acre and maybe more of the Galilee area.
Tel Aviv - 1 night. Stop at Caesarea (Roman ruins) on the drive to Tel Aviv. Evening in Tel Aviv. Our flight the next day is late afternoon, so we have the morning in Tel Aviv too.

Now I have to figure out what we want to see and do in Jerusalem. We hired a guide to take us around the Old City. And to figure out what we most want to see in the Galilee area.

We ordered Israeli money (shekles - NIS) online and had it delivered to our bank in Bridport. How strange to pickup Israeli money in Dorset! It is colorful, similar to Euros. There are two versions of the 200 NIC bill - the one on the left is newer, I think. 200 NIS is $56 or £40.

We leave in 3 weeks.

IMG_3320.jpg

I was wondering ---- thinking your trip must be coming up soon. I've not used Madeleine Lavine but I know that Douglas on TA loves her, and he's a pretty good judge of guides. Is your guide for the Galilee by any chance Richard Woolf? He's a British expat who lives in Rosh Pina and I know he and Madeleine Lavine are friends; I used him for a few days in the Galilee and Golan a couple of years ago and loved him.
Don't worry too much about the shekels; you can get them easily at an ATM in Ben Gurion airport. And remember to take your little blue visa, the one you get at the airport, with you when you pick up your car: It's proof that you didn't enter Israel on an Israeli passport and are thus exempt from VAT. The visa is not stamped in your passport because of the various countries that won't allow you to enter if you've visited Israel, so just keep them together.

Enjoy!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina