• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Three nights with easy access to Monte Cassino, Paestum and Pompeii

We were in transit from Lucca to Lecce and were in Caserta as a stopping point. We used a hotel that was close to the palace and it was not within immediate access to the city (or restaurants) -- City Hotel Caserta, rated as 4 star; definitely not. We did not have other sites in the city that we had marked off prior to going and did not see anything on our drive in and around -- the city seemed to be very similar to the palace -- a little past its prime. In going back and looking at some of my photos, I was reminded that the garden and fountains were worth a visit just to see them. We were at the palace in the late afternoon after a fairly long drive, so my memories of the visit might be slanted due to level of energy at the time.

We stayed a night at Lloyd's Baia Hotel just outside of Salerno and it was fine. A little large for my taste, but nice views of the bay and was good for a 1-night stop.

Pauline, Castel Gandolfo and the Alban Hills are wonderful (stayed in Grottaferrata years ago- a recommendation by a ST'er, the only person, way back then, who replied to my inquiry for the Alban Hills area), but that is certainly too close to FCO and too far away for a short drive to where you are staying in Basilicata.

Pauline...we stayed in Caserta overnight two years ago; however, it was when I was sick with a bronchial infection. We stayed at a pretty hotel close to the not particularly attractive center, the Villa Maria Cristina.

http://www.villamariacristina.eu/

We didn't get to the Royal Palace but did visit the large Roman amphitheater in the next town over--Santa Maria Capua Vetere. Very impressive....

capua-amphitheater.jpg

Traffic in the area is quite daunting.....

Last edited:
Wendy and Bob...

Sorry if this is too late....but I think Monte Cassino is best handled by visiting on your trip from Rome and then traveling on. I have always wanted to stay in the town of Cava dei Tirreni, just off the autostrada between Naples and Salerno. It is convenient to both Pompei and Paestum.

But it might make more sense to spend time in both Pompei and somewhere closer to Paestum....maybe on the beach where there are several hotels. That will reduce the necessity of backtracking to a central hotel....

The hotel @Jim Zurer recommended in Caserta looks great (much nicer than the one I had booked), but after "walking" around Caserta on Google Maps and reading some hotel reviews that mention how much traffic there is in town, I opted for a small hotel in Anagni - Le Stanze Del Duomo (found on Booking.com). @Valerie had recommended Anagni to me and it looks like a charming smaller town with some interesting things.

I hate to dither so much over a one-night stay, but I would like to stay some place nice, where we can spend a pleasant evening.

Last edited:
Pauline, Rob said the palace in Caserta was Marc Clark'S headquarters during WWII, just an fyi

Thank you Engred, yes, we will have a car. Always. I will take a look at Vietri Sur mar, later today, and I will go over your other very good information.
We have been out of Internet range since Fri. Night. (We have a second home, Rob's parents home left to Rob, that is on the Big Sur coast and it is what we call our "analog house" - no cell coverage, no internet. But we do have a landline and satellite TV.

I was wrong, though Marc Clark did use the palace as his staging place he did not live in the palace....as he was concerned with bombings

Wendy and Bob...

Sorry if this is too late....but I think Monte Cassino is best handled by visiting on your trip from Rome and then traveling on. I have always wanted to stay in the town of Cava dei Tirreni, just off the autostrada between Naples and Salerno. It is convenient to both Pompei and Paestum.

But it might make more sense to spend time in both Pompei and somewhere closer to Paestum....maybe on the beach where there are several hotels. That will reduce the necessity of backtracking to a central hotel....

Hi Jim, you are not too late, I am still struggling with these silly three nights. I thought I found a perfect spot, then looked at the 360* cam view and realized there was only a narrow street to park on, and that won't work for us. So, I think I am going to book Tenuta Torre Gaia in Dugenta. A bit of a drive for Paestum (1hr51min) , but not too objectionable for Pompeii (58 min).
I really want to stay in the countryside for these three nights, as the other thirty eight are w/in city/&walls.
We will start our day early enough so we can stop at MC on the drive south, or as suggested we could do a day trip out if Rome in May.
If you have any suggestions for hotels with easy access, easy parking and easy to get to Pompeii and Paestum...we are all ears/eyes

And that goes for anyone else. Help!

I was wrong, though Marc Clark did use the palace as his staging place he did not live in the palace....as he was concerned with bombings

It is an interesting footnote that Paestum was in the area of the allied landings, but a snafu caused the planned naval bombardment not to take place, saving the historic site from destruction. If you enjoy WW II history, the failures of Clark to close off the northward movement of the German armies due to his obsession with the capture of Rome makes for interesting study.

It is an interesting footnote that Paestum was in the area of the allied landings, but a snafu caused the planned naval bombardment not to take place, saving the historic site from destruction. If you enjoy WW II history, the failures of Clark to close off the northward movement of the German armies due to his obsession with the capture of Rome makes for interesting study.
Yes, it does, and has for Rob through the years.

@Pauline - that's the inn in Anagni that my clients had liked so much! :) It looks nice. We've eaten in their restaurant but haven't stayed at the inn, though one of these times we will. I like Anagni, cute town. I agree, even if it's just one night I want a nice place to stay. Otherwise it feels...I dunno, wasted. And I don't sleep.

Ok, I had a lightbulb moment last night....
We need to stay in Paestum!!! Looking at drive times -
FCO to wherever we stay doesn't matter

Where I was looking:
Dugenta to Pompeii 58min/to Paestum 1hr51 min
Vietri to Pompeii 45min/Paestum 1hr18min
Cava de Tirreni to Pompeii 25min/Paestum 59min (good suggestion JimZ)

But!
Paestum to Pompeii 1hr2min/Paestum -we are already there

FCO to Montecassino 1hr 42min, so if we get out early enough on the 22nd of April we can go to MC on our way south.
MC to Paestum 2hr 14min

Paestum to Matera 2hr 27min

So, does anyone have a recommendation for an upscale place to stay for three nights in or near Paestum? Valerie or JimZ, any suggestions? Anybody else?

Thank you,
Wendy - the person pulling her hair in frustration

One of my Italian travel colleagues uses the Agriturismo Seliano regularly...

http://www.agriturismoseliano.it/

There seems to be a new "boutique" hotel in the area....the Tenuta Duca Marigliano...which looks pretty spiffy.

http://www.tenutaducamarigliano.it/

If you look at a Google Map with "nearby hotels", a number of modern beachfront hotels appear.

Paestum Hotels on the beach

I am not familiar with any of them...
Thank you Jim, I will check these all out

Valerie, you wrote ".....specially near the beach, because they've become very popular wedding venues. Paestum has become a destination for big-deal all-night..."
YES! I have absolutely noticed the common thread to the current theme for a lot of hotels - Weddings. Whether the hotel is new and 'White Out' decor or old world. It is an issue where we live, but it is not what we are wanting. (The place we were considering in Dugenta advertised Weddings, hence it's distance and propensity -for-weddings have made us reconsider)
Thank you for your link, I will go there now, I just wanted to say all that before I forgot. ;-)

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina