• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Post Your Most Memorable Pics of Italy

Our last trip to Italy included a first-time visit to Bologna, two years ago. We spent five days there, had a room smack in the middle of the city, a stone's throw from Piazza Maggiore. The Piazza itself gave a great "sense of place" to the city - not only is it grand as a public square with the impressive cathedral as a backdrop, but the movement of the residents through this space, and the events there, made it pretty much the heart of the city in my eyes.

The other outstanding landmark is the two towers. They rise above everything else, and I felt that this and their rather basic form and structure really connect the present to the past.

Here are some photos of them, including some that show the view from the top, and of the towers from other vantage points. I must say that the visits were handled very well, and kept a sane amount of people going up and down, and at the top.

r0005962_45760721312_o.jpg

r0005967_44897120365_o.jpg

r0006126_stitch_31939281448_o v small.jpg

r0006136_45760971262_o.jpg

r0006196_stitch_45761107902_o small.jpg

r0006014_stitch_31939158098_o.jpg

Vendors moving the carts from the Straw Market next to Il Porcellino in Florence away into storage for the night.
Such a lot of work for them to do this twice a day.
I believe there are huge garage type storage buildings for all the carts, somewhere nearby.

Attachments

• IMG_4668.JPG
    IMG_4668.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4666.JPG
    IMG_4666.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
Standing in contrast to the lightning speed with which the unauthorized vendors can clear their merchandise away when the call goes up for a sighting of the carabinieri?

Reactions: SMJ
Civita di Bagnoregio. Thanks to Rick Steves I was aware of this very unusual hill town. The walkway up to the town is of course relatively modern. One can only imagine the difficulty for centuries of walking up a dirt trail to reach the town.View attachment 25623View attachment 25624

We first visited the town in December of 2012 and returned in December of 2019. The town hasn’t changed, but it was a little more expensive. In 2012 there was no charge for parking and there was free access to the walking bridge. Now you have to pay to park in the lot and there is an admission to walk the foot bridge. Nothing exorbitant, but it is a sign of the times. It is such a unique town, I highly recommend you make a little detour to it if you have the time.

Pictured is the walk up to the town and the walk down from the town.

The town is very close to Orvieto and it was Cheryl's website that inspired me. :)

Civita di Bagnoregio. Thanks to Rick Steves I was aware of this very unusual hill town. The walkway up to the town is of course relatively modern. One can only imagine the difficulty for centuries of walking up a dirt trail to reach the town.View attachment 25623View attachment 25624

We first visited the town in December of 2012 and returned in December of 2019. The town hasn’t changed, but it was a little more expensive. In 2012 there was no charge for parking and there was free access to the walking bridge. Now you have to pay to park in the lot and there is an admission to walk the foot bridge. Nothing exorbitant, but it is a sign of the times. It is such a unique town, I highly recommend you make a little detour to it if you have the time.

Pictured is the walk up to the town and the walk down from the town.

The town is very close to Orvieto and it was Cheryl's website that inspired me. :)
I so love that I was the inspiration for this! Grazie! As you say, "a sign of the times"...Yes, the commune finally made the decision to save Civita so they had to find a way to fund the restoration and though I am sad about the increased tourism, I am also glad they moved on their decision. It's much more commercial than when I first visited 24 years ago but then, change happens so no going back. I'm looking forward to what others post here!
Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

I
And if I can do two more....the Devil's Bridge, Borgo a Mozzano, Lucca Province (took life in hands to walk up narrow two lane road to find the right angle to get photo at about 11:00 at night). Second photo is the view from our front window at my wife's house in Tempagnano di Valdottavo (pleasingly near the Devil's Bridge).

View attachment 25641View attachment 25642
Is that the Devil's Bridge in the mountains above Lucca???
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

NoSpin has now inspired me to look through some of my unpublished photos:
Bottom left, San Pellegrino "hood, Viterbo-'07
Middle, Otricoli (1 hour north of Rome)-'10
Niki d'Saint Phalle's Tarot Garden, Grosetto region-'09

Attachments

• DSCN3105.JPG
    DSCN3105.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 10
  • may & sept 09 062.JPG
    may & sept 09 062.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 10
Looking down on Menaggio and Lake Como, from the hike up above the town to where trenches were dug in WW1 for troops.

Attachments

• 2010 Italian Holiday All Photos 596.jpg
    2010 Italian Holiday All Photos 596.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 11
Yes
Cheryl, what am I looking at in the Otricoli photo, is that the ruins of an amphitheater?
The ruins in Otricoli are quite remarkable. In fact it's so large that there are two amphitheaters. The ruins are on a private property but the family called in a university from Rome to excavate and record the history, then they opened it up for the public. The beauty of it is multi-faceted:
Otricoli was once the olive oil capital for distribution as it's along the Tiber; the life that thrived there is evident in the ruins of the marketplace, baths, amphitheaters, etc. It's a great place to wander for the day, take a picnic, sketch, photograph......I've rarely seen more than half a dozen people there in all the times I've visited. Very special, very convenient, not far off the autostrada, very secret!!!
Cheryl
www.italianexursion.com

Looking out of the window of the Uffizi Gallery in Florence, when a moth attached himself to the window just as I took the photo.

Attachments

• 2010 Italian Holiday All Photos 065.jpg
    2010 Italian Holiday All Photos 065.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 5
Visiting with Pauline & Steve several years ago, we hiked (me, complaining all the way up the hill) to this amazing chapel. When we got there, we found a hauntingly empty, lovely place where a woman was singing a hymn......Not Italy, I know, but on the tail of trip to Italy, so I shall count it!
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

Attachments

• IMG_4554.JPG
    IMG_4554.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 8

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina