• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Watson, I mean PokeyMindy, you would not find Sherlock here.

If you do get a chance to go through the doors and go upstairs and peek out the window you will see...

guess006-1.jpg

It is much easier now since the old Chestnut tree fell in 2010

When the bell stopped in the tower above, no one behind the doors in mystery photo knew what time it was...
So Sad

Last edited:
Sorry Terry - One must leave the Isles of the Kingdom and head to the continent to open these doors.
BTW - the doors are always locked now - one has to go around the side of the building to gain entry.

So if one takes another look at the door on the far left they will see a street number.

door.jpg

Hmmm... I wonder if the address could be found in a book - you may want to check on the bookshelf

canal.JPG

Along this canal one will find Prinsengracht 263, which JustTravel has correctly identified as the Anne Frank house.

As one enters the building and goes upstairs, they will see a bookcase that lead to the hiding place. Once in the attic the story of what this family endured for 2 years comes alive. The only connection to the outside of the world is the view out a small window and the sound of the Westerkerk bell. The bell was removed and melted for the war effort, and the Frank family's world went silent. The Anne Frank house is well worth the visit, but be ready for long lines. Go early and plan on staying around 2 hours.

JustTravel you are up!

Last edited:
If one reads the book and then visits Anne's hiding place it can be a moving experience. I have been twice once in the dead of winter and it was not very crowded, and once in the spring and the crowds were much larger.

Enjoy Keukenhoff and don't forget to walk around the perimeter to look out at the tulip fields.

keukenhoff.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to post a shot of Keukuenhoff instead of the Anne Frank door. Haarlem market is one of favorite things to do in the Netherlands.

Headed to Charlottesville for the weekend so I am out on the photo mystery, but I have taken the exact photo.

I think that is from one of your trips to the Lot or the Dordogne (France). Something about the shape of the roof on that tower. But I can't get more specific - yet.

You're right, Pauline -- it is in the Dordogne. We're going to spend 2 1/2 weeks in La Roque-Gageac in May (our fifth stay there) and will certainly return to this village.

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina