• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Scenarios for travel in the near future

We are both sad. We have given up on any trip for this year. But hopeful for next year.

We are hoping that by the beginning of August we can have our family (we have a big one ~80 immediate) celebration of Mom's 90th birthday.

We will celebrate the Christmas holiday for the first time here in the US since 2005.

It is indeed a very different (as well as difficult) year!

I don't understand anyone who still thinks travel will be possibly for the remainder of 2020. I have serious doubts about travel being 'safe' even in 2021. Much will depend on WHEN a vaccine is developed, HOW QUICKLY it can be distributed, then ensuring that ENOUGH people are vaccinated to provide protection for the majority. "They" keep saying a vaccine is 12-18 months out, so you do the math.

I don't understand anyone who still thinks travel will be possibly for the remainder of 2020.

Some people will get Covid-19 and will then be able to travel knowing they are immune (if it turns out you get immunity). Others may decide that they are healthy enough to survive it if they get it. We traveled during the Swine Flu epidemic to the UK where it was running rampent (and we both got it and lost 3 weeks of a 9 week trip). Of course, we were 10 years younger then and Swine Flu was not as bad as Covid. And others may figure out a way to travel and keep socially distancing (that's us).

Right now I would be happy if they just let us travel within the UK. I asked Steve where he would go if we could travel in the UK. He said Lyme Regis, a 15 minute drive away. We can't go there now because we cannot do any non-essential travel in a car. I would go to the coast of southern Wales (which was the next trip I had planned).

I've been working on sewing face masks and finally found a good pattern.

IMG_2269.jpeg

I have masks ordered from 2 different places. Prices vary wildly! I picked two companies that were recommended and hope they're comfortable! Right now we're wearing bandanas with a coffee filter folded inside, and they attach with rubber bands around our ears! Since we only go out once or week or less, it's not been a problem, but I am looking forward to having masks that fit better. I wish I still had a sewing machine! Well done you!

Since we live in NYC, I'm a little reluctant to even guess when I'd feel comfortable traveling. There's just so much unknown about whether we can still get it, whether we've had it already, whether our antibodies would therefore give us any kind of immunity, whether we could infect anyone without realizing &, most importantly, whether a "second wave" might hit while we were away from home. And, outside of the virus itself, we'd be very cautious about travel away from the USA due to medical insurance (we're both on Medicare + secondary) & pharmacy coverage (Walgreen/Duane Reade has a national computer network that works very easily in country, but can get glitchy elsewhere). And then there's the social aspect of airport security (remember, we're still removing shoes 19 years after 9/11), new restaurant & bar regulations and general sightseeing issues. Best case scenario for us would probably be Montreal next spring. Maybe some domestic car road trips beforehand but, without raising partisan politics, this fall may not be good for that either. Especially for us very opinionated (& verbal) folk :muted:.

Others may decide that they are healthy enough to survive it if they get it.
It's not that simple Pauline, the vast majority of people get no or mild symptoms but some healthy people are becoming seriously ill and even dying of Covid-19 and it's not yet clear why. I consider myself a healthy person but after observing what's happened around me (Lombardy, Italy), I would not knowingly do anything to put myself or my family at risk of catching it, even if that means not traveling.
To" figure out a way to travel but keep social distancing" would be great, but travel can involve a lot of unexpected events and it's difficult to factor in everything. It also depends on whether or not the locals in the place you are travelling to are going to want tourists, which inevitably pose a risk, even if it is legal......

We are supposed to be in France now for ten weeks. At this stage we are not even considering being able to travel this year, and are not even hopeful about this time next year.
We are in Australia which at this stage has not been as severely affected as other countries thank goodness. We have had lock downs, strict social distancing and strong travel restrictions. There are still people returning from overseas and they are quarantined for 14 days in hotels. The state we live in has closed its borders with even residents returning from interstate requiring a permit to enter. This weekend we have had an easing which allows us to travel 50kms from home. We will be happy if we can travel within our state in the near future.
I agree with Tina. Some areas probably do not want visitors. I know the rural regions of Australia certainly do not want people from areas of infection coming there. That was one of the reasons our state closed its borders because we get lots of ' grey nomads ' in their caravans coming up here for the winter months.
We are like Pauline when we travel to France. We drive, we stay in self catering in country France, do not use public transport, eat out only occasionally, and do not have a lot of contact with others. So social distancing is not difficult for us. But the risk is still there.
I am hoping I am wrong, but I am not optimistic about returning to France for quite a while.

I think it will be important for those in the US who want to travel abroad to realize restrictions for them to enter other countries will probably not be based on pandemic status in their state but the worst state. It is a US passport, no a CA or TX passport.

Travel might resume already in the next few weeks between certain countries that are supposedly getting control over the spread of the virus. By adopting common protocols, they could establish "clean" airports", and offer quick testing in order to avoid the necessity for the quarantine of travelers.

Travel might resume already in the next few weeks between certain countries that are supposedly getting control over the spread of the virus.

Looks like it is Austria, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, Greece, and Czech Republic that might coordinate to open borders to each other. It will be a long time until the UK and US are included I think.

I just cancelled my September trip to Italy. We couldn't see how they can pull off a walking tour without people being in close proximity to each other. We hope to rebook for 2021. I was finally going to spend some time in Bologna before the tour. I have only been to the airport and train station. I'll have to wait an entire year for all of those delicious meals. I'll keep checking to see how they are doing opening things up slowly and thoughtfully.

Here is an article about flying in the US right now. Yikes!

The Atlantic - I Just Flew. It Was Worse Than I Thought It Would Be.
The surreal experience of flying during a pandemic, and the false promise of a return to normal by MCKAY COPPINS

This months trip to Italy has been cancelled. However, we rescheduled for October, 2020. Waiting to see if that happens, which I doubt, but have already rebooked for May, 2021, just in case. I'm one of those people who really needs something to look forward to. Having nothing, would cause me even more grief. At our age, we have no idea how many trips are in our future. That adds to the sadness.

I so agree with the looking forward to travel every year. 2021 seems so far away. I am fortunate to have a job I love, but I also need time away to recharge.

Something the airlines should have done is consolidate flights, instead of just flying 23 people on a flight, I'm sure they could have doubled or tripled that number

Back when I was in the military, it was like 1975 or 76 when there was a major pilot strike and to get home from California my flight made like 7 stops Las Vegas, Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Denver....etc.. You didn't have the option of direct flights.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina