• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Ostia Antica

... But we have concerns about some knee issues. How long would a respectable visit take? Any places to take a rest while within the ruins?
If my memory is right, Ostia Antica is not anywhere as big as Pompeii. I think you could go out and just visit part of it - and it would still be worth the trip.

Doru ~ on looking back at this thread, I realized you may have been referring to Stadio di Domiziano, as we had diverted off from the original topic of Ostia Antica? In which case, I didn't answer your question at all :oops: (is this an embarrassed, blushing emoticon?)

Doru, I think Heidi is correct about the time you may wish to hang out there. It's so pleasant, like a beautiful, peaceful park, that you can find numerous spots to sit and rest while you meander at whatever pace is comfortable. Have you one of those little portable traveling stools? They are so light-weight these days and might be useful for all your travels.
Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Have you one of those little portable traveling stools? They are so light-weight these days and might be useful for all your travels.
Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

What a great idea! I'm not there yet, but I see one of those in my future...

Also, Cheryl, I enjoyed reading through your web site and blog. There must be more to the My Italian Villa story. Will it be a book soon?;)

What a great idea! I'm not there yet, but I see one of those in my future...

Also, Cheryl, I enjoyed reading through your web site and blog. There must be more to the My Italian Villa story. Will it be a book soon?;)

Thank you, Heidi. Yes, there is more to the story and it will be coming soon…...

Hi everyone, I mentioned earlier in this thread that my friend Laura (who was born and lives here in Rome) is setting up a small business as a tour guide….she specializes in in-depth tours as she has an academic background and appreciates details. Her contact email is:info@lechiavidiroma.

Cheers,
Sandra

Hello 'Olde Friends', this is my first post and I will try to keep it brief...really.
Rob and I have gone out to Ostia four times(?), and love each visit.
There IS a snack bar, but as said earlier bring a picnic. Great places to stop and nibble (you can buy your drinks cold there, if you care).
We have always explored on our own, the last time w/ R. Steve's guide pages. We have explored to our hearts content, even going in the tunnels beneath the stage - at the far left end. There are some lovely Frescoes if you skinny-up behind walls, if Eden and Miles are w/ you this will be a great exploratory site, and there are so many other great places w/in the Park. ;-)

Thanks, Sandra!!! Does she also have a website, or is it too soon?
My pleasure, Rebecca! She is working on developing a websiite but at this point, she has been focusing more on developing content (on Saturday, we met for a language exchange and then we did a long walk around Rome's Celian Hill, adjacent to the Colosseum, and explored the underground houses there that have been excavated and developed as a museum. It is a fascinating sight).
Bye for now!
Sandra

Isn't it possible to get to Ostia by boat? I thought I had read that it was and think that would be a great way to get a sense of what it must have been like to travel there in ancient times. Have gotten there quite easily by train, it is a breeze to do. It will be hot there in July so I would plan on an early visit and be sure to take a hat.

Do I really need a tour or can we get by on our own?

Back to your original question Rebecca, I'm a very independent traveler, so rarely book tours BUT on Sandra's recommendation, I have booked her friend Laura for a tour of Ostia Antica in May! From her tour descriptions, I think it will be fun to have her make Ostia come alive for me; better than my usual books and other downloaded information...

I'm excited to meet her while her career is in its infancy... Her prices are sure to rise in the future...:p I could send you a quick review before your arrival in Roma.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina