• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

What camera do you use for travel?

Susan,

Excellent review! Thank you so much for your insight, lessons learned, and taking the time to document. The visuals should truly help those trying to decided if a phone is all they need to travel. Sure wish you had a Canon 5D Mark III with you to add to the mix :) Shoot I wish I had a Canon 5D Mark III. Once again thank you for a great job!

Thanks, Colo! I don't have all the correct photography lingo down, but my understanding of everything has improved over the years. The Canon 5D Mark III is a great camera, but it was never an option for me. Too heavy!! I would never take it anywhere unless driving and jumping out for a photo.

Tim W, your new Panasonic TZ100 camera sounds wonderful! I definitely miss the viewfinder with my new camera.

Roz, I never got the chance to reply back about your new cool purple camera! I am tempted to get one also for those times when I want a teeny tiny camera with a good zoom although right now my collection of cameras is too large already! My older Elph camera takes great videos, so I am sure your new Elph with that great zoom capability would take wonderful videos! And of course, PURPLE! Say no more!

Susan, thanks for those comparison shots. Great demonstration of how a "real" camera definitely makes a difference. You can especially see it on those close-up shots of the swan. The iPhone not only doesn't zoom; it doesn't do great closeups, at least in my experience. The camera also does much better in low light.

You know, I haven't even tried the video yet on the Elph. I rarely shoot video, but I should experiment with it just to make sure I know how to use it if I want to. I do love my purple camera!

:angelic: Ahh.......... the color of grapes

I average about 800 pics for a 14 day trip. Over the years I've used a Canon Elph and similar sized digital cameras. I can't imagine lugging around my Canon 70D dslr and assorted lenses as we hike....walk.....and hike some more everywhere we go. Recently I have been taking a rather expensive made for travel Panasonic Lumix ZS100. It shoots RAW files which I enjoy manipulating in Adobe Lightroom.... and shoots great video. It has a 25-250 mm telephoto Leica lens and an ISO range up to 12800 for shooting in low light. Fits in my jacket pocket....or even pants pocket.

20170621_204254.jpg

20170621_204328.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's identical to mine. For some reason the TZ (TravelZoom) series becomes the ZS series for the US (or possibly all of North America)

I agree entirely with your post , the Panasonic is expensive (I could have bought a Canon 750 DSLR for a similar price), but it is virtually perfect for a holiday camera in that I can carry it everywhere without it being a burden.

I got myself a new camera. The Canon Powershot G9X that @susan recommend. I’ve had Canon cameras for years so wanted to stay with Canon.

02261A1C-39B1-451D-A86C-21DF721108B1.jpeg

It is a nice size. I am tired of taking photos with my iPhone (too fiddly, they change how things work like defaulting to Live Photo) and happy to use a camera again. I have it setup to transfer photos to my iPhone and iPad.

My first photo.

573F96C6-C347-4B4D-9540-AF341B8FC457.jpeg

Pauline,

Looks good - great first shot.
I have been looking at replacing my G15
But what I really want is a new G15 or G16
But I have not been able to locate one.

Is your G16 for sale? :dork:

I got myself a new camera. The Canon Powershot G9X that @susan recommend. I’ve had Canon cameras for years so wanted to stay with Canon.

It is a nice size. I am tired of taking photos with my iPhone (too fiddly, they change how things work like defaulting to Live Photo) and happy to use a camera again. I have it setup to transfer photos to my iPhone and iPad.

When I transferred photos from my G9X to my phone, even though I shot in raw format, only jpg copies of the photos transferred. I couldn't figure out how to transfer the raw photos. Are you shooting in raw and are you getting raw format transfers? Just curious.

I love the color choice you made. I don't know what I was thinking when I ordered black. I love my new camera but wish I ordered the silver version.

Can you even edit raw files on a phone?? I never take/edit photos with my phone, so I don't know.

There are apps that allow raw editing. I didn't bring my laptop on my last trip and wanted to back up some of the photos I took on my phone, editing them later on when I returned home but then could not figure out a way to transfer the raw formatted photos. Instead when transferring them, they would transfer as jpgs.

Thanks for the links, Roz! Good options to tryout for editing photos in raw format. My camera has a wireless option to transfer photos from my camera to my phone. I do not have a SD card adapter and would prefer not to have to purchase one since my camera can do the transfer without it, but it seems that the raw format does not transfer OR I am doing something wrong. I will worry about it again before my next trip. I really appreciate the links though and it may turn out that I will have to purchase the SD card adapter if i travel again without bringing my laptop.

Susan, I'd suggest that you try one of those free apps and see if the raw data does actually transfer wirelessly. I have no personal experience, but what I've read sounds as though you will only see the jpg in the iPhone Photos app. But maybe if you opened the file in one of those other apps you would see that the raw data is there.

Just to bitch a little:
I have not brought a comaera on any trip for years and have been just satisfied with my snap shots on my iPhone.
Along comes this this thread to give me a bad case of camera envy! Boooo!
To paraphrase Deborah "old camera/new trip" or something like that. :)

Last edited:
I think a lot of folks switched to camera only not only because of space and weight, but most shots were just being uploaded to social media sites or travel boards like Slow Europe. And a phone can take the picture and easily get the shot into that world for the public to see. However, today many cameras can transfer to a phone on the fly, so why not get a better source file than your camera phone can offer you. I think Pauline has made a wise decision on her choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, today many cameras can transfer to a phone on the fly, so why not get a better source file than your camera can offer you.

Did you perhaps mean : "...than your phone can offer you." ?

If so, I agree with your observation : if people are uploading photos more than ever, it's natural that they want to show photos of high quality (or at least that don't look "cheap"). This has made some people get interested in cameras, who perhaps wouldn't have.
The added ability to transfer files directly to a smartphone has encouraged this.

I'd add to the thread my recommendation of the camera I use : Ricoh GR. Compact, large sensor (= high quality photos) and unobtrusive.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina