• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Shoes! Comfy, travel-friendly, for women, for men...

I just love this thread, so happy it's been revived! I have bunions and a very high arch and just before leaving for Italy 4 years ago I found Sofft gladiator sandals similar to the Rio that were perfect from day 1 (that never happens!). I wore them the entire 8 week trip and twice to Paris and plan to take them again this August. The straps have a bit of elastic that allow for foot swelling and also keeps the shoes securely on our foot. I've lately been wearing FitFlop Banda that has the perfect heal height for me and a lot of arch support as well as cushiness. I worry though that they may slide around on my foot a bit too much for European travel. I remember for years back on ST someone suggesting men's shoes for their structure, which I've done several times too. I may take a pair of men's Cole Hahn loafers I bought last winter that are very supportive. Can't tell they're men's at all! I also love Cameron's shoe choices, currently drooling over her French ones.

I found the following at MEC but none come in women's size 10.5. As you can see 10 is the largest and of course, the style we both have seems to have disappeared as you discovered. I included a men's shoe but am sure that is not what you want.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-356/Luna-Light-Trail-Shoes

The three links are the same. This is their website:
https://obozfootwear.com/en-gb/women

No Luna Light, no Emerald Peak!

I have the Bridger for winter hiking, so does Steve. They worked well in cold, wet weather. Steve has the Sawtooth for summer, I have the Emerald Peak.

Sorry ladies, I didn't mean to upset your shoe talk fun. I took it as a serious question about how to pick shoes for walking in.
Well, I liked your suggestions because I find many of the comfortable shoes mentioned here not only expensive but quite ugly (and impossible to wear with skirts without looking ridiculous). When you mentioned Rieker I checked them out and found many models I like at very reasonable prices. So thanks for introducing me to them!

I really like the looks of the Rieker shoes too. I may have to order some to see how they fit me.

Chachalaca, as I wrote, I couldn't find the actual shoes my wife likes, the ones that I linked were similar. The actual shoes are grey leather with beige leather trim and soles similar to a running shoe and yes, they are perforated as I said, for coolness.

Chris, they are not Reikers per se, they are Remonte which is a sister company to Reiker just to be clear. My wife buys both brands and has for many years.

Once again, sorry if I stepped on any toes. Hehe, couldn't resist that one.

I said I liked the Riekers and that's what I meant. I checked them out online and liked them.

The three links are the same. This is their website:
https://obozfootwear.com/en-gb/women

No Luna Light, no Emerald Peak!

I have the Bridger for winter hiking, so does Steve. They worked well in cold, wet weather. Steve has the Sawtooth for summer, I have the Emerald Peak.

Pauline, how do you like the Bridger for comfort and for grip on rock? I just received a pair I ordered from MEC, but will not get to put them to the test until our trip to the mountains this summer. I ordered the mid, do you wear mid or the low boot? My absolute favourite boots are not carried by MEC anymore, I love the minimalist Asolo boots, most comfortable hiking boots I have ever owned, but I have worn the soles off after a lot of hiking in them.

If you're walking all day I recommend a good ol' pair of Converse. They're pretty cheap, impossibly comfortable and they last ages.

Pauline, how do you like the Bridger for comfort and for grip on rock?

I walked in them from January until April this year and they were comfortable. I am doing the #walk1000miles, so we were walking 20 - 25 miles a week on footpaths (in Dorset). Lots of mud, rough trails - but not rock. Steve has a pair also and wore his. We both got shoes instead of boots.

I have a pair of Asolo because my Lowa's wore out and Asolo were the only ones I could find in my size, but they are clunky and heavy. They are probably a different model than you had. They were comfortable and I will probably drag them out to use again.

Hiking boots and hiking shoes do tend to be big and clunky. Even I as a guy hate big clunky footwear. I find even most men's street shoes look big and clunky these days. I had a pair of lightweight Asolo hiking boots for years that if worn with long pants you would hardly notice them at all. With the pant cuff covering the tops of them, they just blended in. I'm not describing it very well, they just didn't catch your eye at all. They fit very close to the foot all round and had no distracting bright yellow splashes or black rubber toe pieces etc. Something like these but imagine them in all one colour (grey roughout leather and matching grey mesh) with no yellow or black toe cap.
http://www.asolo-usa.com/catalog/product/view/id/4703/s/fulton-men-s-grey/category/55/

Sadly, I had to retire them after about 6 or 7 years of great use. They finally bit the dust in Sedona, Arizona and I have been looking for an as good replacement ever since.

My grey Asolo's replaced my previous lightweight hiking boots specifically because they 'stood out' less and looked much better for in city wear as well as being great for hiking. Before my Asolo's I went through 3 pair of what is arguably one of the best ever lightweight hiking boots on the market and was also pretty much the first real lightweight hiking boot. I can clearly recall how the arguments in hiking/backpacking circles back in the mid 1980s went around about lightweight vs. old reliable all leather and 5lbs. a pair traditional boots. On the lightweight side, there was only the one example. They took boot weight from 5-6 lbs. down to 2 lbs.

Now for those who are not fanatic hiking/backpacking people, let me explain a little something about footwear weight vs. energy useage. For nearly 50 years now the saying in wilderness backpacking circles has been, 'a pound on your feet equals 5 lbs. on your back.' Meaning that it takes as much energy to lift up 1 lb. of footwear as it takes to hump another 5 lbs. in your backpack. If you doubt me or just like to see the evidence, it isn't hard to find. You can start here if you want to bother. http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...g/one-pound-off-feet-five-pounds-off-back.htm Otherwise, just take my word for it.

That means that for someone who is say backpacking in the Sonora Desert with 40-50lbs. in their backpack, if you change their footwear from 5 lbs. down to 2 lbs. all of a sudden, it is as if you took 15 lbs. off their back! It's like walking on air almost. That's what happened to hiking boots back in 1982.

Funnily enough, that revolutionary boot came from a running shoe company, New Balance. While much water has gone under the bridge since then, that first model is still one of the best and thanks to looking for a link to post in this thread, have just discovered has been re-issued as of last November. Did I mention, they were good enough to make it up to the North Col on Mount Everest? Uh huh. Here they are and in the original colours. https://hypebeast.com/2016/10/new-balance-rainier-remastered

Orangy brown and blue, hardly blending in to the background. The black doesn't look so bad and like my old Asolos, they are relatively close fitting at least. I just may have to find a place to try a pair on.

For those who do hike, I will suggest this. There is never a time when you need heavier leather hiking boots unless you are doing real mountaineering. Forget the old stories about not enough ankle support. Unless you actually have had an ankle injury or something, what you need is stronger ankles which come from exercise, not heavier boots. I'm always amazed at how many people I see day hiking in places like the Swiss Alps and still wearing big clunky and heavy leather hiking boots. I feel sorry for their backs.

Since it seems it is mostly women reading this thread, my wife's current choice for hiking shoes is the Lowa Renegade Low. She chose them for 2 reasons. First was fit. Some shoes just seem to fit an individual better than others and these fit her like a glove from day one. Second, orthotics. My wife has foot arch issues and uses custom orthotics in all her shoes. A lot of shoes are not as well suited to orthotics fit wise, these are no problem. She also finds the Reiker and Remonte street shoes I mentioned above are usually good for orthotics as well and that's one big reason why she buys so many pairs of them. I won't say anything about the other reason why she buys so many pairs of shoes. I'm a man, I'm not intended to understand it.

I stopped wearing hiking boots a few years ago (@jonathan convinced me) and I like having the lighter shoe. Another reason for a boot though is mud. Walking here in winter is muddy and I have had it come up and over the shoe. Steve still likes boots but wears a light Merrell when not wearing his Oboz.

Those New Balance look nice but they don't have that model for women in the UK and their website does not list my size.

I wore Lowa Renegrade Low and loved them, but can't find them here. I need a trip to an REI in the US!

I will never give up a hiking boot for a hiking shoe. In Ireland this past winter, we hiked through a lot of bog, unreal conditions and we needed a boot. We hiked with a local hiking group one day, and I noticed most of them wore heavy boots, a lot were leather. I would imagine that they chose those due to the soggy conditions. We wore the light Asolo boots, that would be a Yuma in women's and Reston, in men's.

The Bridger is a bit on the heavy side, compared to the light Asolo, but I will give them a test run. The Asolo looks absolutely terrible when they wear in a bit, they sort of resemble clown shoes, but I really don't care, since they are so comfortable.

It is really difficult for me to get a good fit, as I have narrow feet, in a boot, I need a narrow heel but a wider toe box.

My wife bought her current pair of Lowa Renegades in Davos Pauline, no need to go to the USA when you are planning to go to Switzerland again, which I believe you are.

I've just been looking and although the New Balance Canada site also says they have re-introduced the Rainier, I can't find one place within a 100 miles of Toronto that stocks them. New Balance don't see to be so popular here in Canada these days.

Now for those who are not fanatic hiking/backpacking people, let me explain a little something about footwear weight vs. energy useage. For nearly 50 years now the saying in wilderness backpacking circles has been, 'a pound on your feet equals 5 lbs. on your back.' Meaning that it takes as much energy to lift up 1 lb. of footwear as it takes to hump another 5 lbs. in your backpack. If you doubt me or just like to see the evidence, it isn't hard to find. You can start here if you want to bother. http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/...g/one-pound-off-feet-five-pounds-off-back.htm Otherwise, just take my word for it.

That means that for someone who is say backpacking in the Sonora Desert with 40-50lbs. in their backpack, if you change their footwear from 5 lbs. down to 2 lbs. all of a sudden, it is as if you took 15 lbs. off their back! It's like walking on air almost. That's what happened to hiking boots back in 1982.

Spot on about the weight on the feet being heavier than weight on your back. Hubby is a fanatical hiker (as an indication he's hiked the length of the Pyrenees not once, not twice, but three times) and used to swear by the ankle support argument (he has very slender ankles and used to sprain them regularly when I first knew him!). Nowadays he weighs everything that goes in his pack or on his body. He still has crampon-compatible boots for winter/heights, but otherwise he now wears much lighter shoes similar to the ones you link to. He flies up and down hills in them :)

My wife bought her current pair of Lowa Renegades in Davos Pauline, no need to go to the USA when you are planning to go to Switzerland again, which I believe you are.

They won't have my size. I tried last year to buy Lowas. I'll look again but I've never found my size in Switzerland. Swiss women are small. I should go to Scandinavia!

Pauline, we're coming over in August and have an REI near us. I could bring some over for you and drop them in the mail once were in the UK. A bit risky for me but I'd you know they'll fit.....

Veronicafrance, coming from a long background of wilderness backpacking, I have been telling people in travel forums for years that if they don't know the weight of every item they pack, then I can guarantee that they are carrying more weight than they need to. They say they travel lightweight and then end up with a 30 lb. bag.

Most people have no concept of the lengths to which a wilderness backpacker/hiker will go to reduce weight. The standing joke for years was the toothbrush with half the handle cut off and holes drilled in the remaining half. That's reducing weight! I don't expect every traveller to go to those extremes but if someone is taking hiking footwear on a trip, taking a pair that weighs a pound or two less won't hurt.

Pauline, I can't say what sizes they stock in Switzerland, my wife is a UK 6.5, so not a bigger size. Lowa UK shows the Renegade Low here: https://www.lowa.co.uk/ They show to size 9 UK in stock and for 9.5 or 10, I got a 'contact us' message. But it seems that if you really want to, there may be way from that to get them in the UK. Free delivery and 30 day return.

A comment on sizing. When trying on a pair of hiking shoes/boots, many people do not allow enough room in front of their toes. As a result, on long downhills when your foot moves forward in the footwear, you 'stub' your toe. Anyone who has ever done some serious hiking and found they lost a big toenail afterwards, has made that mistake. There should be a space between your toes and the front of your footwear that is equal to the width of your index and middle finger combined width.

Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina