• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Stone-stacking by tourists as a "natural" disturbance

joe

100+ Posts
Stone-stacking - or any other kind of seemingly "natural" physical signs that we leave in some place - have become a plague in what used to be relatively deserted locations. From the article in The Guardian :

"Our personal monuments turn empty landscapes into peopled places. When we reach a remote summit or deserted beach, we know people have stepped there before, but for a moment we can enjoy a place where humans do not predominate.
No longer. A forest of stacked stones destroys all sense of the wild."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...ment-adventure-tourism?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I see quite a bit of this in the desert, as rocks abound, and the temptation to leave a mark always exists.

Kathy

100+ Posts
We saw two guys stacking stones on a beach in St. Ives (Cornwall) this past spring. I don't know if their project was going to survive the high tide...

20180423_132830.jpg

In some areas of the UK, where signposts or markers for walkers aren't permitted on moors, there are stone cairns to mark the way. But this is for a purpose, not for "art" or social media. I realize now I have seen these artsy stacked stones in other places and never quite understood them.

Cameron

100+ Posts
My son grew up to be an archaeologist, but as a kid, he'd pick up a rock somewhere and want to bring it home. He soon had his "ah-ha" moment when he asked, "What if this rock is really part of a ruin and if I take it home, will it destroy the prospect of reconstruction?"

Pauline

Forums Admin
I’ve seen this twice on this trip. It is odd. In some ways I like it. Better than graffiti. The first time I saw this was at a huge dolmen in County Clare, Ireland, in 1992. The stone field beside the dolmen was filled with small replicas. There were hundreds of them. And recently on the Amalfi Coast, on the Path of the Gods trail, there is a spot with many piles of stones.

8094FAC5-76A1-415B-80FE-B03CB28A4D8C.jpeg

In Lenk, on the path up to Siebenbrunnen.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Latest posts

New resources