• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Speaking of shoes... how many do you pack?

AARP magazine recently published packing tips from a female frequent traveler. She said take one pair of shoes. I strongly disagree. Maybe she just made brief business trips? Take care of your battered feet. Just think what your feet do every day, especially if you are on a trip. I take three pairs of shoes and they depend on the type of trip: one pair sturdy walking shoes, one pair sandals, and a comfy slip-on pair for the apt or hotel. All of them have supportive soles that protect my soles! I change from day to day which ones I wear. No high heels. Ok, Ok--yes, I'm 82! But my feet have always appreciated this strategy.

AARP magazine recently published packing tips from a female frequent traveler. She said take one pair of shoes. I strongly disagree. Maybe she just made brief business trips? Take care of your battered feet. Just think what your feet do every day, especially if you are on a trip. I take three pairs of shoes and they depend on the type of trip: one pair sturdy walking shoes, one pair sandals, and a comfy slip-on pair for the apt or hotel. All of them have supportive soles that protect my soles! I change from day to day which ones I wear. No high heels. Ok, Ok--yes, I'm 82! But my feet have always appreciated this strategy.

One pair? Maybe pack one pair and wear another. I like to keep my feet happy, so 2 pairs in minimum for me. (No high heels either, unless I would need them for a wedding or other special event)

I am a notoriously light packer since we always rent a place with a washer; but I do need comfortable shoes. In warm weather, usually one pair walking sandals, one pair walking flats, and one pair sneakers or hiking boots, depending on itinerary. Fall/Winter, one pair walking boots, one pair flats, 1 pair sneakers.

mmm shoes, boots, sneakers, sandals etc. Doesn't it all depend on: length of time away, season and activity. Several years ago when we went to Nice for 5 weeks, I posted my dilemma in ST. To take high boots or not. I took them and was happy I did. I also took several other pairs of shoes but the boots were my sticking point.

We don't often get a chance to wear fashionable boots here in the cold north. Usually we just clunk around 8 months of the year in goofy outdoor boots and then socks or slippers indoors. Well, some of us anyway. But in Europe! My goodness, they get to wear fashionable boots and shoes all year round and I'm envious. When I say fashionable, I mean my version. I have never in my life worn high heels so that's never an issue. But I do salivate over lovely high and short leather boots so if going to Europe in the fall try and pack a pair of either.

I used to pack hiking boots but now it's some form of trail runners. Sandals if it's going to be hot. So probably 3 pairs or maybe 4.I don't pack slippers or something to wear indoors. Sandals for that.

However, when we go to the UK this fall for 2 weeks I'm planning on only 2...a pair of low boots and trail shoes. Oh, but what will I wear indoors that's easy to slip on? I guess it's 3 again. either sandals or my falling apart flats.

mmm shoes, boots, sneakers, sandals etc. Doesn't it all depend on: length of time away, season and activity. Several years ago when we went to Nice for 5 weeks, I posted my dilemma in ST. To take high boots or not. I took them and was happy I did. I also took several other pairs of shoes but the boots were my sticking point.

We don't often get a chance to wear fashionable boots here in the cold north. Usually we just clunk around 8 months of the year in goofy outdoor boots and then socks or slippers indoors. Well, some of us anyway. But in Europe! My goodness, they get to wear fashionable boots and shoes all year round and I'm envious. When I say fashionable, I mean my version. I have never in my life worn high heels so that's never an issue. But I do salivate over lovely high and short leather boots so if going to Europe in the fall try and pack a pair of either.

Ha! Just when I decided I didn't need to take my high boots you post this. :) I work from home and don't have a lot of chance to be my version of fashionable either. I guess once I get my wardrobe sorted out I will see which shoes make the cut.

I try to keep it to two pairs total, but lately (due to summer weather and activities), I wore a pair (of course) and packed two. All must be comfortable enough to walk 3 miles (even my ballet flats), but one pair must be comfortable enough for my 8 miles per day average when in Paris and London.

In boot weather, I can get by with my short Aquatalia boots and nothing else for city-only travel.

Speaking of packing shoes -- I always cover mine to keep clothes clean. Those disposable blue shoe covers, like the ones put on to keep floors clean in a new house, work great. Also, those cheap shower caps at hotels work well for impromptu shoe covers.

I don't check a bag.

What I would like to take is:
1. Black leather high boots (super comfy, I've even done light hiking in these)
2. Brown suede booties (good for at least 1/2 day of walking-first day I wore them I walked 6 miles -not smart)
3. Taos Star sneakers (casual day)
4. Earthies Essen Flats (something a little dressier - new purchase, but I can tell already they will be a good walking shoe)
5. Toms (for one more casual day walking option)

Hmmmm, bringing 5, as in FIVE, pairs of shoes to Italy. Does the phrase, "Carrying coals to Newcastle" ring a bell! :D

Many years ago my wife actually packed a separate bag just with the shoes she was taking to Italy. I now have her down to a few pairs, plus a few she sneaks into my bag when I'm not looking.

Hmmmm, bringing 5, as in FIVE, pairs of shoes to Italy. Does the phrase, "Carrying coals to Newcastle" ring a bell! :D

Many years ago my wife actually packed a separate bag just with the shoes she was taking to Italy. I now have her down to a few pairs, plus a few she sneaks into my bag when I'm not looking.

That is hysterical! I've officially narrowed it down to 4 (included what I'm wearing) and one of them may be sacrificed and put to rest in Italy.

I have three pairs with me now for our hiking trip in Switzerland and I have used them all (plus slippers), and I wish I had brought one more lighter pair because it is warmer than I had planned for.

Edited to add: Steve has the same - 3 pairs plus slippers.

We've been walking or hiking every day. I am doing exercises, icing my foot, wearing shoes in the house, and it is starting to get better. It does not hurt much when hiking. I'll post on that thread I started about feet.

Do we have to count the pair we're wearing on the plane, ha! I, too, obsess over which shoes to bring. Wouldn't it be nice to have one pair that met all of our needs -- comfortable and sturdy enough for long days of walking (especially over cobblestones and up/down hills), nice enough to wear out to dinner, and light enough to not weigh down you or your luggage? I always bring a pair of sandals, some tennies and then one more with which I can pair a skirt. I like Clark's sandals for both comfort and fit, and they seem to be getting lighter as well. Recently bought a pair of Skechers tennis shoes that are very light and seem to work well for all day. I have been known to throw in an extra pair at the last minute, TBH.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina