• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

United Kingdom - TV SHOWS & MOVIES

Yes - but I wasn't writing very clearly! Charlotte Rampling is in the new series of Broadchurch, so definitely worth watching, even though I agree with your & Panda's reservations.

Haven't seen anyone mention The Game which just showed on BBC AMERICA. MI-5 in the 1970s...starring Brian Cox. Very engrossing...

RE: the BBC player.....my understanding is that it can't be accessed without having paid the TV license fee in the UK. Is there a way around this?

An article in the NY Times says about Broadchurch, " ... the producers have begun to talk a little about the show’s top-secret Season 2 story line, and fans may not like what they hear: Chris Chibnall, the creator and writer, told a British magazine, “It’s not another crime case.”

We just started watching Season 1 on Netflix, so please don't include any spoilers in comments here!

We just started watching Season 1 on Netflix, so please don't include any spoilers in comments here!

We won't!

Right where the body was found (1st episode) is where I have been swimming twice :) It is West Bay, a tacky seaside town just a mile or two from Bridport (where we stayed), which is a nice town. That part of the Dorset coast is beautiful. I have two day trips for that area - Chesil Beach and Jurrasic Coast.

Photo of the beach (which I think I have posted before):

full

BBC's Mapp and Lucia (3 episodes) is great! The series stars Miranda Richardson and Anna Chancellor and is a "1930s comedy drama based on EF Benson's novels, about the rivalry between two women in a quaint village." It makes fun of village life, is well acted and very, very funny.

The series starts with Lucia renting a lovely house in a village for the summer. She rents Mapp's house. Mapp then moves down in status and rents another house in the village, that person moves down and so on until a large family move from a fishermen's house by the sea to a shack out in a field. There is village gossip, a summer fete, etc.

I think that I read these novels about 10 years ago - sent to me by DavidR from SlowTrav. I will email him to see if I am right.

Has anyone watched Father Brown? It's a detective series featuring a priest, filmed mostly in the Cotswolds, including at our friends' farm near Moreton... based on stories by GK Chesterton. I'm looking for a new British series to watch...

There have been 3 episodes of Father Brown on BBC One. I have not heard of it. It looks like they are not on iPlayer, but I will see if they are on Amazon or Netflix.

That Cotswold Mystery Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death that sounded so bad is actually okay. I have been watching it and it is corny, but is aware of its corniness and makes good fun of village life. Agatha is the hot-shot London business woman who sells her business and moves to the Cotswolds. Everyone is in old Jumpers and wellies, while she wears high heels and dresses. Not top quality TV, but fun!

It is filmed on the southern outskirts of the Cotswolds, in Biddestone, Wiltshire, near Castle Combe.

Last edited:
RE: the BBC player.....my understanding is that it can't be accessed without having paid the TV license fee in the UK. Is there a way around this?

I was hoping @jonathan would answer this, but I will jump in. Everyone in the UK who has a TV set or watches TV online has to pay for a TV licence . The cost is £145.50 per year. For watching TV online, you only need a licence if you are watching it online as it is being broadcast. And you are never asked to enter information about your licence when watching online.

From the TV Licence website: "You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder. It costs £145.50 for colour and £49.00 for a black and white TV Licence."

>> "If you use the BBC iPlayer to watch BBC programmes after they have been broadcast either to download or via streaming on demand then you will not need a TV Licence." - - so legally you don't need a license to watch iPlayer.

As a side note, why is it "licence" in British and "license" in the US? Argh!

Haven't seen anyone mention The Game which just showed on BBC AMERICA. MI-5 in the 1970s...starring Brian Cox. Very engrossing...

I heard about this series made by BBC Wales but I don't think it has shown here.
The Game on BBC America - this says it is on BBC America.
The BBC website has an article about it on BBC America.

From Wikipedia - The Game is a British Cold War spy thriller television series that takes place in London in 1972. It was first broadcast on BBC America in 2014. The six-part series was created by Toby Whithouse, and written by Toby Whithouse, Sarah Dollard and Debbie O'Malley.

Maybe it has shown in the US before England? It sounds good!

The trouble with searching for info about this show in sports-crazy England is the name of the show - The Game.

While I have been wandering around the BBC site this afternoon, I came upon this show:

BBC Two - Escape to the Continent
Brits moving to sunnier places in Europe.

Only a couple of episodes are available on iPlayer and the Croatia show is coming up soon.

Thanks for the information about the BBC and the licence issue....I was able to access the iPlayer and now am looking forward to seeing the new season of "Last Tango in Halifax."

We are zipping our way through Season 3 of "Scott and Bailey" on Hulu.....a pleasure. Will have to seek Season 4 shows that were broadcast last fall.

Oh my! This is going to be good, isn't it? I don't know when it starts here, but I can't wait.

This article talks about episode 1 of season 2 of Broadchurch and what season 2 will be about.

SPOILER ALERT!!

@Roz - don't read this! It mentions the conclusion of season 1.
Thanks, Pauline. We did just finish watching Season 1 the other night, so no worries about spoilers. I had wondered how they would get the two main characters back in the story, when the last episode pretty much said they'd both be leaving the town of Broadchurch. It does sound like an interesting twist.

Just binged our way through the final seasons of Scott & Bailey.....a great ride. Vivid characters, appealing actors, strong writing and pretty tough mysteries--if Season 4 is the final season, we will miss this show but were well satisfied by the resolution of the various subplots and personal relationships.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843678/

Somehow, over the years, I'd missed Foyle's War, so I'm happily working my way through all the old seasons, and stockpiling the new season on my DVR. Michael Kitchen is a marvel.

Thanks for the information about the BBC and the licence issue....I was able to access the iPlayer and now am looking forward to seeing the new season of "Last Tango in Halifax."

We were able to watch Episode 1 of the new season of Last Tango in Halifax...but I am having difficulty using the download function of the iplayer. Anyone able to use it without a problem? I suspect it may have something to do with the IP address masking.

It downloads for me. I had to install the iPlayer software. At what point were you stopped? If you are running the VPN, it should think you are in the UK.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina