• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Slow Europe Contest 2019 - Discussion

We are in the last few days of the contest. Enter by Friday noon on the US East Coast!! Prizes are listed at the top of this thread. Enter the contest in this thread.

Remember, there is no judging of entries like we did in the SlowTrav contests. Once you qualify to enter by having 10+ posts and posting a trip report or resource, you post in the Enter the Contest thread. Names of people who have entered are put in a hat and winners are randomly drawn.

This is so exciting! We have our 44 entries. The drawing happens tomorrow. I can't wait to see who wins!! And it will be fun watching people choose their prizes.

Still, nothing like the excitement of those two SlowTrav contests!! Remember them? We did things differently then with big prizes and then lots of prizes donated by members. Also the moderators had to read all the submissions and select the winners - that was a lot of work. I think those two contests took years off my life - but, worth it!!

I think I have the pages listing the winners from those old contests. I will see if I can screensnap them or something. Memories.

View attachment 18694
Contest entry member names cut into slips.

View attachment 18696
Check list (names were triple checked), names in jar (easier to shake around), Tilley Hat to be used (this is probably the one we used 15 years ago), British Airways Premium Economy eye mask (for Steve to wear when drawing names).

See you in 4 hours!
You two are too funny! All that's missing is a glass of wine!

So that second Slow Travel contest... I had something like eight chances in the hat based on all the things I posted after our long trip. Several of us were at a GTG on Lookout Mountain, and we were watching the drawing live... I was so excited. My name was first drawn something like #50. No big "week at a villa" prize for me! But Charley and I now have two Tilley hats and two books signed by Mario Batali.

The first contest we were traveling in the Cotswolds on our long trip and didn't have daily access to the internet. (This was in the summer of 2004... internet access was different back then!) My name was drawn early and I almost missed the cut-off to choose a prize! Wendy reached me somehow at our rental in the Cotswolds, and I remember being on a public computer at the Moreton-in-Marsh library frantically looking over the list of prizes to see what we could use while traveling over the next year. We had a wonderful cooking class in Florence with Diva (Judy), something we would not otherwise have been able to afford to do.

Wishing everyone good luck in today's drawing! My name is in the (Tilley) hat, but I'm actually more excited to see who chooses the prize we donated.... 50% off a week at our apartment in Provence.

The first SlowTrav contest was in 2004. @Valerie was the witness!

1555167796097.png

The second SlowTrav contest was in 2006. @Shannon 's mother Connie was the witness!

1555167869286.png

Photos taken at our house in Santa Fe. Looks like we used my big yellow bowl instead of the hat the second time.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina