• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt 2018 No. 20 - Walking

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. 20 (Week of May 20, 2018) – Walking

A Photo Hunt 2018category is available on the Media Gallery.

I really enjoyed seeing the beautiful jewelry from different places around the world. The variety of the pieces, the colors and material they are made from was very cool and interesting to see. To see them being created and also worn by the locals is also very special to see.

Upcoming Photo Hunt Themes:
Photo Hunt No. 21 (Week May 27, 2018) – In Memory Of
Photo Hunt No. 22 (Week of June 3, 2018) – Boat/Ship
Photo Hunt No. 23 (Week of June 10, 2018) – Small Town Stay (any wonderful small town stays you’ve experienced while traveling and/or while at home)
Photo Hunt No. 24 (Week of June 17, 2018) – Father

While visiting Scotland in 2009, I discovered some wonderful walking paths everywhere I stayed. This photo was on one such walking path up to Arthur’s Seat in Edinburgh. At the top there are beautiful panoramic views of the city below. Being the month of November, I was really lucky that I had a sunny day for my walk.

Last edited:
On one of our walks in the Alps some years ago.

Alp hiking trail (21).JPG

Alp hiking trail (20).JPG

I was so unprepared, wearing a pair of Mephisto sandals. Scary part of the trail but the views were beautiful.

The Johnson Canyon walk in Banff National Park is one of the most popular short walks in the Rockies, with its footpath built out over the river. It s not for the faint hearted...
Screen shot 2018-05-19 at 19.33.10.png
Screen shot 2018-05-19 at 19.33.21.png
Screen shot 2018-05-19 at 19.33.29.png

This is the rope bridge at Carrick a Rede in Northern Irreland. The family will tell you I hate suspension bridges and husband never thought I'd have the bottle to go across this.
Carrick a Rede.png

He did stand and block the bridge so no-one could bounce across with me.

A bit further afield this time - Mongolia. We'd spent the morning walking in Khustai National Park. This is natural steppe grassland and is famous for the Takhi wild horse – the original wild Mongolian horse, and a different species to the domestic horse. These were extinct in the wild and a few specimens were discovered in zoos and have been reintroduced here. The animals are completely wild and have never been tamed or ridden.
Screen shot 2018-05-21 at 11.04.19.png

We spent a night here, sleeping in a tradition ger.
Screen shot 2018-05-21 at 11.05.06.png

This is wonderful walking country - there are no recognised footpaths - you just wander where you want. We climbed up onto one of the ridges (and yes, that is me enjoying the view!)
Khustai National Park.png

One of our favorite walks began here…
Chutes0.jpg

It was about a 4 km walk to our goal through the rain forest and 4 km back out
Chutes1.jpg

The trails were well marked, but there was a lot of ups and downs
Chutes2.jpg
As we walked there was plenty to see
Chutes3.jpg

Then we could hear the roar of the waterfall
Chutes4.jpg

Our destination had been reached. It was the smallest of series of three chutes with only 30 meter drop.
Chutes5.jpg
The tallest waterfall has a 110 meter drop. We chose the little falls because it was the trail less traveled. We did not see a soul on our walk. The sounds of the frogs and birds sang to us the entire walk in and back out.

Basse-Terre Guadeloupe FWI

Attachments

• Chutes5.jpg
    Chutes5.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 20

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina