• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Canary Islands in January

Pauline

Forums Admin
I have wanted to go to the Canaries in winter but never got around to booking a trip, but this time I will do it! I turn 65 in January and this is my present to myself. I am looking at Tenerife because I have a hiking guide for that island and I’ve heard mostly good things.

I want warm weather, possibly ocean swimming weather but it doesn’t have to be that hot, sun and hiking possibilities. I don’t want a city or a beach lined with high rises. We will rent a vacation rental and do most of our own cooking. We will fly there from the UK and rent a car. We’ll stay 2 weeks.

On Tenerife, Playa de las Americas seems to be the big tourist town that I probably want to avoid??

Playa de la Arena sounds good from an article on Culture Trip.

I am looking at rentals on AirBnB and I will look for some local agencies.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Pauline

Forums Admin
I have booked this trip for 2 weeks end of January and into February. I looked at a lot of places and booked something near Garachico on the north western side. I know I will be taking a chance with the weather but after hours doing google street view I decided it was prettier on that part of the island. Not as built up. We will have views of the sea and the volcano. It should be a nice winter break.

Tim W

100+ Posts
I'm quite fond of Tenerife (the only island that I've visited for any length of time). We've visited several times over the years - and although I would choose to live in the North, our winter trips are nearly always to the south for the sun.

It is worth having a car, if only to explore the upper reaches of the Mt Teide national park (Although the climbs proved a little difficult for the Fiat 500 that we hired last time). The main roads are very good, and you could probably circumnavigate the island in less than 3 hours.

Santa Cruz, the capital, has some lovely old areas, a large market and a spectacular opera house
Loro Parque zoo, in Puerto de la Cruz ,although expensive and extremely "hard sell" is also worth a visit.
Although the is an element of "El Bingo, El Fish and Chips" to Playa de la Americas and Los Christianos, they also offer many different types of excursions. We have gone whale watching (mostly pilot whales and dolphins, but there are occasionally sightings of Humpbacks)- I've been tempted by quad bike excursions up into the national park and moutain biking where it is all down hill.

I can offer a recommendation - Le Penon in El Medano (quite near the airport in the south) is a Basque restaurant, and the food was superb - almost certainly in the top three meals I've ever eaten. I could go back tomorrow and just order the cheese board five times.

Alex1983

I have been to the Canary Islands twice, so some recommendations:

• Garajonay National Park - sheer beauty. Part of it is the ancient forest of Gomera.
  • San Cristóbal de La Laguna, a picturesque town with lovely food
  • Teide National Park. It includes Mount Teide and Pico Viejo, both active volcanos. There is also a restaurant where they use geothermal heat from a volcano to cook food – the world’s most natural barbeque!
  • Re accommodation, the best way to explore the Canary Islands is to rent a boat from a local or via a boat hire platform and set on an island-hopping trip. For us (family with 2 kids) it was up to 40% cheaper than a hotel room. Enjoy!

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

New resources