• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel Plans 2019?

I am still working on this year’s trips. We are going to spend November in Israel (after our great March trip, we decided to go back).

Next year I would like to go to Ireland.

So I guess it is time to start thinking about 2019!

We are considering Venice in May for the Bienniale and a week or two elsewhere, perhaps in the Veneto.
Then in October, thinking Spain.
And if a stray killer airfare pops up, London is always a great Winter getaway for museums and theater.

What's on your horizon?
In Spain, you should go to Barcelona, Toledo, Salamanca, Madrid. Beautiful places. I'm planning to go to Greece (not sure about dates yet) and Portugal. Right now my sister is in Salamanca, so I might visit her in February.

Since I'm going on three trips in 2018 (two vacation, one work related), I had no plans whatsoever for any travels in 2019 until recently. My older daughter and I are now dreaming of a return to Italy after Easter, so late April-early May. Nothing definite though. I found a fab looking apartment in Irsina (Basilicata) that I've bookmarked with high hopes, but we could end up anywhere at this point!

Just thought I would pass along this beautiful 500 year old stone house in the middle of the town of Beynac. We always stay in this lovely place, and they just added the pool. Sitting on the terrace, overlooking the river, and Castles beyond is truly special. Two master bedrooms. Warning, it is a bit hard to get in and out of, since it's in the middle of the village, half way up to the castle. The house is also on three floors, and has a very modern kitchen. We love the place so much, we can't stay away. It was once owned by an actual Knight. The owner lives in the states, and is easy to contact.

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p409858

We're doing something we've never done before: a transatlantic cruise (Queen Mary 2) in late May. We'll stay in England for 2.5 weeks (Hereford, Cornwall, and Kent) and then head over to France for about three weeks (Brittany, the Dordogne, and the Loire Valley).

We almost planned for all of the trip on the continent because of Brexit, but the pull of England is too much. How are others heading to England in 2019 feeling?

Our big concern (hopefully unwarranted) is the trip from England to France. If no deal is reached, do you think it could disrupt travel into May and June? (I know no one really knows...just looking for gut feelings). We haven't decided if we'll fly, take a ferry, or the Eurostar into France. I haven't seen much written about how travel to and from the continent will work aside from articles about UK citizens travelling to the continent. What are your thoughts, UK friends?

Our plans are slowly taking shape, but as usual, I have several different scenarios. Our possibilities include (but are not limited to!):

• Fly to Scotland for the Royal Tatoo (held during August), staying no more than a week, and NOT renting a car. (I'm NEVER driving on the left again) We may or may not spend a few days in London before flying to Italy in mid-to-late August. Right now all the TA cruises are too expensive so we'd probably just fly home in early Nov.
  • Fly directly to Italy in early to mid August, staying for about 3 months. During that time we'd make a visit to either Sicily or Croatia. Fly home in early November.
I'm completely up in the air over these possibilities, but hope to narrow them down soon. I think Art would prefer Sicily first, then Croatia, but those would require more research than Scotland/England, and I'm getting lazy in my old age and prefer easier, more familiar places.

New Zealand in January, Puglia and Amalfi Coast in late April, early May, Florence/Tuscany and Venice in latter half of July.

May also book something in September as well.

I think we will go back to Israel for a month in March/April since we had such a good trip there this year. And 3 - 4 weeks in Switzerland in August/September like are doing this year. Same place - Lenk. This has become a regular trip for us (this year will be our 5th year going to Lenk). I am not sure where else. We need to schedule some time to travel more in the UK and Ireland!

Topping this thread so we can all start thinking about this.

I’ve booked 3 weeks in Lenk, Switzerland in our same apartment starting the last week of August, same as this year. We will drive our UK car there again. I am thinking about a week after in Provence because @Janie will be there and this is my chance to meet her. Unfortunately @Kathy ’s apartment in Bonnieux is booked so I will have to do some searching.

We just got home from Israel, our 2nd trip this year (our 2nd trip ever), and I am working on a 4 week trip in March 2019. We are officially obsessed with Israel. I should have it booked this week.

Other than those two big trip we might skip Italy this year and start traveling within the UK and Ireland. Cornwall? Wales? Lake District? Ireland? Fingers crossed for a sunny, hot summer again.

Since I'm now looking after my mom, our trips next year will be shorter than usual. However, since we have a lot of miles, points and airline credits to use, we'll still be doing traveling, just spread out more.

End of February-beginning of March--one week Girona, one week Barcelona
July--one week in an oceanfront cottage in Maine
October--two weeks Venice

I've started booking stuff for next year. We'll do just like we did this year, visiting the grandgirls in DC, then drive to Philly for a direct flight to Edinburgh. We'll be there for 5 days. I've booked that flight using FF miles, and booked the Air BnB I linked to on another post. After that we'll fly from Edinburgh to Italy, and be there for 11 weeks.I haven't booked that flight yet; as @Andrew pointed out, schedule changes are likely this far out, so I'm waiting. I have booked our rental car for the 11 weeks in Italy and as usual, will check back with Kemwel and AE periodically to see if the rate drops - but the rate is already $500 lower than last year!

At the end of October we'll take an overnight ferry from Rome to Barcelona and spend a few days in Barcelona before boarding a repositioning cruise. I've booked an apt in Barcelona but not the ferry. The cruise stops in Cartegena, Malaga, Cadiz and overnights in Lisbon, so we'll get two days there instead of the usual one short day. Bonus: this ship returns to Tampa, so we won't have a 4+ hour drive back home, just a quick Uber ride!

All I need to book is the flight from Edinburgh to Rome, the ferry from Rome to Barcelona, and a rental for 11 weeks in Italy.

New Orleans, as usual, in the Spring for both weekends of Jazz Fest, and then in the Fall, Italy. I was able to get Frequent Flyer Business class tickets both to Pisa and back from Rome, so we , hopefully, will be enjoying those. From Pisa to Lucca to visit ex-pat friends who have emigrated there, and then to Sicily for Shannon's GrapeHops wine tour. After that, directly back home and then to New Orleans again (no Venice this year, sob!) because my 55th high school reunion is in early November. How did we get so old?

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina