• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Zurers in Italy 2018

Italy 2018: Thursday, April 26: Day 10: Trieste-Gorizia (part 2)

We hang out in the hotel for the rest of the afternoon until it is time to visit the synagogue at 5 pm. It is pretty easy to drive in the city ... the streets are well marked and for the most part straight and not narrow.

sinagoga_gorizia-jpg

photo from the internet - www.turismofvg.it

Inside the synagogue, we are met by the woman who is the caretaker and two Italian tourists. The caretaker asks if we want a English speaking guide and we say we do. The Italians also agree so the the woman goes off to get her son. While waiting, we talk to the Italians ... their English is quite good. They tell us that they are from Crema and are surprised that we are going to be visiting there later in the trip.

The guide -- Lorenzo -- turns out to be excellent. Both he and his mother are not Jewish but he has learned an amazing amount about the Jewish religion and the history of the Jews in Friuli. The Italians, who are also not Jewish, are very interested and we end up having a long conversations about the synagogue and then Italian politics.

NOTE: Here is a short description of the Gorizia Jewish community ... it dates back to the the 14th century and by 1900, the Jewish population was close to 1,000. The total dwindled to about 183 in 1938 but by the end of World War II, only two return. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/gorizia

We remember the synagogue very well ... it is now only used once a year to keep its status as a religious building.

Every Hanukkah, a group comes from Trieste with the rabbi and they have a service. Occasionally, families may hold bar mitzvahs here but there is virtually no Jewish community left in Gorizia.

The woman who is the caretaker volunteers to take us over to the old Jewish cemetery which is actually across the border in Slovenia but only ten minutes away. The cemetery is maintained by the city but a lot of it is in disarray and it's located right under the elevated autostrada.

We walk around a bit and take some pictures. It is a sad place.

We have a very interesting and delicious dinner at a very lovely restaurant called Rosenbar.

There are few diners this evening but the owner welcomes us warmly and tells us that his wife Michaela -- the cook who speaks better English -- will come out and take care of us. We have an excellent meal -- Diana has mixed plate of local appetizers -- meatballs, vegetables, etc., a filet of orata with potatoes and asparagus (overcooked as usual) and a delicious pear cake. They are out of clams but my spaghetti with anchovies and breadcrumbs is terrific as is my "fritto misto" -- tempura-like fish and vegetables. The wine is the house white and we have no trouble finishing the bottle.

There is a problem with the credit card machine when we go to pay the bill and we get a chance to talk more about Gorizia; it is not doing as well economically as it was when Slovenia was Communist and lots of business came from over the border. The Italians have not adjusted to the challenge of the vibrant Slovenian economy.

Once the machine fails again, we say we will come back for dinner tomorrow and pay then and Michaela says that is fine. We say our goodnights and drive back to the hotel. Tomorrow we will visit the Castello overlooking the town.

Jim and Diana

P.S. from Diana. Here's what I've been reading.

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler

Vinegar Girl is a rewrite of The Taming of the Shrew as part of Vintage’s “Hogarth Shakespeare”, marking the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death. Kate's father wants her to marry his assistant Pyotr so he'll be able to stay in the US. At some point you know he's going to say: Kiss me Katya. Enjoyable but not really worth it - from a novelist I usually love.

Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom by Thomas E. Ricks

A terrific, very readable book. Sorry to have missed my book club's discussion - hope they liked it. Having seen the recent Churchill movie, Darkest Hour, on the plane, as well as having seen the movie Dunkirk, I was ready for more detail and analysis and Ricks provided it. I knew less about Orwell and Ricks' connecting the two sometimes seems problematic. But they both confronted uncomfortable truths, eloquently, and Ricks writes about them with great admiration and skill.

Lying Awake by Mark Salzman

A short novel by a writer I like very much about a subject that proved totally engrossing. A cloistered Carmelite nun, Sister John, is faced with a diagnosis of epilepsy and recommended surgery, and the possibility that her religious ecstasy is not spiritual but attributable to her medical condition. The forthright dealing with issues of faith, the descriptions of the nuns and their daily life - all fascinating. Almost a page turner that can be read in one sitting.

I posted my itinerary for our trip in the Italy forum, but have copied it here.

It is the 25th anniversary of our first trip to Italy in 1993 when we visited my sister who had a teaching Fulbright in Florence. We have gone back at least once every year since then. This year we will spend most of our time in the northeast--Friuli and the Veneto. We were last in Friuli in 2000 so it is about time for another look.
  • We fly out of Newark to Rome on April 16 ...
  • April 17-19: Bologna: Meeting our Swedish friends Ulf and Elinor
  • April 19-22: Conegliano: in Prosecco country between Treviso and Belluno
  • April 22-26: Trieste
  • April 26-29: Gorizia
  • April 29-May 3: Udine (We had to rearrange this part of the trip because Udine was full the week before as it is the location for the Far East Film Festival.)
  • May 3-7: Asolo: foothills of the Dolomites
  • May 7-10: Crema: location of the film "Call Me By Your Name"
  • May 10-13: Lerici: one of our happiest places in Italy
  • May 13-17: Rome
  • On May 17, we fly back from Rome to Newark.
This is the second time we are flying out of Newark because the United non-stop to Rome is about half the price of flying on a connecting flight out of Washington DC. We are driving there and back in reasonably priced one-rentals from Alamo....I find it preferable to drive and fly non-stop rather than connecting in NYC or somewhere in Europe.

View attachment 10733
A. Leonardo da Vinci International Airport Rome
B. Bologna
C. Conegliano
D. Trieste
E. Gorizia
F. Udine
G. Asolo,
H. Crema
I. Lerici
J. Rome
Hi Jim! I'll just miss you in Udine. I'm arriving May 21-28th. I'm looking forward to exploring the area of Friuli! I'm staying at Hotel Astoria.

I'm enjoying your reports as always,

Mindy

Italy 2018: Thursday, April 19: Day 3: Bologna-Conegliano

Another beautiful day ... we have to pack up to leave for our next destination -- Conegliano in the Veneto.

After breakfast, I take a last walk in Bologna and go to see the Bologna Holocaust memorial which is on the far side of the train station, less than a mile from our hotel. The streets are crowded with people going to work and children on their way to school. I don't think I have ever seen so many bicycles locked up in one place ....

The memorial is located next to the railroad tracks at a busy intersection. It is very spare and stark ... two horizontal walls in an open plaza and two facing vertical rust colored iron slabs with a small space in between. On the interior walls -- separated by only a couple of feet -- are layers of "shelves" meant to simulate the bunks in concentration camps. It is a couple of days after Yom Hashoah so there is a wreath left in front of one of the walls.

More photos here: https://www.archdaily.com/782297/bologna-shoah-memorial-set

Ulf and Elinor join us for a walk over to a nearby park, the Montagnola Gardens, where we enjoy thepeace and quiet and say goodbye. We have been meeting them in Italy regularly for the past several years so we expect to see them again next year.

(We had met Ulf on line -- at the ticket office -- at Pompeii in 1994 and we have become good friends over the years. He and his family have visited us in Washington and we have even traveled to Lund Sweden to visit him.)

We check out, pack up the car, get the GPS set for our trip and start out.

Our lunch destination is at pizza place near Verona that was recently written up in the NY Times ... but when we get there, there is a sign in the window saying that they are closed for a special occasion. We should have called ahead.

I get on Google Maps and find a possible place for lunch in San Martino Buon Albergo (a suburb of Verona) and we drive there through a busy commercial and industrial area before reaching the Ristorante Al Maglio. The restaurant sits on the side of a fishing pond at the beginning of farmland. The place is very busy with customers coming for the 12 euro fixed price lunch. We are seated in the far corner of the attractive room and go over the menu, which has numerous options for less than three courses. Diana has a plate of excellent tortellini with butter and sage and a salad and I have a "mixed grill" -- sausage, a chicken drumstick and a slice of porchetta -- and a plate of vegetables (roast potatoes and swiss chard). This all comes with water and a quarter liter of wine. The food is great and the bill comes to Euro 18.00!

We may try to go the pizza place later in the trip.

Conegliano is a busy town with a very attractive historic center. We had been here in 2007 and this is what I wrote then ...

After lunch, we head back to the Stradadel Prosecco for a look at another of the wine trails and we make a short stop in Conegliano, another small Veneto city with a lovely historical center and an attractive vibe. There are arcaded sidewalks and buildings with flowers hanging from pots and biblicalscenes painted on walls.

20071025-130407-27.jpg
20071025-130407-28.jpg

We walk around the main street, make a short visit to the Duomo and admire an altarpiece by the famous local Renaissance painter, Cima di Conegliano, have a gelatoand leave town but we would happily come back for another visit on our next trip to the Veneto.

Our first impressions on our return trip are the same. We check into our very comfortable hotel -- the Canon d'Oro -- which is located just down the street from the Duomo. Our room looks out over the garden and the hill behind.

We go out together for a short walk and stop for our first gelato of the trip.

After resting in the room for a while and doing some work, I go out for an exploratory walk to check out possible places for dinner. Just outside the historical center, I walk along the Monticiano River

and admire some more grand historic buildings ... this one is a pizzeria.

We discuss the possibility of dinner but we are both too full and too tired to go out for a full meal. Instead, we go to a bar down the street and have some prosecco and a plate of prosciutto and mozzarella which is just what we wanted.

Tomorrow we will explore the town and drive out into the countryside.

Jim and Diana

PS I meant to include a picture of Valentina Misgur and me from yesterday.

You never know when you meet someone that they will become a lifelong friend.

Hi Jim! I'll just miss you in Udine. Mindy

Hi Mindy...too bad we will miss each other. It would have been fun to see you.

We stayed at the Astoria on our last visit to Udine...but I wanted to try another place this time.

Will you have a car or are you going to rely on public transport?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim

Hi Mindy...too bad we will miss each other. It would have been fun to see you.

We stayed at the Astoria on our last visit to Udine...but I wanted to try another place this time.

Will you have a car or are you going to rely on public transport?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim
Hi Jim, I'll be on a Food and Wine tour with my dear friends Marcello and Raffaella who own http://www.bluone.com/friuli-venezia-giulia-deluxe-wine-tour.html Our itinerary is a little different than on this page as we start our tour on a Tuesday and added on an extra day. It all sounds wonderful! When I explored the "Prosecco" area a few years ago it was also with M&R. While I love doing things on my own, their tours, for me, are the best!

Thank you for your reply, looking forward to your future posts and photos.

M

Italy 2018: Wednesday, April 27: Day 11: Gorizia (Part 1)

Our destination this morning is the Castello di Gorizia ...

file-jpg

photo from the internet - www.congressfvg.it

a very handsome fortress overlooking the city and located in the hilltop neighborhood of Borgo Castello. The road to the top is fine but I stop before going through the gate to check about parking

and watch as this large truck inches its way through the opening.

We really enjoy our visit to the castle ... there are many interesting displays inside and walking through the different courtyards and battlements is fascinating. Some of our favorite sights are the Hall of Music, with gorgeous displays of period musical instruments in a very impressive room.

Here are some random photos that I took at the Castello ... we spend almost two hours here and enjoyed every minute.

If you are interested in more detail about the history of the castello, you can check out the Wikipedia article.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorizia_Castle

End of Part 1

Italy 2018: Wednesday, April 27: Day 11: Gorizia (Part 2)

We take a rest after our castle tour

before walking over to the Museo della Grande Guerra ... World War I. This area of what is now Italy was heavily contested between the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Italians and this wonderful museum presents an excellent picture of what the war was like -- in terms of the soldiers who had to face a new strain of deadly weapons (machine guns, bombs, and poison gas) while still fighting hand to hand with rifles and bayonets, the terrain (there is an vivid reproduction of what it might have felt like in the trenches) as well as the strategies of the military commanders.

My photos don't do the museum justice ... it is so well put together with excellent visuals and well written explanations (in English). Here is a link to pages of internet pictures of the museum that will show you some of its power of. We learned a lot ...

Museo della Grande Guerra

We have lunch at a well recommended bar ... I have a Friulian plate of frico (the baked cheese and potato version) with polenta, grilled mushrooms and radicchio. Diana has a salami and cheese sandwich. We eat outside which now has mixed appeal ... it is hard to avoid smokers at the outside tables so the enjoyment of fresh air is severely limited.

When I am unable to finish my plate, the waiter immediately asks if we want to take the rest home and returns with a cardboard box for the leftovers.

This is the first time we have experienced this in 25 years.

We have a quiet late afternoon at the hotel ... I have an errand to run at another hotel (they had mistakenly charged me as a no-show) and rather than reversing the charge, they made the adjustment in cash, so I get to walk through a different part of town. I am amused by this sign in the gelateria advertising the flavor "fragole con slivovitz" -- a new combination ...

and I admire the Palazzo Lantieri ... another of the impressive buildings in the city.

We return to Rosenbar for dinner -- anticipating a warm welcome and another very good meal. But things don't work out as we expected ... the host barely acknowledges us, his wife Michaela is busy in the kitchen, the sweet young waitress is very inexperienced and nervous and the food is not as good as it was the night before. I usually recommend that clients who have a good experience at a restaurant go back there and often they will be welcomed as "semi-regulars". Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way.

Michaela does come out of the kitchen before we leave to say goodbye but the rosy feelings we had for Rosenbar are diminished.

Tomorrow we will drive to Aquileia to see the mosaics in the basilica and take a guided tour in Gorizia in the afternoon.

Jim and Diana

Italy 2018: Thursday, April 28: Day 12: Gorizia (Part 1)

Our destination this morning is the Roman city of Aquileia and the basilica which is known for its elaborate floor mosaics and extensive Roman archaeological remains. Aquileia was a major outpost of the Empire and also very important in the early development of Christianity. The mosaic floor was only discovered during the 20th century and it has become a major tourist attraction.

We had been here in 2000 and don't remember how organized it is. There are separate admissions for all the different parts of the complex; we don't have to pay because we bought a seven day Friuli Venezia Giulia tourist card which gets you into most attractions and gives you other perks. We also got audio guides with the card.

The floor mosaics are actually quite amazing ... the floors look like they are size of a football field. They are grouped into separate sections, each with a religious lesson - for presumably illiterate 4th c. Christians. A large part of the floor is devoted to the story of Jonah and the whale. The audio guides covered everything but the English narration was stilted and the organization was hard to follow so rather than try to identify each picture, we just move along the raised plexiglass walkway and admire the skill and artistry that went into producing the floor.

Here are a few closeups of parts of the floor.

There are amazing 12th c. frescoes in the apse of the basilica and in the crypt below the altar.

(end of part 1)

Italy 2018: Thursday, April 28: Day 12: Gorizia (Part 2)

New excavations under an old parallel church and the bell tower are extensive ...

and there are many more floor mosaics on various themes.

including a basket of snails.

We take a quick peek at the large baptistery with its immense baptismal font.

After a couple of hours, we are ready for a rest but I am attracted to the possibility of climbing the bell tower so while Diana sits below, I huff and puff up the 123 steps to the top. I may be getting too old for this ... but I catch my breath, enjoy the view and descend.

il-campanile-di-poppone.jpg

photo from the internet - tripadvisor.com

We get in the car and drive to the nearby beach town of Grado for lunch ... the same as we had done eighteen years earlier after visiting Aquileia. Grado is packed ... the central square busy with people eating lunch and enjoying gelato. We walk through the old town to the water front where there is a pleasant promenade.

Not finding a waterfront place for lunch, we stop at a busy trattoria on the edge of the historic center and sit outside.

Lunch is pleasant ... spaghetti alle vongole (my favorite) for me, grilled shrimp and a salad for Diana, some white wine and an excellent panna cotta. On the way back to the car, we pop into the duomo for a quick look and then head back to Gorizia for our guided tour of the city.

The tour -- organized by the tourist office -- is in English and Italian but there are only two English speakers and sixteen Italians so the guide first talks to the Italians and then talks to us in English ... a bit awkward, but the others on the tour seem fine with it. The guide is excellent and we see a lot of places that we may have missed on our own.

After two hours, we are ready to go to back to the hotel and rest before dinner.

We eat at a restaurant just up the street from the hotel, Ai Tre Soldi (Three Coins). It is set back in a rear courtyard and very peaceful (a good thing, since there is a DJ playing exceptionally loud music at a bar just across the street).

Dinner is very good -- both the service and the food ... we share a dish of beef tartar and Diana has plate of tagliolini with local smoked prosciutto and lots of butter. I have goulash (we are close to Mitteleurope) with gnocchi del pane (bread dumplings) which I like a lot as well as a plate of nicely cooked spinach.

13844514.jpg

photo from the internet - pgol.it

The DJ is still at it when we walk back to the hotel.

Tomorrow, off to Udine.

Jim and Diana

Hi Jim,

I have climbed a lot of towers in Italy over the years, and even though the tower in Aquilea only has 123 steps, I thought it was a really tough climb! Everyone climbing it when I was there definitely huffed & puffed when they reached the top. Loved the photos! Lucky you to be able to take photos inside the basilica. I had to sneak one looking in, right at the doorway.

I am really looking forward to your visit to Udine. I am sure you have already read up on what there is to do, but if not, I wanted to recommend, of course, a visit to the Duomo, but also the Museo del Duomo, the Museo Diocesano e Galleries del Tiepolo, the museums inside the Castello, and my favorite museum - The Museo Etnografico di Friuli. I visited all of these except the Castello museums with Amy. We were lucky to overlap and did a fun GTG that day. The Etnografico Museum houses a variety of interesting items displaying life in Friuli from the 18th century to the 20th century. One of the things I really enjoyed about Udine was the lack of American tourists. We often ended up having a private guide while visiting these museums. Everyone seemed to be curious as to why we were visiting Udine. I can also highly recommend the Enoteca Giardinetto for a meal. We had lunch there one day. This was a recommendation from Shannon. Also, Oggi Gelato for some great gelato. It is located not too far from the Enoteca Giardinetto.

susan

Thanks for the note. You may have realized that I am about 5 days behind in my reports so we have already been to Udine and are now in Asolo.

We thought Udine was an extremely lovely city....and really enjoyed walking around. We unfortunately missed the Etnografico Museum but we did enjoy the Modern Art Museum a lot. We were mostly disappointed in the food in Udine....we especially found the service in restaurants terrible. Not sure why....

But it is a wonderful destination and a great place to hang out.

Jim

Italy 2018: Friday, April 29: Day 13: Gorizia-Udine

Before we leave Gorizia, we take a drive around town, stopping at the train station where there is a plaque in the ground at the Piazza Transalpina indicating the Slovenian/Italian border. Now the border is wide open but during the cold war, this was a tense situation.

cfe09ff0adf099e2618218b65d05cf54.jpg

photo from the internet - i.pinimg.com

We cross the border and take a look at Nova Gorica, the modern city in Slovenia with high rises and many casinos ...

img2680_location.jpg

photo from the internet - www.sloveniaholidays.com

In Gorizia I also search out "stolpersteine", small plaques set into sidewalks in front of houses from which Jews were taken and sent to concentration camps and murdered. Created by a German artist -- Gunter Demnig -- the plaques are installed all over Europe ... they now total over 50,000.

http://www.stolpersteine.eu/en/home/

There are three adjacent to the synagogue ...

We will look for more in Rome ... I find them very moving.

This is the gate next to the synagogue ... it used to be one of the gates to the Gorizia ghetto.

We have liked Gorizia and the area very much ... it is a comfortable and attractive city with lots of history. And I have to mention, the tourist office was one of the very best I have been to in all of Italy ... and I have been to many.

On the way to Udine, we take a short detour to Palmanova, a fortress town built in the 16th century by the Venetians in the shape of a star.

palmanova-01.jpg

photo from the internet - www.italianways.com

The streets are all rings around the large central piazza ... a very unique design. The fortifications are massive and the town is ringed with a wide (now filled in) moat. We just make a quick stop -- a fast inspection of the duomo and a porchetta sandwich -- and resume our drive to Udine.

We can't drive to our hotel in Udine because the Far East Film Festival, which is now over, has left a Chinatown set up in the main street and it is closed to car traffic. We find the multi-story garage where the hotel has parking, are met by one of the staff, get the keys to the garage and the hotel, get a map of the directions to the hotel, drive to the sixth level up a tight spiral ramp and wrestle two suitcases down to the street. We were told it was a five minute walk to the hotel but somehow we get turned around and five minutes turns into fifteen. We finally get on track and reach the hotel, tired, hot and frustrated.

We are staying at the Mercatovecchio Luxury Suites, a small boutique hotel with six movie themed suites located on the second floor (third in the U.S.) of an office building. There is an elevator to reception but we have an unexpected additional flight of stairs to our room -- Train to Darjeeling. (We didn't see the movie.) The decoration is quite striking - Durer's woodcut enlarged ...

The accommodation is bright and modern with a kitchenette and nice bath.

de58d644_z.jpg

photo from the internet - exp.cdn-hotels.com

You can see the other rooms by going to the Mercatovecchio Luxury Suites web page.

http://www.mercatovecchio.it/

We hang out in the room for a while, resting up from our arrival. I take a quick exploratory walk ... I hadn't remembered how beautiful the city is.

For dinner, we return to a place where we had eaten on our last visit, Al Vecchio Stallo. A bit of a walk from the hotel, we remember it as soon as we walk in -- the decoration is eclectic to say the least.

2007506150af2b3641604_large.jpg

photo from the internet - www.casaangela.it

ls.jpg

photo from the internet - yelpcdn.com

The food is fine ... the service a bit slapdash. We shared a small plate of salami and cheese then Diana had gnocchi and grilled sausages with mashed potatoes. I had a hearty bowl of pasta fagioli and a very good frico -- basically a slab of nicely grilled montasio cheese with a portion of polenta. (I am still looking for the frico croccante (crisply baked) that I remember from our last trip.) Diana finishes with strawberries.

When we go to pay, we tell the man that we had eaten here eighteen years ago ... he laughs and he says (in Italian) something to the effect "that's nothing ... I have been stuck here for thirty years."

Tomorrow we have a guided group tour of Udine ...

Jim and Diana

Thanks for the note. You may have realized that I am about 5 days behind in my reports so we have already been to Udine and are now in Asolo.

We thought Udine was an extremely lovely city....and really enjoyed walking around. We unfortunately missed the Etnografico Museum but we did enjoy the Modern Art Museum a lot. We were mostly disappointed in the food in Udine....we especially found the service in restaurants terrible. Not sure why....

But it is a wonderful destination and a great place to hang out.

Jim

So sorry I didn't post the info sooner! I guess I wasn't paying attention to your dates. I sort of agree with the restaurants there. Enoteca Giardinetto was the only place I would have recommended.

Italy 2018: Monday, April 30: Day 14: Udine

NOTE: I am falling way behind ... either because we having such a good time or that I am getting lazy (probably a combination of both). In any case, in an attempt to catch up with real time, I am going to try and make the reports more concise.

-- Breakfast is excellent at the Mercatovecchio Luxury Suites ... although the space is limited and the table is unusual, the coffee and tea are hot and there are good rolls and yogurt.

aaa3bb22_z.jpg

photo from the internet - exp.cdn-hotels.com

-- We have signed up for another group tour arranged by the tourist office; again we are the only English speakers but the group is very patient with the situation. We cover a good part of the historic center of Udine ... the "centro" seems to go on and on filled with big "piazze", handsome buildings, charming streets and fast flowing canals. The only part of the city not visited is the hill overlooking the town where the castle and town museums are located.

I didn't take many pictures during the tour but in the reports of the following days, I will include some.

-- After the tour which last about 2.5 hours, it is time for lunch and, after finding my first choice closed for vacation, we go to a place we had walked past on the tour. There are outside tables that overlook a pretty canal and we sit down. Poco di Buono specializes in variations on what Italians call "toast". Usually a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, at Poco di Buono they combine different ingredients and spreads and serve them with flair. The sandwiches and the setting make for a very pleasant and relaxing meal.

-- After a rest in the hotel, I set out to explore a bit more which includes a climb up to the castle where a number of the civic museums are located. The castle is not a typical castle with battlements and towers but looks like a substantial old office building or residence.

The views over the city are a bit disappointing to me; as attractive as the city is when you are walking around, there are few towers or domes to enliven the view.

I did pass a bunker from World War II on the side of the hill.

Dinner is at another restaurant we had passed on our tour earlier ... Ai Frati. Tucked away in a small piazza, it looked like a charming place to eat. However, when we arrive, the place is packed. We opted to eat inside rather than the upstairs terrace which may have been a bad choice. In addition to the chaos in the room, there was also the problem of getting served, some misunderstandings with the harried waitresses and a high noise level.

The food was not bad -- orzotto (barley cooked liked risotto) and a local dish called toc (polenta with sausage and tasty soft cheese) for me, tagliolini with San Daniele and a tagliata (sliced steak) for Diana and a nice bottle of pinot nero from the Alto Adige -- but it was too frantic to really appreciate it.

Tomorrow is a holiday -- the first of May -- and we will go to see some of the many Tiepolo works in Udine.

Jim and Diana

Italy 2018: Tuesday, May 1: Day 15: Udine

This morning is Tiepolo morning ... the great Venetian painter spent a short time in Udine in the early 18th century and it is said that it was there he found "his voice". Udine has many of his best paintings and this morning we are going to see them.

Our first stop is the Diocesian Museum where he left a number of major works. Many of the paintings are of Biblical stories from the Old Testament. The paintings are on a grand scale, very colorful and -- especially the ceiling paintings -- with dazzling perspectives.

The first two -- from the Diocesan Museum -- are Rachel Hides Her Father's Idols

and a ceiling painting of The Judgement of Solomon.

There is also a knockout of a 17th century library ... all wood with over 10,000 books arranged in alphabetical order.

He also painted the small oratory next to the Duomo with a light-filled, gentle ceiling painting of Mary's Assumption

and a monochrome scene of the Maccabees when they were condemned to death by Antiochus.

We walk by the Duomo

on our way to buy some socks for me at the Upim department store ... which -- amazingly to us -- is open for business on this May 1 holiday. We have been in Italy for many May Day holidays and usually all stores are closed up tight.

Sightseeing done for the morning, we get in the car and drive to the hill town of San Daniele about a half hour west of Udine.

82989487.jpg

photo from the internet - panoramio.com

Since today is a holiday, the town is filled with visitors who are interested in trying the famous local product -- prosciutto di San Daniele. We immediately find a parking space in the center but the first restaurant we go to is full. The next one can only seat us outside on the sidewalk and we sit down and enjoy a big board of prosciutto, cheese, polenta and marinated vegetables. The prosciutto is excellent -- said to be more delicate than the Parma version. We like them all however ...

We take a short ride through the countryside on the way back to Udine and need a rest.

The less said about our dinner tonight, the better. We go back to another place where we had eaten eighteen years ago ... La Ghiaccaia (The Ice House).

6736169453_4673fa1b65_b.jpg

photo from the internet - flickr.com

Although they have a lovely terrace overlooking another of the Udine canals, we opt for inside -- it's a bit cool tonight and we want to avoid cigarette smoke. After having difficulty getting anyone's attention to seat us, we are directed to a small side room and basically ignored for fifteen minutes. (We are not the only ones who are being ignored ... in case you think we were being singled out.)

We do get to eat in the end ... but it is not worth talking about. We growl about our experience on the way back to the hotel with a brief stop en route for a compensatory gelato.

Tomorrow we will visit the Castello and the town museums.

Jim and Diana

Italy 2018: Thursday, April 26: Day 10: Trieste-Gorizia (part 2)

We hang out in the hotel for the rest of the afternoon until it is time to visit the synagogue at 5 pm. It is pretty easy to drive in the city ... the streets are well marked and for the most part straight and not narrow.

sinagoga_gorizia-jpg

photo from the internet - www.turismofvg.it

Inside the synagogue, we are met by the woman who is the caretaker and two Italian tourists. The caretaker asks if we want a English speaking guide and we say we do. The Italians also agree so the the woman goes off to get her son. While waiting, we talk to the Italians ... their English is quite good. They tell us that they are from Crema and are surprised that we are going to be visiting there later in the trip.

The guide -- Lorenzo -- turns out to be excellent. Both he and his mother are not Jewish but he has learned an amazing amount about the Jewish religion and the history of the Jews in Friuli. The Italians, who are also not Jewish, are very interested and we end up having a long conversations about the synagogue and then Italian politics.

NOTE: Here is a short description of the Gorizia Jewish community ... it dates back to the the 14th century and by 1900, the Jewish population was close to 1,000. The total dwindled to about 183 in 1938 but by the end of World War II, only two return. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/gorizia

We remember the synagogue very well ... it is now only used once a year to keep its status as a religious building.

Every Hanukkah, a group comes from Trieste with the rabbi and they have a service. Occasionally, families may hold bar mitzvahs here but there is virtually no Jewish community left in Gorizia.

The woman who is the caretaker volunteers to take us over to the old Jewish cemetery which is actually across the border in Slovenia but only ten minutes away. The cemetery is maintained by the city but a lot of it is in disarray and it's located right under the elevated autostrada.

We walk around a bit and take some pictures. It is a sad place.

We have a very interesting and delicious dinner at a very lovely restaurant called Rosenbar.

There are few diners this evening but the owner welcomes us warmly and tells us that his wife Michaela -- the cook who speaks better English -- will come out and take care of us. We have an excellent meal -- Diana has mixed plate of local appetizers -- meatballs, vegetables, etc., a filet of orata with potatoes and asparagus (overcooked as usual) and a delicious pear cake. They are out of clams but my spaghetti with anchovies and breadcrumbs is terrific as is my "fritto misto" -- tempura-like fish and vegetables. The wine is the house white and we have no trouble finishing the bottle.

There is a problem with the credit card machine when we go to pay the bill and we get a chance to talk more about Gorizia; it is not doing as well economically as it was when Slovenia was Communist and lots of business came from over the border. The Italians have not adjusted to the challenge of the vibrant Slovenian economy.

Once the machine fails again, we say we will come back for dinner tomorrow and pay then and Michaela says that is fine. We say our goodnights and drive back to the hotel. Tomorrow we will visit the Castello overlooking the town.

Jim and Diana

P.S. from Diana. Here's what I've been reading.

Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler

Vinegar Girl is a rewrite of The Taming of the Shrew as part of Vintage’s “Hogarth Shakespeare”, marking the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare’s death. Kate's father wants her to marry his assistant Pyotr so he'll be able to stay in the US. At some point you know he's going to say: Kiss me Katya. Enjoyable but not really worth it - from a novelist I usually love.

Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom by Thomas E. Ricks

A terrific, very readable book. Sorry to have missed my book club's discussion - hope they liked it. Having seen the recent Churchill movie, Darkest Hour, on the plane, as well as having seen the movie Dunkirk, I was ready for more detail and analysis and Ricks provided it. I knew less about Orwell and Ricks' connecting the two sometimes seems problematic. But they both confronted uncomfortable truths, eloquently, and Ricks writes about them with great admiration and skill.

Lying Awake by Mark Salzman

A short novel by a writer I like very much about a subject that proved totally engrossing. A cloistered Carmelite nun, Sister John, is faced with a diagnosis of epilepsy and recommended surgery, and the possibility that her religious ecstasy is not spiritual but attributable to her medical condition. The forthright dealing with issues of faith, the descriptions of the nuns and their daily life - all fascinating. Almost a page turner that can be read in one sitting.
Jim, so cool to see you still love and are traveling to Italy. I have been leading my Italy Retreats for 10 years now. Will always remember your help. Maybe we'll see each other in Italy some day.

Jim, so cool to see you still love and are traveling to Italy. I have been leading my Italy Retreats for 10 years now. Will always remember your help. Maybe we'll see each other in Italy some day.

This is my worlds colliding! I know @lenoraboyle from Boulder and @Jim Zurer from the SlowTrav site! We are meeting up with Jim and Diana on Thursday!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina