• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was switching my answer from seaside to coal mining, but I guess it is seaside. Bronze from being in the sun?

FYI Searching google images is NOT helping.

This statue commentates a practice in England from the 18th and 19th century as an occupation, however it was still alive in the 20th century by children. Now outlawed because of the danger to children it still happens.

Well it is time to go outside and pick up branches and sticks from the ice storm we had this week, so I leave you with a picture hint

nextone1.jpg

Last edited:
Not cockles and mussels

Well this picture, I would think, will make it pretty easy to identify the place for most of the British members and UK travelers.

Nextone2.jpg

From there one should be able to find out the background of the statue and what the girls were doing.

From the article: ‘Mudlarking was a form of begging, even though we entertained the people in the mud, which was fabulous.’ ‘We did cartwheels, headstands, rolled over in it. But there were some parts of the mud that were like quicksand and a couple of times I sank up to my neck. But we were lucky, the fisherman were always there to help us.’ She adds: ‘You can see in the book that we were all hard-working children, we didn’t just mudlark to help put money on the table,’ she adds. ‘We helped park the cars that came down to The Hard; we used to chop wood and sell bundles; we would go cockling and winkling, which was quite dangerous, and sell them in pint jars. We got up to all sorts to earn a few bob, but mudlarking was the easiest, the best, and the funniest.’

I have never heard of this before! Thanks for all the hints. :)

I'm next and I will figure something out and post Sunday.

Mudlarks.jpg

So I got to work in Portsmouth for 3 weeks a few years ago. The city is rich in Naval History, but honestly the mudlarks just fascinated me. I could watch them for hours just to see what they found.

Pauline you are up

Back in 18th and 19th century is was an occupation especially along the Thames. By the 20th century it became a way of children begging, and every now and then they would have a big find. Looking forward to your picture.

You got it @Ann . Now it is your turn!

Luca Signorelli - The Resurrection of the Flesh (c.1500)
In the Chapel of the Madonna di San Brizio in the cathedral of Orvieto (also known as the Cappella Nuova or Signorelli chapel).

Copied from Wikipedia (I think): The Resurrection of the Flesh is a study by Signorelli, exploring the possibilities of the male and female nude, while trying to recreate a three-dimensional setting. Signorelli shows his mastery in depicting the many positions of the human body. The risen, brought back to life, are crawling in an extreme effort from under the earth and are received by two angels in the sky blowing on a trumpet.

I love these frescoes!

That is a pretty scary fresco. Not sure I would want to sit under it during Mass...:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina