• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Le Marche Urbino and Northern Le Marche

Have you heard about Urbino or Le Marche but you are not sure that there will be enough to keep you happy for a whole holiday? Are you looking for an unspoilt part of Italy, but you want to be sure to have enough beautiful things to see and do during your holidays?

Urbino Le Marche Italy 16 9.jpg

Most people think of Urbino just as a good destination for a daytrip from their Umbria or Tuscany holiday rental or b&b, but Urbino (and Northern Le Marche) is much more than that!

Northern Le Marche, the area around Urbino, is the perfect holiday destination. It features amazing art, Medieval and Renaissance architecture, hidden churches and monasteries, gorgeous unspoilt and clean countryside, beautiful landscapes, stunning hilltop-towns, artisans that use traditional techniques, interesting archaeological sites, natural parks, breathtaking coastal areas and much more.

Here are some of my favourite things to do in the Urbino area in Northern Le Marche.

- Discover the Urbino oratories (private places of worship belonging to old confraternities) and admire the Salimbeni frescoes in the Oratorio di San Giovanni.

Salimbeni Saint John's oratory Urbino.jpg

- Buy unusual "aubergine" colour terracotta in Fratterosa
- Forage with us at Valle Nuova to discover the seasonal wild herbs, berries, fruits, fungi and flowers just like the locals do
- Enjoy Opera at its best at the Rossini Opera Festival
- Go discover one of the biggest underground "rooms" in Europe at the amazing Frasassi caves

Frasassi 16 9.jpg

- Silently sit somewhere in the countryside and hope to see some of the wild animals that populate our hills
- Taste the artisan beers produced in Apecchio, Città della Birra
- Visit a huge everyday-use-pottery collection at Urbania Ducal Palace and the beautiful little town itself and meet majolica artisans in Urbania, ancient Castel Durante
- On your way to Mondavio, stop at some of the nicest and most unknown hilltop-towns in the area: Sorbolongo, Orciano and Barchi

Sorbolongo Marche hilltop towns .jpg

- Discover little treasures at one of the Antique Markets that take place almost every Sunday in the area
- Attend a concert or other production in one of the local squares, in a park or in one of the many XIX century theatres
- Admire the rough beauty of the Furlo Gorge, the green waters and the Roman tunnel
- Take a walk to become acquainted with the area and enjoy the beautiful landscapes

8 landscape Marche countryside accommodation.jpg

- Climb up to some (or all) of the nine Medieval Castelli di Arcevia
- Enjoy the tiny Romanesque church of San Vincenzo al Furlo
- Get acquainted with the past and present of papermaking in Fabriano (and visit the unusual "Trades on bike museum")

Fabriano paper museum.jpg

- Listen to Pasquale Rotondi's story, a real "monument man" and visit the tortoise shaped Rocca di Sassocorvaro, one of the hideaways that he chose for the art treasures that he saved during ww2
- Sample a cheese that has been sealed in a turf cave for months without any oxygen: Pecorino di Fossa (possibly organic by our friend Luca)
- Walk up Monte Catria and admire the Marchigiana cows and Catria horses roaming free

Things-to-do-nature-Catria-horses-Marche-Italy.jpg

- Let Early Music take you back to the Urbino Renaissance at the Urbino Early music festival
- Take a food and wine tour with our friend Marco to discover the amazing doc and docg wines of Le Marche (and a lot more!)
- Breath peace and culture at Fonte Avellana Monastery

Fonte Avellana Monastery Marche Italy.jpg

- Find out the relationship between Paolo Uccello "Profanazione dell'ostia" and the oldest existing Torah Ark in the world
- Let white truffle "perfume" make you salivate at Acqualagna Truffle Festival
- Admire the colour of the Urbino bricks at sunset. And of course visit the amazing Ducal Palace, the first Palace in European history built as a place to live (a Palace) and not a place to shelter (a Castle)
- Understand why Pergola municipality claimed the Bronzi Dorati (Gilded bronze Roman statues) back from Ancona archeological museum

Glided Bronzes Pergola Horses Le Marche Italy.jpg

- See that the Adriatic sea is not all parasols and deckchairs at Monte San Bartolo Regional Park or Monte Conero Cliffs
- Stroll around Parco del Cardeto in Ancona perched on a cliff high on the sea, including the Campo degli Ebrei, Jewish graveyard from 1428 to 1863
- Admire some beautifully preserved Roman mosaics at Domus del Mito Roman domus in Sant'Angelo in Vado
- Take a glimpse of San Marino Republic while driving to the stunning San Leo

San Leo 16 9.jpg

These are just "a few" examples of things to see and do when visiting Northern Le Marche. I'll be glad to suggest more!

Yes, Giulia, we enjoyed this and more back in 2008? when staying in northern Le Marche. Including a visit with you! So much more that your didn't mention, the winter truffle festival (which coincided with a motorcycle rally, that was a treat!) and the lovely time at beautiful Senigallia on the coast. To name only a few.

Another great trip with wonderful memories, the odd yet very memorable combination of truffles and Harley's … and a contest with people trying to mimic the sound of a revving motorcycle engine.

Was it Urbania where we had lunch?

Another great trip with wonderful memories, the odd yet very memorable combination of truffles and Harley's … and a contest with people trying to mimic the sound of a revving motorcycle engine.

Was it Urbania where we had lunch?
Lunch....

The panino al fresco ;-)... I think you mean Acqualagna, the town holding the truffle festival.
But @Giulia we did spend some time another day with you in Urbania. And that was a lovely lunch.

Of course! Sant'Angelo in Vado. Trattosteria in Fermignano; lovely lovely lunch. I remember a really good local wine. Rosso di Piceno?

This is getting to be like the scene in the movie "Gigi" where Hermione Gingold and Maurice Chevalier try to remember their love affair way back when..... ;-)

Of course! Sant'Angelo in Vado. Trattosteria in Fermignano; lovely lovely lunch. I remember a really good local wine. Rosso di Piceno?

This is getting to be like the scene in the movie "Gigi" where Hermione Gingold and Maurice Chevalier try to remember their love affair way back when..... ;-)
:D:D:D

...I'm sorry I don't remember the wine... surely a mix of Sangiovese and Montepulciano, but I don't remember if it was Sangiovese dei Colli Pesaresi, Rosso Conero or Rosso Piceno.

Sorry, Giulia. I didn’t mean to put you on the spot. It was the basic red of the region, which I sought out for a while after that. C

@Italophile - you cracked me up! Rosso Piceno and Rosso Concero are both blends sangiovese and Montepulciano d'Abruzzo blends. Up that way though you might have had Lacrima di Moro d'Alba?

We had a really lovely lunch in Urbania at a restaurant that I can't remember the name either ;)

Giulia - Boh! Maybe it was Doddo. We sat outside on the street. It was very good, with great company ;) But don't worry about racking your brain to remember it, we'll just wander until we find it again on our next visit!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina