• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Wordle

Pauline

Forums Admin
Nothing to do with travel! Anyone else doing Wordle?

I’ve become addicted to it. It is like the old Mastermind game. You have six tries to figure out a five letter word and can only use five letter words to guess. Each try tells you if you have a letter in the right place (green), or a letter but not in the right place (yellow) or a letter not in the word. You can set hard mode so that you have to use information determined in previous words for each new guess (I use this).

You can play once a day. The whole world plays the same word. Some people post their results on Twitter in a way that does not show the answer.

Steve and I have been working it together because I just can’t close in on that final word. He spent years doing the Jumble so is well prepared for this, but he does think Wordle is more guessing than skill. I am getting better at it.

The guy who created the game, Josh Wardle, is from Wales but now lives in the US. He just sold it to the NY Times who say they will keep it free.

Here is a screenshot of an old one.

69C40082-F47A-4BA9-9354-470A72F0330B.jpeg

Well, after hearing so much about this and putting off trying it, your post made me take a look. And....beginner's luck! I guessed today's word on my third attempt.
But no, I'm not the type to get attached to these things. I might take a look again next time I'm on a train ride....

Likewise I've not got involved with it.

If looking for a very sociable (physical, not online) word game for c.4-7 players, I'd recommend a co-operative one called 'Just One'. A lovely simple concept: You have to guess a word, with your fellow players each giving a one word clue to lead you to it, with a catch that if 2 or more offer the same clue word, you don't get to see that one.

e.g. they might offer
Roasted
drink
Caffeine

(to which you'd hopefully guess coffee)

Occasionally this can end up with a single word, which isn't always as impossible as it sounds e.g. the brilliant clue I saw once 'DISCWORLD'.
Death, the capitals being a perfect clue as that character in the books was always written speaking in CAPITALS

Wordle Nerdles now at our house....... :happy:

Did you know that you can search for Wordle Archives, and do all the old puzzles back to the beginning?

I'm hooked! Hoping the NY Times keeps is free. I've read free for now so we'll see how long that lasts.

There also are Wordles in many other languages. I've started playing the Italian "Parole" version as well and am surprisingly on a streak, solving all 11 games I've played so far.

I'm doing Wordle daily, but I"m not posting my result on Facebook. (Some people are posting every day.) I'm very addicted to Spelling Bee, a much-more challenging word game behind the New York Times subscriber firewall. My daughter (living in Paris) and I share a NYTimes subscription and we work together on Spelling Bee through the day... trying to hit the "Genius" level every day. We don't discuss what we're doing, but it is fun to know we're working together on the same challenge.

Keeping our minds active... it's all good!

Kathy

I discovered this recently and it is fun. So far I have been successful. Now I will look for the archives. I am not on any social media so do not share. Cannot interest my husband though.

Thanks for the explanation, I’ve seen it around but have yet to give it a shot. Currently a words with friends person, can be quite the addiction!

I'm doing Wordle daily, but I"m not posting my result on Facebook. (Some people are posting every day.) I'm very addicted to Spelling Bee, a much-more challenging word game behind the New York Times subscriber firewall. My daughter (living in Paris) and I share a NYTimes subscription and we work together on Spelling Bee through the day... trying to hit the "Genius" level every day. We don't discuss what we're doing, but it is fun to know we're working together on the same challenge.

Keeping our minds active... it's all good!

Kathy
I am not a big game person but I do look at Spelling Bee everyday just to see if I can suss out the pangram. If it doesn't jump out at me within 30 seconds, I look up the answer on nytbee.com. I would say I get the pangram about half the time.

Love Wordle. I love words but had not previously played any word games, other than occasional Scrabble game. I also started doing the NYT spelling bee, but don't want to pay additional $$ above regular subscription for games (or food section). I am only allowed so many words on the spelling bee without game subscription.

Nothing to do with travel! Anyone else doing Wordle?

I’ve become addicted to it. It is like the old Mastermind game. You have six tries to figure out a five letter word and can only use five letter words to guess. Each try tells you if you have a letter in the right place (green), or a letter but not in the right place (yellow) or a letter not in the word. You can set hard mode so that you have to use information determined in previous words for each new guess (I use this).

You can play once a day. The whole world plays the same word. Some people post their results on Twitter in a way that does not show the answer.

Steve and I have been working it together because I just can’t close in on that final word. He spent years doing the Jumble so is well prepared for this, but he does think Wordle is more guessing than skill. I am getting better at it.

The guy who created the game, Josh Wardle, is from Wales but now lives in the US. He just sold it to the NY Times who say they will keep it free.

Wordle

Here is a screenshot of an old one.

View attachment 35053
I started playing it on Friday. I now eagerly await the new word everyday. All three days I have been able to solve the word in three moves. I have to admit that this latest one had me staring at the screen for about ten minutes. The first two were pretty simple. I guess that’s how they get you! Haha.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina