• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Photo Hunt 2018 No. 27 - Fruit

Kathy (Trekcapri)

100+ Posts
This week’s Photo Hunt No. No. 27 (Week of July 8, 2018) – Fruit

A Photo Hunt 2018 category is available on the Media Gallery.

I feel so lucky when I happen to be traveling to a place where there’s some kind of festival or celebration going on. First it’s fun and second I feel more like a local taking part in their celebration. It’s also a unique learning experience to the traditions of their culture. I enjoyed seeing a couple examples of celebrations you all were able to photograph and experience.

Upcoming Photo Hunt Themes:
Photo Hunt No. 28 (Week of July 15, 2018) – Action Capture (anything or anyone you captured in motion)
Photo Hunt No. 29 (Week of July 22, 2018) – Urban Landscape
Photo Hunt No. 30 (Week of July 29, 2018) – Something Blue

One can’t visit Venice, Italy without making a trip to their famous Rialto Market. It’s colorful, busy, and full of delicious fresh fruits, vegetables, and seafood. The delicious looking fruit cups being sold at this one vendor caught my camera’s lens and my appetite.

Borough Market, London

fullsizeoutput_24bf.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_35cb.jpeg

Do tomatoes count as fruit? Although usually described as a vegetable, botanically speakig they are fruits. I was amazed by whole stalls selling just tomatoes in Beaune.
Beaune.png

When we're in Italy, we try to see the wonderful fruits not only in the markets, but also where they grow. The photos are from north-west Italy (and tomatoes are indeed fruits, the ones in the last photo are mechanically harvested, probably for paste) :

29708446884_db10640fab_z.jpg

30334455055_4e826d0045_z.jpg
30303035435_e4386761d4_z.jpg
30225442916_df8a35d182_z.jpg
30951984752_1720b9e74a_z.jpg
30221888302_839199a6ea_z.jpg

The rowan berries in my garden are almost ripe. I've not tried making them into rowan jelly but the blackbirds love them and have stripped the trees by the end of August.
IMG_0567.jpg

Medlars were popular in Medieval times but you don't see them around now, which is one of the reasons I decided to plant a medlar tree in the garden. They have pretty white flowers, which develop into a rather strange looking fruit which has a variety of rude names...

My fruits are still ripening and will turn brown in another month. They are very hard and inedible when picked and have to be 'bletted'. They have to be stored in a cool dry place for about three weeks by which time they have softened. eaten raw, they are rich and sweet and taste a bit like figs. Alternatively they make a very good jelly...

P7090364.JPG

P7090367.JPG

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina