• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Guess this photo - May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've got close enough yet! Catalunya is a big region... And so far, I've only set foot in Barcelona (and, aged 10, Cadaqués), so I don't recognise that mountain. Anyone else?

Bingo! And you only have to walk a little way away from the main throng of tourists to find quiet spots like that.

I tend not to go to well-known places, but this one should be fairly easy ...

seville0217-7fb.jpg

Not a great photo (the sort of lighting that is processed rather better by the human eye than by the iphone...), but a lovely city.
IMG_2884.JPG

Plaza Mayor - Salamanca Spain?

The last time I was there was in 1972. I will return!

SalaPM.JPG

Lot going on this morning - will post new picture later this afternoon.

How about this one?

newguess.jpg

I think I recognise it... from recurring nightmares, but I'm normally at the top of the slope :jawdrop::wideyed::eek::arghh:

Ian - I think I see you coming out of the tunnel :D

Built in the early 20s the jump was totally remodeled in 2007. My picture was taken in 2009.

I think that "Well known ski jumps of Europe" might be one of the more obscure topics on Mastermind.

I wouldn't even know where to begin to guess. Off the top of my head Innsbruck, Lillehammer errrrr thats all I can think of (I think Sarajevo must have had one, given there was a winter olympics there in 1984, but I have seen photos of the abandoned facilities, so I doubt this is it.

This particular one is still active.

I concur Tim it is a obscure, however, this particular one is halfway between two tourist destinations and is visible from the highway. We came around the corner and were surprised to see this massive jump! Being from the US and Virginia I had never seen one of these in person. I figured someone else would have been startled by the site.

Hint - Tim is on the right path with Olympic Venue

Innsbruck was my first thought too, but then it's the only one I've seen, and I imagine they all look pretty similar. Garmisch?

Located between Oberammergau, the town where the Passion is reenacted every 10 years by its citizens, and Mittewald, a quaint village of colorful houses known for their violin making skills, one will find this ski jump.

On the outskirts of Garmisch-Partenkirchen in full view of the highway, Große Olympiaschanze (the Great Olympic Hill) stands boldly. The jump was the location of the 1936 Winter Games closing and of course jumping events for the Olympics. 1936 was the last time that the summer and winter games were hosted in the same country.

Patrick – you are correct. Where to now?

6909956055_7f03eb3209_b_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina