• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Information Restrictions to enter Italy

One article in Italian : on June 3 they are to end the restriction on travel between regions, and be open to travelers from EU countries in the Schengen area, including non-EU Switzerland, without a 14-day quarantine.

Editing following the replies I hadn't seen: as I see it, this will only be for travelers with Schengen-area passports, not those from the British Isles or U.S.

I would count more on Italian sources; here is another one (Repubblica). The last paragraph translates to: "Still all external European borders, that is with the rest of the world, will stay closed at least until June 15. In the middle of next month the European Union will decide whether to lift the closing or extend it." It may be ambiguous where the British Isles stand, but there should be clarity shortly.

The decree might only apply to the Vatican and San Marino as they are separate countries within our borders. 3 June is when restrictions for movement between our regions will be relaxed. I would expect this might change again as things evolve.

Now they are talking about a cash bonus for Italians to vacation in-country.

As Andrew said... go to the source. I'm referring to the wording listed on the MInistero della Salute's website.

Now they are talking about a cash bonus for Italians to vacation in-country.
And the UK government said don’t plan on international trips this summer.

“The conclusion from that is it is unlikely that big, lavish international holidays are going to be possible for this summer.” Matt Hancock on the ITV morning show.

How about a small hiking holiday?:dork:

From The Guardian this evening:

“From 3 June, people can travel from region to region, unless the Italian government exercises containment measures based on the risk of infection in any given area, and people arriving from EU member states, the Schengen area (including Switzerland), the UK and Northern Ireland, Andorra, Principality of Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City will no longer be subject to a mandatory quarantine.”

Another Italian source: Il Sole 24 ore. They say (in the "Spostamenti tra regioni..." section) that entry will be open from EU and Schengen countries, including the U.K. for now, subject to limits that could be determined later.

And the UK government said don’t plan on international trips this summer. “The conclusion from that is it is unlikely that big, lavish international holidays are going to be possible for this summer.” Matt Hancock on the ITV morning show...

MPs without summer holiday travel ... really ?!

Everything here in Italian says Italy will open for travel from within the EU only on June 3, but that could change if cases rise sharply in the next few weeks from this part of Phase 2. (It may also be a political maneuver on Conte's part but that is a different discussion.) It would be amazing to go to the Amalfi Coast without crowds, as Pauline said. But while restaurants and such have opened now (sort of ) I'll be afraid to eat out for some time to come. I go to my own coffee bar (she is doing take-away only right now) because I know her and what she is doing for sterilizing but other places scare me. I do have a hair appointment on Thursday and the owner told me about all the measures we will have to take. It will be an interesting experience!

There had been a lot of talk here about various restrictions to travel with today's changes but so far the government is sticking to their original plans. This is from the Foreign Affairs Ministry website:

How will travel to and from abroad change from June 3?
From June 3, people will be allowed to travel freely from and to the following States:

• Member States of the European Union (besides Italy, the following are EU Member States: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the Czech Republic);
  • States party to the Schengen Agreement (non-EU States party to the Schengen Agreement are: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland);
  • United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland;
  • Andorra, Principality of Monaco;
  • Republic of San Marino and Vatican City State.
From 3 June, persons travelling to Italy from these countries will no longer be required to self-isolate under the supervision of the health authorities for 14 days, unless they have stayed in other Countries during a 14-day period prior to entering Italy. For example, persons travelling to Italy from France on June 14 will be required to self-isolate only if they travelled to France from the United States, for example, on June 4; however, they will not be required to self-isolate if they travelled to France from the United States prior to May 30, or if they stayed in Germany between May 31 and June 13. Between June 3 and 15, the same rules applying until June 2 to travel to from abroad shall continue to apply to travel to and from States other than those listed above (see the previous FAQ).

Horribly disappointed to see pending EU restrictions that put the US in the company of Brazil and Russia in terms of not controlling the pandemic well enough to meet entry standards for EU tourism. Still hoping for our September trip, but not looking good.

Hi Alpinista
One of those instances that brings it home that the US is huge, and with massive variation in attitudes and infection.
Regards
Ian

The Basilicata Region has issued these requirements for visitors:

For all of who enter the region there is the obligation of a fourteen-day quarantine at their home, residence or place of stay previously indicated and the prohibition of social contacts, going out or travel.

The person entering Basilicata will be offered the rhinopharyngeal test swab. In case of negativity to the virus, the fiduciary domicile ceases. In the case of a positive result, however, the infected person will be taken care of by the Covid-19 special health units, without prejudice to their stay at home.

This does not apply to those from other regions of Italy or the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Estonia, Greece, Spain, Finland, France, Croatia, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Latvia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia, United Kingdom and Northern Ireland, Andorra, Monaco, Republic of San Marino, Vatican City State.

Not sure how anyone not from these countries would get to Basilicata as they wouldn't be allowed into Italy except under special circumstances. :rolleyes:

Not directly Italy-related, but just was canceled out of a trip to Egypt that we were planning after our visit to Italy in September (that I'm sure isn't going to happen either). Agent said they would be happy to rebook for 2021 -- said, yes. Then got a call back saying same provider, same destinations, same amenities -- over $4,000 more. Must be time for all the travel-related functions to start recouping losses?

Not directly Italy-related, but just was canceled out of a trip to Egypt that we were planning after our visit to Italy in September (that I'm sure isn't going to happen either). Agent said they would be happy to rebook for 2021 -- said, yes. Then got a call back saying same provider, same destinations, same amenities -- over $4,000 more. Must be time for all the travel-related functions to start recouping losses?
May I ask what airline this was? What a mess.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina