• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Speaking of shoes... how many do you pack?

carolync

10+ Posts
I am really good at coming up with a capsule wardrobe, but my downfall is shoes.

This fall I will be in Florence for a month, and really struggling with shoes.
What I would like to take is:
1. Black leather high boots (super comfy, I've even done light hiking in these)
2. Brown suede booties (good for at least 1/2 day of walking-first day I wore them I walked 6 miles -not smart)
3. Taos Star sneakers (casual day)
4. Earthies Essen Flats (something a little dressier - new purchase, but I can tell already they will be a good walking shoe)
5. Toms (for one more casual day walking option)

The light packer in me is telling me to narrow it down to 3 pair, but the shoe lover is saying "It's a month - you'll want choices!"

How many pairs do you all normally take for a month long trip?

Thanks!

For 1 month, wear one pair, pack another.
For 1-2 weeks I try to get by with just a single pair.
The thinking is that shoes are one of the bulkiest items to pack, so any saving makes a real difference.

What would be the situations that you would have to change shoes?
I can very much understand the desire to have something classy and something comfortable. If the classy option could be ultra-lightweight, then even better (as they could get slung in a day pack for when you need them). A third pair might split the difference, covering those days where you might be walking a lot, but will be eating out somewhere nice and would feel happier in having something smarter than sneakers / walking shoes. That would also a little flexibility to suit mood / clothes for the day.

However I'm also going to suggest a cheat. Fly out with 3 pairs (or 2 if you could), but Italy remains very good for shoes, from bargain basement to designer level and everywhere inbetween. So travel light enough that if you see another pair or two you like, then there is space to fit them in on the journey back, and you get to add to your options during your stay.... and if you really go overboard on buying, then send a parcel back via Poste Italiene - I've sent many things home that were more delicate than shoes - all fine.

Regards
Ian

I usually try to stick to 3 pairs. For fall weather I like to bring a pair of comfortable black boots that are good for walking but also work with a skirt. For the second pair, I pick ones that I am comfortable walking in for a while day. Then the last pair is lightweight slips ons or flip flops to wear around in the hotel/apartment.

Shoes take up a lot of room. I'm in Europe for 3-1/2 months in hot and cool climates and involved in a variety of activities, and I have four pairs of shoes... three are black, since I wear mostly black pants or capris. My shoes are Merrill sandals, flat ballet slippers, and Mephisto walking shoes. I also have some hiking shoes, since we're doing some short hikes on this trip. The ballet-type slippers, I only wear in the evening if it's cooler; if it's warmer, my sandals are fine for evening.

You're in one place for a month. If you are not hauling your luggage around a lot, bring what you need. I never wear a skirt/dress and never dress up, but I still bring hiking shoes, walking shoes and Birkenstock sandals to wear in the house. And sometimes another pair of walking shoes. But no one ever accused me of packing light.

I usually take three pairs - one pair of sneakers (not white), one pair of chacos (sandals), and one pair of dressier shoes, usually sandals. This past trip, I wanted to try to travel a little lighter and took just my sneakers and a pair of chacos. There were two occasions where I wished I had nicer sandals but it worked out.

Ugh...I hate this question! I am always trying to pare back on shoes. I need at least two pair so I can keep my feet happy. We almost always travel in summer, so I'm talking walking sandals. Then it gets sketchy. It usually depends on our itinerary - this summer, 6 weeks in France mountains to coasts + Paris - I have 4 pair and a pair of "slippers/flipflops" so I guess that is 5. Have I worn them all? Yes. Enough to justify? Hmmmmm....not really.

Many times I've brought light hiking boots and not needed or just not used them, this year I wish I had brought those! I've never brought a pair of sneakers before this trip and I've only worn them twice. We've been at a few beaches this year (just day trips) so I'm really happy I brought my Keen water sandals - many will say they're ugly (!) but I can't log a long walk on the beach barefoot and I LOVE walking on the beach and going in the water.

I can't think of one trip ever that I was completely happy with my shoe selection! But Ian and PokeyMindy are right...just buy a few pairs as you need them!

Last edited:
I love this conversation. I know of a certain British blogger who lives in Montepulciano and writes about how she notices that American's seem to wear really ugly shoes. I no longer follow her blog, as she is simply too pretentious for me. I actually wanted to write and tell her that while traveling, we don't always have space in our luggage to carry shoes for every occasion. She even posted pictures of an American man vs an Italian, asking us to decide which one was American!!! Also, I have issues with my arches, and when walking a great deal, am forced to wear shoes, I would normally not wear. I take that pair for out all day walking, cute shoes for going out evenings, and a third for wearing around the apartment.

Since, we always stay near Montepulciano, I know there's someone living there who is watching for "we" American ugly shoe people.....LOL!!

Oh, no, Sharon! the pressure!
I also have arch issues and plantar fasciitis so my shoe choices have to serve that issue first. Earlier this summer my shoe choices were deemed "ugly" by a couple Sloweuropers, and for the first few days I thought about that and was checking feet to compare. As the weeks have worn on I've forgotten to keep track because my feet are so comfortable and I am happy with my choices. I don't care what others are wearing, though I do notice cute shoes (and might look into them once at home), so I really doubt that except for a handful-your blogger included- no one is really checking out mine either and if they are, they are, I guess.

In larger cities I always wish I could wear fancier shoes, but alas, not for me.

I am minimalist when it comes to packing. I travel only with a carry-on luggage plus a largish shoulder bag that I can stash my small purse into for boarding the plane, for trips of up to 3 weeks. My new carry-on weighs only 4.6 pounds. So I only take 2 pairs of shoes, both for walking. They are black, Skechers and Ann Klein. I bring two pairs for just in case one gets wet or for some reason becomes uncomfortable. I also carry a pair of portable slippers for wearing inside the apartment.

Why do I have to have some guilt (self-imposed) on wanting to take all the shoes? 3 pairs are my norm, wear one, pack 2.

Wearing my brand new Earthies around the house, I think I will scrap the Toms, which gets me down to 4 pair. I took 3 pairs on a trip to France and wore every pair. I like to have 2 pairs for day wear, it helps keep my feet happy if I rotate. I did forget about the black booties took on that trip, so those will be going to Florence instead of the brown ones.

Last time in Florence I took 2 pairs and was changing at lunch time - granted, one of my choices wasn't the absolute best.

I have no chance ever competing with the Italians in fashion, and I don't quite care if people find my shoes ugly - as long as I like them and my feet are comfy.

Once I get to packing, space may dictate. I'm only taking a 22" suitcase. :)

Packing space is definitely the key. My family is really good at packing light on trips where we have to fly. But, if we drive, we fill our car to the top :)

I am exactly the same way! Although with me, packing light isn't alway "light"; with packing cubes I can manage to pack a whole lot into a small suitcase. I was in San Francisco for 2.5 weeks in January and packed so much in a 19" carry-on I could barely lift it into the overhead bin.

So, that's the other issue for carry-ons on international flights... I always carry-on, but can take more, or heavier, shoes for trips where my luggage won't get weighed. But 3 pairs are necessary for me, for reasons others have cited: need to rotate, need something for around the apt., and I know from experience that I can't count on finding shoes on the trip for my size 10-11 feet. Sad, but true. But I can't ruin a trip with tired feet... so other things may have to be left behind.

Ack!
Same problem here.
After deciding to go on a trip, the first thing I obsess over is my shoe" allowance" .
Usually have it narrowed down in the end to a pair of walking sandals ; like Merrells or Tevas.
Then a pair of Skecher slipons , black, for evening and a change of scene (not dressing up for anything); and a pair of very lightweight runners or hikers for longer walking days.
I squeeze in a pair of rubber flipflops for around the apartment.
As I'm usually going to Italy, this is all fine.
(Hoping to be in Florence in September, Mindy....!)

If travelling in the summer, 2 pairs of sandals to be able to swap if there's any strap irritation. One pair are very thin Merrells that pack small, the other usually Naots. I typically usually wear my Hotter Envy shoes on the plane (and now see that they have discontinued them) and bring a pair of Merrell Bare Access Arc running shoes in black for the summer (also pack small but are comfortable if I have any issues with the other shoes and they are cool in the heat). If travelling on cooler weather typically one pair to wear, one packed.

2 pairs. One wallabies and one something dressy( sandals if it's aummer). I wear hospital socks in the house. And that's for 2 to 3 months.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina