• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Scenarios for travel in the near future

Patience......

No travel for us in the near future. :confused: We were supposed to be in Brugge Belgium right now through the first week of July. But with this pandemic and some medical issues unrelated to the covid19, all future travel for us is on hold. I don't feel comfortable being cooped up in an airplane for some 11-12 hours until this virus is under control and there is a vaccine that has been proven effective and available. I don't trust the current US administration to be truthful.

Sorry, no English equivalent ? ;-)
Which tangentially reminds me of this (I got a similar T-shirt for an Italian tutor)
1590925553506.png

Whether or not herd immunity is ever achieved, herd behavior is inescapable, so, perhaps more than most of our group, I expect a somewhat premature and progressively expanding move back to ‘very large’ if not immediately ‘massive’ tourism by next spring/summer, with the usual suspects bearing the brunt (Rome, Florence, Venice, Amalfi coast, etc).
I confess that my 73 y.o. self will be in that number.

Renewal of flights has still many obstacles to overcome, even when suitable procedures are put in place. Indonesia's national carrier, Lion Air had to cancel its resumption of flights only weeks after kicking things off again, because of insufficient compliance with the new rules by passengers.
It is still hard to make plans for foreign travel in the near future, in spite of the reassuring messages we have been hearing in the tourism industry lately.

Last edited:
Whether or not herd immunity is ever achieved, herd behavior is inescapable, so, perhaps more than most of our group, I expect a somewhat premature and progressively expanding move back to ‘very large’ if not immediately ‘massive’ tourism by next spring/summer, with the usual suspects bearing the brunt (Rome, Florence, Venice, Amalfi coast, etc).
I confess that my 73 y.o. self will be in that number.
If you ever tire of the tourist crowds, then I'd take great joy in suggesting places that can avoid them, yet would still appeal to your interests. I think that's true of many here.

If you ever tire of the tourist crowds, then I'd take great joy in suggesting places that can avoid them, yet would still appeal to your interests. I think that's true of many here.
We can always make use of your impressive store of knowledge, Ian. (I’ve always looked forward to your suggestions on this board). But I was actually referring to the likely resumption of traveling the most popular routes for most tourists in the relatively near future. But now that I have your offer to me on record, don’t think I won’t take you up on it. And thank you.

and it would absolutely be my pleasure!

There is also perhaps an argument, that for a very brief moment in time, some of the normally most tourist-frequented places will be quite a lot quieter. I can see the logic is grasping that brief opportunity.

Another one bites the dust :

I just cancelled our planned trip to Torino in October. This was only accommodations, so no money loss. We were hoping very much to attend the Salone del Gusto, which was officially announced two days ago. It will be held with many restrictions, and the exact details will be published only in mid-July.

I take my hat off to the organizers for deciding to go through with this, with all the uncertainty. But for us there are too many open questions, especially when we are focused on a food-related event, and one that attracts people and producers from all over the world. Unfortunately this is not a good time for international travel if you want to experience a full interaction with your surroundings. Not to mention the possibility of a "second wave", both at home or abroad, and a return to various types of quarantine or other unforeseen measures.

We are considering re-scheduling for May 2021 - we have never been to Piemonte except for autumn, and perhaps by this date things will have become more stable regarding Covid.
"Every cloud has a silver lining....".

Last edited:
Today for the first time in months I started trip planning! I think we can do our late August/September Switzerland trip where we drive from the UK. It looks like France will be open to UK travellers, as will Switzerland. The UK just started a 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK, even returning residents, but I think that will be gone by then.

If the world was normal we would be in France right now. We’ve driven there in June for the last few years.

I think our trip is possible because it is a hiking trip. We will be out on the trails, not in cities or museums. We usually do all our own cooking there. We will have to deal with hotels and restaurants for 2 nights each way on the drive.

TThe UK just started a 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK, even returning residents, but I think that will be gone by then.
Hopefully you'll be right, but be aware that we are seeing second outbreaks (if not "waves") in many places in the world. Here in Israel, the daily number of newly infected has gone up from single digits a month ago to over 200 these last days, and there is still a compulsory 14 day self-quarantine period for anyone, including citizens, coming in from abroad.
These second outbreaks are to be expected, as people have the impression that the worst is over, and are being lax in observing restrictions. There will be reluctance to go back to extreme restrictions, but nonetheless they are not completely off the table, and this could cause disruptions of previous plans.

So, after my dire warnings about post(?)-Covid-19 travel here I am picnicking in the park in San Gimignano. Living in one of the worst hit provinces (Brescia) of one the worst hit regions (Lombardy) in one of the worst hit countries (Italy) in Europe probably has something to do with it. After four months at home (a record for the last few years), the temptation of a quick trip to visit places which would normally be overwhelmed by tourists this time of year won.
We drove to Colle di Val d'Elsa, are staying in a spotlessly clean apartment which was last occupied at the beginning of March, are shopping in the supermarket with all the usual precautions for supplies for cooking in the evening and picnicking at lunchtime, a thermos flask supplies coffee.
So, what's it like? Delightful, for the lack of tourists about (from a tourist point of view obviously, not for all those whose livelihood depends on tourism). We visited Siena Wednesday and Thursday, very few people about, some attractions closed, others free entry, restaurants and bars half open, 90% empty, hand sanitizing compulsory everywhere. Masks compulsory when visiting attractions, some temperature scanning but not everywhere. People generally keep their distance.
However I have the impression here in Italy, especially outside Lombardy, people think the emergency is pretty much over and are going to be getting out and about again soon. But of course, no coaches full of groups, no organised tours.....
On Sunday we'll go home because we have our first guests arriving at the Lake Iseo apartment, a brave couple from Germany...... let's hope slow respectful careful travel can cautiously get started again.......

...... let's hope slow respectful careful travel can cautiously get started again.......
It probably can, but to me it looks like it will be a lot less enjoyable. Unless of course one is not looking to interact very much with the human part of the surroundings....;)

After four months at home (a record for the last few years), the temptation of a quick trip to visit places which would normally be overwhelmed by tourists this time of year won.

Good for you! In the UK we can’t do non-essential travel but that may change in a couple of weeks. And we have the 14 day quarantine on return but that may change. I have a feeling that as soon as things open up I’ll be booking something in France or the UK.

It probably can, but to me it looks like it will be a lot less enjoyable. Unless of course one is not looking to interact very much with the human part of the surroundings....;)
You could be right. On the one hand workers in contact with the public (ticket offices etc) seem a bit irritable and unhelpful, although I can understand they could be feeling stressed and they generally weren't particularly friendly before ( I'm generalising here about Northern Italy and don't want to offend anyone, but I do notice the big difference when we go to Andalucía and in the same situation people are actually nice and friendly and helpful).
On the other hand a lot fewer tourists can also mean that those that do turn up are viewed in a more positive way, the Coronavirus emergency also provides an instant topic of conversation as people are still trying to make sense both of what has happened and the 'new normal'.
I think friendly respectful visitors will be able to interact as before.

On the other hand a lot fewer tourists can also mean that those that do turn up are viewed in a more positive way, the Coronavirus emergency also provides an instant topic of conversation as people are still trying to make sense both of what has happened and the 'new normal'.
I think friendly respectful visitors will be able to interact as before.

I am sure that both tourists and locals will appreciate each other in these times. I am looking more at the uneasiness in routine interactions, which will make activities less enjoyable for both sides :
Do you come down to your breakfast in your agriturismo wearing a mask?
How exactly do you stand by someone that has put his mask on his chin, while the both of you stand at a vegetable stall in the market?
What about the stronger smells of disenfectant in your accommodations? The pressure on the hosts to keep everything sterile?
What can you touch when you get on a bus or taxi?
Even not seeing the face of a person you are talking to can be frustrating...
And probably other situations which I can't imagine right now. Not to mention sudden changes in policies, over which you have no control.

If you have saved up for a trip and travel is a relative luxury for you, then it makes you seriously question if it is not better to postpone for a year (like we have just decided).

If one believes we might want to try to adapt to this brave new world rather than wait an unknown and perhaps very long time for a return to our longed for pre-covid19, pre-social distancing, pre-face mask world, then I applaud those who are trying to find safe ways to do so and would benefit much from hearing about their experiences. So please be generous with the follow up reports - how your presence was received, how you coped with restrictions and whether you could still find enjoyment in your travels, any advice, recommendations, etc.
Grazie mille.

Another way to examine this is to see how your own local routine has changed or not - personally, I am going to town and to relatively crowded places a lot less than before. It just isn't the same. I have enough things to keep me busy that I can (sadly) strike many previous activites off the list. I miss them, but I prefer to wait until things calm down to return to them with pleasure. Same with travel.
Yes, it would be interesting to hear from people who do travel, how they are feeling about their experience.

Another issue that will impact how much one enjoys their travel, is how many businesses will re-open fully after lockdowns have been removed, but restrictions still exist. When people go out less, and also have less money to spend because of the economic repercussions of Covid, many small businesses might close down or drastically reduce their working hours. For tourists, this means less businesses to experience. Certain cultural events and activities also might decrease in number and change in character, because of the issue with the maximum amount of people allowed to participate.

Here in Israel it is being reported that many business properties are being offered for rent or sale, at 30-50 percent the price before lockdown.

I also thought that this interview from The Times of Israel with a leading epidemiologist is a very informative and serious read on the present state of affairs in the world and in Israel with regards Covid - worth a look.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina