• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

A Week in Tuscany, near Montepulciano

When we stayed in Cetona, we spent a day exploring The Prehistory Museum (in Cetona) and the nearby Belverde Archeological/Nature Park, which has a reconstructed Bronze Age village, with life-size huts and areas for artisan activities, and a cave dwelling from the mid-Paleolithic period. Stunning views from the mouth of the cave. We had the museum to ourselves, and there were only a handful of people on our tour of the archeological site. More info on the official website here if you're interested.

We also enjoyed Sarteano...it has narrow windy hilltown streets, a 14th century castle to explore (and fabulous views from it's ramparts!), a church with an Annunciation painting by Beccafumi. We didn't eat there but passed a couple spots that looked to be filled with locals.

When we stayed in Cetona, we spent a day exploring The Prehistory Museum (in Cetona) and the nearby Belverde Archeological/Nature Park, which has a reconstructed Bronze Age village, with life-size huts and areas for artisan activities, and a cave dwelling from the mid-Paleolithic period. Stunning views from the mouth of the cave. We had the museum to ourselves, and there were only a handful of people on our tour of the archeological site. More info on the official website here if you're interested.

We also enjoyed Sarteano...it has narrow windy hilltown streets, a 14th century castle to explore (and fabulous views from it's ramparts!), a church with an Annunciation painting by Beccafumi. We didn't eat there but passed a couple spots that looked to be filled with locals.
Thanks for those tips, Anne. Altho I know both towns are charming, I didn't know about the Perhistory museum and hope we can visit while we're in Italy this summer. The site says they're due to reopen in April 2014 after renovations - wonder if they really did reopen?

Yes, Pauline, Orvieto! You know I'm a fan of that hill town. And maybe you can visit with Linda Martinez when you're there, owner of the Beehive in Rome. Nice people, the Martinez'.

There is a wonderful, out of the way wine bar around the corner from Hotel Palazzo Picollomini called Vincaffe. Great selection of Italian wines and fresh, soups, salads, local cheeses, etc…..Run by two young men, jazz on the weekends. Don't open until late day. I also like to eat at Taverna dell' Etrusco, not far off Piazza della Republica. I Sette Console is a bit too high end for my tastes but a lovely setting and well prepared food when I ate there some years ago. I love the Picollomini because they know me after years of staying there and they always have a room if I show up on the spur of the moment. Very plain but well organized and very sweet staff.

Do NOT miss the Etruscan museum (run by the State) behind the cathedral, not across from it (city museum is not worth a look). There is an Etruscan tomb they brought from a farm nearby and if you ask the docent they will turn on the lights and let you step inside to see the fresco…..

Also, as cliche as it may sound, the city-run guided tour of the underground is very informative and well done. It takes about an hour and if you aren't fearful of a few close spaces, well worth the time.

Anyway, let us know what you actually end up doing.

Ciao,
Cheryl
www.italianexcursion.com

BTW, when we visited Steve and Linda in 2012 they recommended the hotel just down the street from them, I think's it's call La Posta.

And I guess I completely missed the first page of this thread, because I didn't realize it was PAULINE who was taking advantage of the cancellation. We arrive on the 24th, so we'll miss you by days days....bummer!

Last edited:
I looked up my old photos and, I can't believe this, the last time I was in Tuscany was September 2003. We spent most of that trip in Levanto (Liguria), but spent 3 nights at a hotel in San Quirico before going to Rome. We had a lunch GTG and I think that was the first time I met Barb and Art, Rebecca, Joanna - and more. It was a big group.

I was going to email you Barb to see if we overlapped. This was a really last minute decision. I booked everything the day before we left for the France trip, and we are home less than 2 weeks before leaving again. I couldn't resist the discount Nico offered on that apartment in Sant'Antonio! I had planned to go there sometime soon.

I posted some photos from the GTG on the Travel Talk thread about GTGs.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! I have copied out all the restaurant and things to do suggestions. We leave on Thursday!

It is hot in Tuscany now - in the mid 90s - and will be Thursday and Friday, but by the time we arrive at Sant'Antonio, it looks like it is going down to the 80s. The hotel we booked in Orvieto has A/C - I never thought to check when booking, but now I am happy to see that.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina