• Click CONTACT US in the footer if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Would you get one of the first vaccines if it meant you could travel internationally?

Would you get one of the early covid vaccines if required to travel internationally in 2021?

• Yes, can't wait to travel again

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, will wait at least 6 months after approvals to see if long-term effects emerge

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Maybe, by around middle of 2021, we will see what the state of travel and the pandemic is first.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Pauline

Forums Admin
What is a bit difficult for me - and probably for many others - to digest, is the seeming dissonance between the media/stories, and what you know from close experience.
I agree. In our area, Bridport, I was told there have been 4 deaths in total. It is hard to understand the numbers.

We did our September trip to Switzerland and were more cautious than usual but had a really great trip. We are thinking about a few weeks in the Canaries this winter. The UK may be entering a 2nd lockdown so we will see what the restrictions are.

Tina

10+ Posts
What is a bit difficult for me - and probably for many others - to digest, is the seeming dissonance between the media/stories, and what you know from close experience
Yes, probably how wary each of us feel individually depends on how close we have come personally to Covid-19. I have a friend who died of it, not a close friend and yes he was 72 but fit and healthy, a strong mountain hiker, the father of a friend about the same age who also died perhaps because in his case he fell ill at the height of the pandemic and wasn't able to get treated, another acquaintance ended up in intensive care and survived, another friend and her husband both got it, he got to hospital but was dismissed because they needed beds (he's a GP), both survived but were ill for weeks and weeks, (the son in his twenties also got it and was ill on and off for weeks), my husband's cousin the same, all these people in their fifties and fit and healthy (like me?). Two colleagues, one infected her husband and elderly mother and all three ended up in hospital but survived. One of my close friends is a nurse and was sent to the Covid-19 department at the height of the emergency, and told me what it was like because she needed to share it with someone, .....it all adds up and it conditions your perceptions, I think you can't be too careful, many people who do get it seem to take weeks or even months to recover.....

joe

500+ Posts
Yes, probably how wary each of us feel individually depends on how close we have come personally to Covid-19. .....it all adds up and it conditions your perceptions,

Very true.
And I'm sorry to hear that your personal experience of the spread of the virus has been so sad.

What also complicates matters a bit - at least in countries like mine, where trust in the gov't is at all-time lows - is that more and more health experts and hospital directors are openly saying that while the first total lockdown was justified (at the time, there was no experience with this virus), the new lockdown measures being taken are too extreme, numbers are being exaggerated, and that the health system is now able to cope better with new waves and outbreaks. In other words, the situation is two or three times worse than what is usually experienced in a season of bad flu, but not ten times worse, as we are led to believe. This is important, because basically they are saying : we see the huge damage being done by these lockdowns. Trust us, and make the restrictions more logical and efficient, there is no need for such great damage.

While these opinions might cause the less-wary to become even more careless, they still could be used to fine-tune the restrictions being imposed, in order that a more optimal routine for society come into play in this "new normal".
IAC, as always, one had better count mainly on oneself, and when it comes to travel - do it very carefully and plan accordingly.

Pauline

Forums Admin
What also complicates matters a bit - at least in countries like mine, where trust in the gov't is at all-time lows - is that more and more health experts and hospital directors are openly saying that while the first total lockdown was justified (at the time, there was no experience with this virus), the new lockdown measures being taken are too extreme,
Same here in the UK. Lack of trust in the government, constant changing of restrictions. They are talking about a countrywide lockdown even though some scientists say it won’t help. Much of the country is under regional lockdown.

@Tina your list of friends who suffered from Covid really brings home what this virus can do.

Personally we are being very careful almost living as if we are in lockdown.

NoSpin

100+ Posts
Interesting to read the first hand experiences of you all living in other countries. Fortunately no one we know have contracted the virus, but it is running rampant here. Outside of Sweden, no European or other 1st world country has bungled this pandemic more than the US.

Our president is in complete denial, but that will be corrected on election day.

Sharon J

100+ Posts
Interesting to read the first hand experiences of you all living in other countries. Fortunately no one we know have contracted the virus, but it is running rampant here. Outside of Sweden, no European or other 1st world country has bungled this pandemic more than the US.

Our president is in complete denial, but that will be corrected on election day.
I'm out of here!!!

Pauline

Forums Admin
Traditionally we’ve asked for no politics on this forum, but with this topic it is hard to ignore politics. We’ve already condemned the Israel and UK government responses in the thread, so I can understand condemning the US government response since it has been so visible worldwide.

joe

500+ Posts
Criticizing gov't administrative responses to the pandemic should be OK, but the sentence "but that will be corrected on election day" should have stayed an unwritten contemplation.... ;)

TayCles

NOPE on unknown MEDICINE ( Chemicals)
I'd rather get infected to be honest and let my body do its job.

Its like OS update.
You just don't download or upgrade it right away.
Wait it out! 99% there's a bug LOL

NoSpin

100+ Posts
Criticizing gov't administrative responses to the pandemic should be OK, but the sentence "but that will be corrected on election day" should have stayed an unwritten contemplation.... ;)
I agree and I sincerely apologize to the entire forum. I'll shut up about it.

Meanwhile, on Monday South Africa pared their banned list from 60 countries down to 22. The US is still on that list. Our paid trip originally scheduled for last April is still in limbo.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

New resources