• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - July 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_3350.JPG

Fabulous photo. Looks like Venice but you said it is not Italy. Maybe Croatia because of that marble and the color of the water. I think that is sea in the original photo - a settlement along the coast. But I don't know where it is.

I think it is the Neolithic settlement Smilčić, near Zadar. <-- Croatia really does look interesting. I haven't been there.

From Wikipedia:
The Neolithic period (c. 6000 BC – c. 3000 BC) was characterised by the emergence of permanent, organised settlements, and by the production of earthenware and other items. In the Adriatic area, the most significant Neolithic cultures are the Impresso, Danilo and Hvar cultures, and, in the interior, the Sopot and Korenovo cultures, while the major sites where finds have been recovered are Smilčić near Zadar, Danilo near Šibenik, Markova and Grapčeva Caves on Hvar, and others. In the early Neolithic period, the Starčevo, Vinča and Sopot cultures were scattered between and around the Sava, the Drava and the Danube. Notable are the excavation sites of Ščitarjevo near Zagreb, Sopot near Vinkovci, Vučedol near Vukovar, Nakovanj on Pelješac.

Smilčić, near Zadar, one of the richest Neolithic sites on open ground. The settlement was surrounded by a defence moat and the dwellings were huts built above ground from interwoven branches. It has been established that the settlement developed in two stages: the earlier stage, with finds from the Impresso culture, and the later stage, characterised by the Danilo culture. Among the finds, some ceramic, richly decorated cultic vessels with four feet (rhytons) stand out, as well as various vessels decorated with paintings and engravings.

OK! It is Monkodonja, a Bronze-age hill fort a short distance from the seaside town of Rovinj in Croatia. With those views, it was a great piece of real estate! The site is still being excavated, but in wandering around and reading the surprisingly helpful signs you can get a good idea of what was once there. http://www.smrikve.com/istria/books/smrikve/places/west-istria/monkodonja/

So, who is up next? Pauline was closest.

Everyone must be traveling or out enjoying the summer! I know that I was today! I'll leave this here and wait for someone to start the guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina