• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Would you get one of the first vaccines if it meant you could travel internationally?

Would you get one of the early covid vaccines if required to travel internationally in 2021?

• Yes, can't wait to travel again

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • No, will wait at least 6 months after approvals to see if long-term effects emerge

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Maybe, by around middle of 2021, we will see what the state of travel and the pandemic is first.

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
To possibly complicate matters a bit more, studies are now underway to try and determine if the coronavirus variant identified in South Africa may not be as vulnerable to COVID-19 vaccines as other strains.
Preliminary findings by Pfizer show that its vaccine is effective against this variant, yet to be peer-reviewed :

Update: received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. I work for a hospital/health system in Western Mass, and though my position is not clinical, (a) any of us could potentially be deployed to help out in the event of a COVID surge here and (b) we received enough of an allocation, and had enough of a decline rate (20%), that it could be offered to the rest of the employees, so I'm doing my part to further the goal of her immunity.

Doesn't change our travel plans at all yet, as hubby will still need to be vaccinated and we'll be dependent on the protocols in place at any of the places we want to travel (the list is long!), but it sure makes us feel hopeful.

In today's news there was a report that most of the Auburn, Massachusetts Police Department opted not to receive the vaccine. I think they are nuts, but it is fine with me, anything that will bump me up further in the line. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: SMJ
Update: received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. I work for a hospital/health system in Western Mass, and though my position is not clinical, (a) any of us could potentially be deployed to help out in the event of a COVID surge here and (b) we received enough of an allocation, and had enough of a decline rate (20%), that it could be offered to the rest of the employees, so I'm doing my part to further the goal of her immunity.

Doesn't change our travel plans at all yet, as hubby will still need to be vaccinated and we'll be dependent on the protocols in place at any of the places we want to travel (the list is long!), but it sure makes us feel hopeful.
Our hospital also offers the vaccine to everyone. However, high risk employees got it first followed by medium risk (me) then those who are considered low risk (mostly office employees such HR, IT, etc.)

We started off with Pfizer and now switched to Moderna. The second doses of both vaccines have already been allocated.

Our local Illinois combination grocery store|pharmacy (Jewel-Osco) is now sending out emails that Covid vaccinations will be available soon.

Illinois is currently vaccinating their 1A group (highest risk group). They are "hoping" to have the 1A group done in a couple of weeks, Then the 1B group starts which are people 65 and older. Since I'm in group 1B I'm "hoping" to get a vaccination before the end of January.

I'm 1b and have an appointment for 2/5. My wife is 1c, so waiting to see if she gets bumped up with today's CDC recommendation to put 65 and over up a notch. Hoping that there is some movement towards opening up international travel to those with vaccinations -- tired of sitting at home ;-)

Got my 2nd shot today but wife is going to have to wait a good while, which makes travel planning complicated. Of course it wouldn’t be kosher for me to travel without her,
right?

Got my 2nd shot today but wife is going to have to wait a good while, which makes travel planning complicated. Of course it wouldn’t be kosher for me to travel without her,
right?
I've been hearing on the Chicago news and I would guess you have too.

1. Biden said he would release all vaccine that are currently being held back for a 2nd vaccine.

2. Johnson & Johnson said they should have all their vaccine data available by the end of January for emergency approval by the FDA. Johnson & Johnson has a one shot vaccine.

3. I'm 65 and they just recently included 65 and over in Illinois 1B group.

Initial data from the ongoing vaccination campaign here in Israel is rolling in, based on the follow-up of those who have received their first shot (out of two). This is only preliminary, but interesting nonetheless.
The two main findings are that seventeen per cent of present serious cases of Covid had already received one shot, and there also appears to be a reduction of fifty percent in infection after taking the first dose.

The present (third) lockdown here is supposed to end Jan. 21, but will probably be extended, as the number of cases is not going down yet.

There is an online calculator here in Canada to let you know when it might be your turn.
It calculates based on age, occupation, whether you care for others in your home, etc.
It's very encouraging to know that there are currently 20,574,310 people ahead of me!! :)
It did says that it puts me around July for the vaccine.

SMJ, I would be optimistic that you will receive the vaccine before July. I think they will iron out some of the obstacles with the logistics, and likely two more vaccines should be approved in the next 2 months. Hopefully they prove to be the same 95% effectiveness. Also, as I mentioned above, some people ahead of you may opt not to receive it so it bumps you further up the list.

IATA is working on an app which will store digital certificates of vaccination status as well as test results.

United and some airlines are working with an app from a Geneva nonprofit to perform similar functions.

US vaccine rollout has been slow. According to this site, 6.5% of the population has gotten at least one shot:

But that's more than double, in some cases almost triple that of many EU nations.

So even if Americans get most of its population vaccinated by summer or fall, EU countries may not be in a similar position.

So they may not want to allow in American tourists.

Iceland has issued vaccine passports to 4800 citizens who've received 2 doses but it's not clear any country will accept those.

So even if Americans get most of its population vaccinated by summer or fall, EU countries may not be in a similar position.

So they may not want to allow in American tourists.
I thought of that this morning too! They won’t let Brits in either I think.

One of my friends who is over 70 in New Mexico is getting vaccinated today. In our part of the UK they are now vaccinating over 75s. My husband Steve is in the next group, over 70s.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina