• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - August 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is indeed Siena.
I have been lucky enough to spend over nearly 3 months there at various times, and know the city quite well.
There are 17 "contrade" , each with it's own symbol, flag, church, stable and fountain. The 5 images posted were (from top to bottom) the fountain of Tartuca (Turtle), Statues from the headquarters of Drago (Dragon) and Chiocciola (Snail), and again fountains of Torre (Tower) and Pantera (Panther).

PokeyMindy - I could tell you, but it is more fun to discover them by accident while walking around.
Nearly every street corner has a contrada marker , so it's usually pretty easy to see in which area you are.
My friend Cristina who I will hang out with is in the Selva "contrade" :) I will enjoy looking for the different statues. Grazie!

Last edited:
Hint #1: There are two visible hints in the picture where this church altar is located.

I did notice that. I am almost certain I've been there (many years ago) and found it quite gaudy - but then I have never really liked Baroque. I think it is in Valletta in Malta.

My friend Cristina who I will hang out with is in the Selva "contrade" :) I will enjoy looking for the different statures. Grazie!

The first two times I stayed in Siena, I was in a flat in the contrada of La Selva - so that is my "adopted" Contrada - I have the green and orange banner hanging above our stairwell at home.

On the left and right side of the photo there are Maltese Crosses There eight points of the four arms for the eight lands of origin that made up the Knights of Hospitaller (The Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem).

So Tim you are correct it is St. John's Co-Cathedral in Valletta. It is a co-cathedral because the Bishop of Malta has two sees - the original cathedral in Mdina and St. John's in Valletta.

Tim W - You are up!

Another castle (I have a think about castles!)
IMG_6800.jpg

Yes, Caerphilly - A beautiful Castle, and only 20 minutes from Cardiff.

All yours JustTravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina